Your Opinion on 5.0 Mustangs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Opinion on 5.0 Mustangs

I happen to be very involved in the Mustang scene, im a purchasing/sales manager for a huge mail order company that deals in 1965 - current Mustang parts. I also own and run a local Mustang forum ( www.steelcitystangs.com ) with over 1100 members, we have alot of guys with other makes and models that feel welcome there but it is Mustang specific board. We do track and car show meets and get togethers a few times a year.

I always had Camaros growing up (aprox 30) 70 - 81 camaros but got tired of the same old and yearned for something a little more "high tech" so I picked up a 92 Z28 a about 10 years ago. I only kept the 92 a few months, got tired of getting embarassed by the "Cocky" 5.0L Mustang guys, the rear end was puny, no room for dual exaust, the hate list goes on from there. I still had my 74 Z w/32,000 miles on it but decided to pick up an 80 Mustang coupe as a project, it was a Mustang but not an EFI car like all the spoiled brats had and that intrigued me. It was the most fun you could have with your clothes on for me at the time, I fell deep into the mod bug and prefered to take it out on a saturday night instead of the Camaro. Fast forward a year or two, the Camaro was sold and replaced with a few other mustangs here and there and also leading to my current job. It is getting very hard to find a decent fox Mustang anymore and when you do they bring a premium.

I currently have a 2003 Mustang Cobra that I bought new and drag race, a 90 GT rag top cruiser and also an 80 coupe project my dad and I are working on for him. We are in the process of installing a 4.6 32 valve Cobra engine in it with a carb and N2O.

The thing that surprises me the most is how serious people have become about restoring the fox cars, there isn't a day that goes by that there isn't a new part that comes into reproduction and they fly out the door as fast as they come in. Who would have ever thought?

My vote for your project would be to do a 2003 cobra drivetrain swap, its been done but not over done yet. How else could you lay down 5-600 RWHP on a stock long block, take it road racing, then to the drag strip and run 10s or 11s all day long and then drive it across country in comfort with A/C and power steering?

Comment

I've always thought they were a nice platforms for a hot rod. Cheap, fairly reliable, gobs of aftermarket stuff, death traps. yopu know what every growing hotrod junkie needs! They also seem to have a near fanatic fan base.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
        Some options:

- Stick an FE in it, just because we can.
        Does a 390 in a 63 Meteor wagon sound like fun? That's what I'm getting ready to do in the shop now!

Comment

Best non ported stock pullied eaton pass
          1.50 60ft 11.160@ 125.08

wow. that's awesome...!

welcome aboard!
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Sleepers rule. Dont know if I wrote HR in the past or not...but an article dedicated to Sleepers would be the $hit.
            How to's, what you did, what he did in the name of secrecy would be write on! Think pages of Urban's Nova and the like.
            I'll show you mine, if you show me yours.

With that being said...put your GEN III in it.

Comment

As for me I am not into anything newer then 1976. I love the 69-70 Mustang CJ cars but I just dont care for any of the newer stuff. I dont care how good they can run with the power adders I am just an old Nostalgic muscle car guy. They are an easy platform to modify but I really dont care for the looks of them either. Ron

Comment

I obviously got to put it in terms most can understand...

Nitrous the Pee out of it... till it pukes it's GUTS... make it fun... shoot, make a weekend out of it... tape it... ( no inside Van Pic's )....

Then Stick that Hemi in it with the Tunnel ram and Dual carb's hang it WAY out of the Hood.... Yeah Might need to put a Blower on it... Hmmm with Dual carb's and that Intercooler thingy... Yea... Think WAY Out of the HOOD...

Both Steve and I would approve...

K

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger

- Stick an FE in it, just because we can.
                  Yes Please.

Comment

Thanks!!! It was the quickest in the country for 2 years in stock longblock form. It now is the quickest 03 / 04 Cobra with the stock supercharger @ 10.55.

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                    Best non ported stock pullied eaton pass
                    1.50 60ft 11.160@ 125.08

wow. that's awesome...!

welcome aboard!

Comment

Well, any car is a LOT more interesting with an FE in it... ;D

Edit: You know, there are a couple of guys in the FE world coming out with aftermarket SOHC kits. I'm scheduled to get one early next year, and I'm going to use it as the starting point for a "low buck" cammer, using a 391 truck block, and putting together about a 460" SOHC, 650-700 HP or so. Maybe I could loan it to you for the project when I'm finished with the build. I'm pretty sure it would fit. Just thinking out loud here, don't know if the details would work out :-X

Comment

Originally posted by jaybnve
                        Well, any car is a LOT more interesting with an FE in it... ;D
                        Even a Camaro!

We tried to swing a Hemi into my '67 Camaro. Stupid steering box says its not gonna happen, at least not with a header tube on a port or two. Maybe we should try my 390.

Comment

Been done,

Chris Uratchko's Phord powered Camaro

Comment

The Fox-body Mustangs were the most affordable, most prolific, most-modded

and easily among the quickest-for-the-buck vehicles of the '80's & early '90's.

Let's NEVER forget what slim pickin's Detroit foisted on us during those years.

These cars kept hope alive for a horrific decade that Detroit really could still

build a LIGHT, AFFORDABLE, EASILY/CHEAPLY-MODDED car.

With 2-ton GTOs, 2-ton Camaros & 2-ton Challengers in the 40K range coming...

totallly swollen techno-nightmare "bloatmobiles"...will any one build the equivalent

of a 1993 Mustang 5.0 coupe EVER again?

Comment

I'm not interested if it's a hatchback. The ones with the little trunk look all buisness though. To me the 5.0 ford is cool out of the box ( stock ) but like the 5.0 chevy not worth building. You can build a bigger small block just as cheep. So FE it and cannonball it or 351 c or w it and road race it .

Comment

I was the president of a local Mustang club for 10 years through the '90's and I can say I got a little tired of looking at them,stepped away for 4 years and started noticing a new trend, the young import guys have now gotten away from their Hondas and are starting to embrace the power of rear wheel drive.I've owned several versions of the Fox body cars and loved them all,my brother and own an'85 four-eyed coupe that runs 10's with a 351C,but my current street car project is a '64 Comet Cyclone, I just bring myself to build another 5.0L mustang.

Comment

Working...
                                X