Your Opinion on 5.0 Mustangs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Opinion on 5.0 Mustangs

I think a 5.0 would bring quite a bit of interest. Just figuring out how to do it would be the trick. I always respect the low buck route, tuning what the car came with stock to see what it can do, then throw some bolt-on parts at it. By bolt-on I mean exhaust, gears, tires, heads, cam throttlebody etc, no supercharger, turbo or spray. See what it would take to get it in the 11 sec range. And by 11sec. I mean 11, not 11.999 corrected. That's the kind of stuff I would like to see.

In the Northeast, the prices of decent 5.0 cars are still way up. Asking prices of $6500 a nice 87-88 GT are still common. $2500 or less gets you a "Winter Project" and about $3500 gets you a reasonably solid car that usually needs paint, tires, an interior that won't gross you out and has about 125K on it. Based on that I usually pass them up. I would rather spend that $$ on one of the cars I already own.

Comment

There's one For Sale a couple miles from here.87 or 88.5.0,5 speed.It don't look too bad,the charcoal grey with no stripes screams "repaint",but I didn't look it over too close.3500 and it's been there since last summer.Here's the rundown on MY opinion of them..
      Since I was brought up on Mopars,Chevy's and GTO's,I immediately dismissed them as crap.The first ones were dogs.I don't think they actually built fast ones until '85 or so.When I got out of high school (93) I got a job at a small car lot.I got to drive all sorts of cars,including several 5.0's.The EFI ones were way ballsy compared to the carb'ed ones which still weren't that bad.My buddy Dave has a Mercury Capri with a carbuerated 302 and a 5 speed.A really fun little car to drive.He bought an 88 GT cheap (rusty) and that car was even faster.Actually I know a few guys who really like 'em.You can get more bolt ons for them than anything,and used body parts are in most wrecking yards for cheap.Lots of the stereo-typical drivers (like Irocs and Trans Ams of the same era) but lots of real hot rodders building them too.I'm not real big on the swapping of different brand engines into them,but it's a light,plentiful,cheap platform that,with some modifications and tweaks makes a good drag car platform,whether 5.0 powered or not.I'd own one,but wouldn't get rid of my Charger or 'Cuda to do so.I'm kinda picky about what i'll buy though,and most 5.0's have been beaten,crashed,rusted beyond my taste.

Comment

For the money I payed and have into my Plymouth I could have picked up a cherry Mustang with goodies and been having fun. BUT my opinion of the Mustang is based on the people who own them around here...your right DF they seem to be in a little Clique with no regard for any other classic or performanced based machine and I didnt want to be grouped into that catagory...there is a bit of a stigma that goes along with owning a 5.0....most are cocky, irresponsible, stupid kids. Is that true...no not really....but to further sway my opinion....I joined a car club (to remain nameless) and there is a huge fox body base as well as firebirds and camaros...I just didnt fit in...yet they called themselves a musclecar club...they wont talk to me...most wont respond to my posts....So is didnt buy one...

On the other hand...whats not to love about a car that has endless possibilities?

Comment

Too new, too common.

Comment

I don't care about how popular, new, common...

...they are one of the best street/strip cars out there. Light weight, well cared for by the aftermarket, and good looking, what more could you want? Not to mention, the ability to take pretty much whatever engine you wish to install.

It's an awesome low buck way to go fast.

Comment

Originally posted by min301

...they are one of the best street/strip cars out there. Light weight, well cared for by the aftermarket, and good looking, what more could you want? Not to mention, the ability to take pretty much whatever engine you wish to install.

If you do something with the TQ boxes......
              Or it make a mess on the road.

Comment

Cheap & fast has got my vote. I don't worry too much about what others think (maybe that'a why my wife is pissed & I'll probably sleep on the couch tonight).

Comment

If you talk to the guys at Maximum Motorsports, you find that the torque boxes aren't really a problem at all. The deal is that folks put stiff bushings in the rear control arms and put the suspension in bind - this, in turn, tears up the torque boxes. The cure is lower control arms with Heim joints and a Panhard bar. Nothing binds and the rear stays under the car. My 'Stang works great and it's been driven hard over the years.

Dan

Originally posted by Robert1320
                  Originally posted by min301

If you do something with the TQ boxes......
                  Or it make a mess on the road.

Comment

Also, most serious guys strip the floor, and weld up all the seams, as well as reinforcing the torque boxes.

A cage as well is a smart addition to further stiffness.

Comment

• Re: Your Opinion on 5.0 Mustangs

I'm very split on the Mustangs. Back in the mid-80s, I had an 84 GT with mildly built (read that as Edelbrock intake, cam, headers) and it was a fun little car. I agree with others that it is a pretty cheap and efficient way to go fast.

On the other hand, I'm not a fan of most of them because they seem to just be bottle babies that can be slapped together in a few eeks after being picked up at the local scrap yard. Given the relative lack of expense involved with these cars, most seem to pay little to no heed to safety and quality in them. See nearly any Pinks episode for reference. Moreover, I see a lot of very inexperienced drivers driving these cars that have been built well above the driver's ability. The term wall-magnet comes immediately to mind. Do not get me wrong, I know some guys who have some very - very fast 'Stangs and are very serious racers, I'm speaking more in general terms.

But, the defining characteristic for me is that our sport is about making cars faster, unique, cool, and/or interesting. Nowhere is it stated that it has to be a particular type of car. Given that, the 5.0 guys have found a platform with which to maximize their bang for the buck and that is to be applauded. I personally don't like most of them, but that does not diminish the efforts or accomplishments.

Comment

Definitely a fun car with tons of affordable options. I'm just not sure what else you do to one that hasn't been done to death. If the point of getting a 5.0 as a project is to provide interesting content for the website, how about building one to bomb a record in NHRA stock eliminator. As far as ownership, I definitely approve of some one getting a 5.0 mustang than one of those ricer Hondas!

Comment

me and my older brother had bought one of these a number of years ago (i think it was a 91). we bought the car just because we thought we needed a change of pace (worst mistake ever). we thought it would be cool but half way through the tear down process (like a week later) we looked at each other all scratched up because there isint that much room in it for our fat asses and scrapped the whole project. anyways we sold the car in pieces for 1500 bucks and only paid 500. we went out and bought a 88 toyota mini truck because that seemed like a better project.

im not a ford guy anyways plus half the cars runnin back east are 5.0 stangs

i have always felt that if you build a car the right way then you will be well recieved because you are into your car no matter what it is, but if you spend too much money on a damn paint job then your a dooder.

Comment

Dammn......they're like locusts... they're everywhere.. move on to something else..anything else. Dave

Comment

I'm just not that interested in 5.0's. The styling doesn't just grab me like my '69 does. I looked at buying a used '91 GT 5-speed after I moved to Detroit. The insurance would have been astronomical, basically 1/3 of the price of the car every year. I talked to some guys who'd had them, and they'd all been stolen, sometimes more than once. Nightmare stories about near death experiences trying to drive them in the winter. Third gear synchros were crunchy on that one, so I passed, never looked at another one. I think about half the cars at Milan on FME night are 5.0's, and they run the gamut from 8 seconds to 16 seconds. Carb'd, EFI'd, nitroused, turbo'd, supercharged, SBC'd, 460'd - I don't think there's anything I haven't seen done to a Fox body Mustang. How do you come up with something fresh?

I knew Ed Hohenberg back in Winnipeg who raced an all black '87 LX notchback 5.0 in Stock Eliminator, set some national records, and won an NHRA National Event in Atlanta with it. It was a pretty cool car, I think it ran low 12's and I know he wrote some articles for Mustang mags. Broke a lot of drivetrain parts though - sidestepping the clutch at 5800 rpm tends to find the weak link.

Comment

A 5.0 Mustang is on my list somewhere. But that's a long list.
                                The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                                X