Your Opinion on 5.0 Mustangs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your Opinion on 5.0 Mustangs

Cheap, nice looking, good performance platform, available manual trans, good rear end, tons of cheap performance parts... What's not to like.

Comment

Exactly.

I feel you guys who don't like em cause their in your face all the time, but done right, as DF would
      I'd bet even you guy's could find some things you like about it.

Comment

I'm hoping that 7,000-rpm clutch dumps and bangshifting and NA 9.90s make it entertaining.

Comment

I'm drooling.

That should sound wicked as hell!

Comment

better plan on higher then 7k to run 9.90s NA haha

when I ran PS I would launch at 7200 and shift at 7800, there are guys nearing 9-10k now

Comment

If ever there was a car in your fleet to absolutely have a giggle fest tossing Nitro on a junkyard short block until there's a boom; that is the car. Just get another junkyard shortblock after the explosion. Or, see how stages of nitrous it will take.

I am interested in seeing just how much abuse the original short blocks can take. I know a guy who has a LX coupe that has the original 150k mile short block with new heads and intake and vortech blower that runs in the tens. He says he's pumping 15 pounds of boost through and has been for about five years now.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The stock blocks usually split in half at about 500 hp. We don't really need to prove that again.

Comment

My two pennies.... ;D

There's not much I havn't seen with Fox's, either. I've owned about 20 of them over the years and they are fun. Done right they can be a blast to drive and a force to be reckoned with on the street.

I know they don't get respect all the time, but hey, not everyone likes the way they look.

I've got one right now that is lots of fun, reliable, fast (opinion-based of course), and I like it BUT......it's still just a Mustang.....it's not the 60's Ford that I wanted. My wallet can't handle the car I really want, I'm feeding my habbit with this Fox for now.

I think whatever you do should be a budget, lowest buck, junkyard crawl, stock block, drag/road/daily car that you can make and still have fun with. Basically, show what you can do with average-fella cash.

OR!! Put pen to paper and carve out the cheapest engine/trans combo you can. (like 355, 383 GM, or something you already have) and put it in a fox, and do whatever.

I've got tons of ideas. Sometimes, I wish I would have built a 355/400 for one of the fox's I've owned. People scoff at this, and have brand-crossing issues, but hey......it would rule behind the wheel!!!!

Ax

Comment

Alex hates mustangs LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt Rod

I think whatever you do should be a budget, lowest buck, junkyard crawl, stock block, drag/road/daily car that you can make and still have fun with. Basically, show what you can do with average-fella cash.

OR!! Put pen to paper and carve out the cheapest engine/trans combo you can. (like 355, 383 GM, or something you already have) and put it in a fox, and do whatever.

I've got tons of ideas. Sometimes, I wish I would have built a 355/400 for one of the fox's I've owned. People scoff at this, and have brand-crossing issues, but hey......it would rule behind the wheel!!!!

Ax

...like a 500 Cadillac??? ;D ;)

Comment

Coming from a "Ford Family", Ive had several fox stangs over the years. It started back in 82 when Ford had the "Boss is Back" ads and I bought a new 1982 Mustang GT. This is when the Ford vs Chevy thing was getting cranked up again and I waxed many new 3rd gen "cross fire" or as we called them "cross pig" Camaros. When I went looking the the fastest car for the moeny I had, another fox stang was in the driveway.

This was similiar to my old car. To me still the best looking fox.

current car...

Comment

Originally posted by Tommygun
                          Alex hates mustangs LOL
                          Yes, junk, every one of them built after 1970.......

I still want to cut the firewall out and move the motor back about a foot.

I can't wait for spring, I'm gonna kick the crap out of my white car.

Ax

Comment

I think they make great power for the money. I've had about 15 different mustangs, 3 of them being fox bodied. I guess my favorite was my '67 coupe but I have to say I had a lot of fun in my'83 gt ,(my first new car).
                            I wouldn't mind seeing a 460 with a turbo or supercharge build up , now that would be killer.
                            LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER !!!!!!

Comment

Being a Buick owner and somewhat locked into that kind of state of mind, when I think Fox-body I want, I think Lincoln MkVII LSC.

I don't really see any problem with them but in the age of cubic monster motors they seam a bit undergunned. The old "War to Settle the Score" between the Turbo Buick and the supercharged 5.0 mustang crowds really shows how these motors were lack of cubes stuffed with boost really brought hot rodding into the modern mail order era. To me 5.0's are most interesting when in the older cars as a modern upgrade, In a Mustang they form almost the "rice" of domestic cars. I've seen more stupid winged, body-kitted, and funky lighted mustangs than any other domestic. Anything is cool as long as its fast or engineering impressive. Fox Mustangs with 5.0's even with forced induction are a bit clique and overdone in my opinion.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                                The stock blocks usually split in half at about 500 hp. We don't really need to prove that again.
                                Must've missed that one.
                                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X