Your Opinion on 5.0 Mustangs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Opinion on 5.0 Mustangs

They we're a good entry level hotrod for a ford guy,or could be as wild as you want to be.
    I like Sleeper cars.

Comment

Originally posted by PYSCHOWard
      They we're a good entry level hotrod for a ford guy,or could be as wild as you want to be.
      I like Sleeper cars.
      It is an LX model we're talking about, right? Could make a good sleeper. Add Power, keep it quiet, only show one tailpipe, etc.

Comment

I have to agree with Keith in that they seem to be average. I owned a new 1986 Mustang GT with the Police Package in it. With a GT 40 intake, Shorty Headers, a worked over T5 5 Speed, Hypertech Module, Larger Throtlebody, and BP303 Cam. It was quite fast for a Street Car. Later on sometime in the early 1990's it was ProStreeted and was a great looking car. I traded it for an all origional 1926 Model T with the Ruckstell Rearend in it. What a changem but it was a fun car to.

Comment

Found a silver 5.0 Coupe last week with a "Shotgun Package". ???

Had a decal of a double-barrel shotgun on the left-side of the

trunklid & metal plaque on the dash in front of passenger seat.

What was this??

Comment

I'm a Ford guy, I've had two fox-bodied 'Stangs and I love 'em. Unfortunately, their owners tend to be closed minded and "clique-ish". I learned to drive stick on a '90 5L LX Notch; bad ass car! No shame in a 5.0 daily driver, but I like the whole dare to be different and low buck vibe of this sight. If it's subject matter here, no bolt ons and preferably low buck turbo. Just my 2 cents.

Brad
            Originally posted by Remy-Z
            Total shot in the dark, but I'll throw in my two cents:

Convert whatever year it is to '79-'82 front/rear clips, interior. Seems 83-up gets more respect. Paint it some funky cream or brown color. Keep a conservative 5-bolt pattern cheap aftermarket rim package on the car. Hide the pipes, tune down the exhaust note to quiet. If you are gonna 'cage the car, try to hide it or blend it with the interior. Do the purposeful "worn look" tricks to the paint, and NO SCOOP. Run the '85 style dual-snorkel cleaner, make the engine look bone-stock as possible, and go hunting.
            I had a yellow '79 hatch, the front looks like a same-vintage AMC, perfect! The cheap chrome-tooth trailer looking wheels would be great. Turbos keep cars quiet. Explorers have 3.73 gears in 8.8s (different housing), Aerostars have five lug parts and aluminum driveshafts. GT40P heads are pretty good (Explorer 5.0). Re-inforce the torque boxes and add subframe connectors, this thing could do 10's with J/Y parts.

Brad

Comment

I had one 12-13 years ago... would buy another... great bang for the buck! Theres 2 thing I hate lining up with... 5.0 stangs and vw... to hard to predict, and easy to lose against... :-[

Comment

I bought an '88 LX convert many years ago, light hit LF and RR. I fixed it to sell it. We liked it so much I kept it, but the 5.0 was too boring. So now it has a '96 5.8l w/Edelbrock heads, Lentch AOD, Max Motorsports rear suspension and 6 point bar, etc, etc, etc. I need to sell it, but I don't really want to. It's a fun little car for the $$, and that's nothing to be ashamed of.

I haven't run into the 5.0 snobs, but I don't go looking for them. Can't say they aren't out there.

Later
                Dan

Comment

I had a '79 Cobra in High school. It was a lot of fun and cheap to work on. Still lots of them around here in Ford Country.

Comment

WELL , I CERTAINLY FEEL BETTER ABOUT MY CAR NOW. SEEMS IT MAY GET RESPECT FROM MOST PEOPLE HERE. QUITE A FEW PEOPLE ON TOUR WILL NOT EVEN PARK NEXT TO THEM. THEY ARE WAY TO COMMON, SURE, BUT I'VE DONE THREE LONG HAULS WITH NO PROBLEMS EVER. I JUST SEEM TO GET SNUBED ALOT WITH IT. I'D LIKE TO HAVE A 50-60'S MUSCLE CAR TO RACE/SHOW/CRUISE, BUT COME ON...HOW MANY 26 YEAR OLDS CAN FULFILL THAT? ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 88ponypowr
                      WELL , I CERTAINLY FEEL BETTER ABOUT MY CAR NOW. SEEMS IT MAY GET RESPECT FROM MOST PEOPLE HERE. QUITE A FEW PEOPLE ON TOUR WILL NOT EVEN PARK NEXT TO THEM. THEY ARE WAY TO COMMON, SURE, BUT I'VE DONE THREE LONG HAULS WITH NO PROBLEMS EVER. I JUST SEEM TO GET SNUBED ALOT WITH IT. I'D LIKE TO HAVE A 50-60'S MUSCLE CAR TO RACE/SHOW/CRUISE, BUT COME ON...HOW MANY 26 YEAR OLDS CAN FULFILL THAT? ;D
                      Sometimes people with cubic dollars are like that, On P.T. '04 I had a guy do that to me in Springfield ,Mo. Well I just foung a bunch of guys driving 3rd gen F-bodies ,they were all half my age but really showed some comroddery when the next day my car died after the lunch break at Lake of the Ozarks .They pulled chips and computers out of their own cars trying to get me going .They didn't want to leave me but finally HAD to chase them off .

Comment

These guys found us last year on Tour. We drove with them for two days. They had a bunch of different cars and 3 Fox mustangs. Ended up meeting Dave and getting our pics in the mag.

Comment

Originally posted by NMCA_Ron
                          I like Mustangs.... especially the 1973-1978 models!

Ron
                          You mean Hollywood Pintos. Had one love to beat the shit out of it the biggest problem was that they loved to rust weld.
                          HRPT 2004LH 2007LH 2008

Comment

Bought a new '86 and loved it. They are the 340 Duster/Darts of this decade. Just keep it on the street and on the cheap.
                            Remember when we were scrapin' together a grand to grab that Duster? Thats where the next generation of Hot Rodders are now,
                            scrapin' together that 5.0 two grand and searchin the want ads for gears and intakes. Keep the buildup aimed at that guy workin'
                            the parts counter and eatin' at the drive thru and show them how to go fast on the cheap. ( and be able to drive it to work
                            Monday morning). I remember a certain Dart....

Comment

I wrote a poem for this thread, a Justin Suhas original, jus fer you guys!

My dream fox body~

Notchback with t-tops, the slickest black.
                              5.0 stick with drag radials out back

Full cage hidden behind the interior
                              Badges removed to pose as inferior

The technology in your vette is truly space age
                              But apparently no match for my hidden two stage

T-tops on the ultimate 80's car? ...party on Wayne

Comment

I own a 93 coupe with a 331 and a 67 Fairlane GT with a 428cj. Both cars will run 11 sec et's. The mustang is way more streetable with a 3.73 rear, efi , and a 150 shot. Definitely a fun car, but like others have said...its been done before, and there are so many out there I feel the car is nothing special. But my 67 with its 12:1 big block, 4500 conv, and 456 rear certainly is special. Mainly I think because you just dont see that many of them. But also the sound and look of that 428 is nothing like that small block. Since the body on my fox is mint and the 67 needs a resto, I've thought how cool it would be to put my FE into the fox. I'd have a pretty neat ride. So I for one would love to see an FE swap into a fox. Mix a little old with new. And top it off with a lowbuck turbo setup.

Comment

Working...
                                X