Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your Opinion on 5.0 Mustangs

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
    Being a Buick owner and somewhat locked into that kind of state of mind, when I think Fox-body I want, I think Lincoln MkVII LSC.
    I had a '90 LSC. It was awesome. I bought it to part it out ( I know, tragic) but it was pretty beat. I bought it in 2003 to part it out, drove it a few times, and liked it so much that it didn't see it's demise until end of 2006. It was a great car!! Air ride, ac worked, it was nice to drive around.

Ax

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
      Being a Buick owner and somewhat locked into that kind of state of mind, when I think Fox-body I want, I think Lincoln MkVII LSC.

I don't really see any problem with them but in the age of cubic monster motors they seam a bit undergunned. The old "War to Settle the Score" between the Turbo Buick and the supercharged 5.0 mustang crowds really shows how these motors were lack of cubes stuffed with boost really brought hot rodding into the modern mail order era. To me 5.0's are most interesting when in the older cars as a modern upgrade, In a Mustang they form almost the "rice" of domestic cars. I've seen more stupid winged, body-kitted, and funky lighted mustangs than any other domestic. Anything is cool as long as its fast or engineering impressive. Fox Mustangs with 5.0's even with forced induction are a bit clique and overdone in my opinion.

Same could be said for eveyones favorite baby, the Camaro.

In stock trim, they fit the same profile, as you've stated.

Comment

I am not a Camaro person, but the advantage of the camaro is the SBC and the BBC. Not from the engine being better, just more of them for longer. The camaro also has the Gen III/IV V8's. No one gets that excited about the mod motors because of the expense of modifications, small displacements, and thier dependence on boost.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

The mod, while exspensive, and short on displacement, is quite popular with some.

The 4.6l 4v Terminator can easily take 900hp, stock short block.
          Can a SBC or BBC do that? No.

I'm not beating my chest on Ford stuff, just making a note.
          In my eye, the Camaro only has one advantage, and it's now gone, which was cheap parts
          and everyone and their brother making parts for them.
          Playing field has been leveled.

Comment

Originally posted by min301

What makes 4.6L hyperutectic pistons any more durable than LS1 hyperutectic pistons? I think both engines tend to have piston problems before block issues when pushing stock short blocks to that power level -- especially the 4.6L with the very high top ring land placement.

Now if you are comparing a new 4.6L to an old school SBC or BBC that is just not fair -- I think a better comparison would be the 327 or 350 to the 351 or 302. On the BB side compare the 427/454 to the FE . . . IMO the Chevy wins in both cases -- although FEs are pretty cool ;)

Comment

How about BBC vs. BBF? Same thing, but distributor at the wrong end.

Comment

Closer than most would think.

Eric, I know it's impossible to do an A/B comparison with a Mod, and a SBC.
                Some always put the Camaro on a pedestal, and I put myself in a position to defend my preference.
                That being said, lets build it!

Comment

Does the 4.6's smaller bore make the piston less prone to breakage? It would have more psi on the piston at the same power, rpm, and displacement, but also a more rigid piston design.

Comment

I will say gm has made leaps and bounds in there ls series piston disintigration problems. They used to blow at around 630rwhp. Now they don't blow until somewhere in the 700's. I think that pretty substantial considering the bore size is bigger.

As far as a 5.0 goes. i wouldn't cover anything related to them unless it was road racing. or LSR. I've never seen a fast lsr 5.0 and road racing isn't covered often and has many options for hop up parts. Drag racing a 5.0 mustang and writing about it is more wore out than a vegas mustang ranch employee. How many times can you write a story about a H/C 5.0 with a c4 conversion, Flowmasters, BBK headers, and a 6" still in gel coat cowl hood running 12.5's...Aparently enough to keep MMFF and all the 100's of mustang magazines going.

Comment

I can't disagree. But there must be a reason that Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords, 5.0 Mustang, Modified Mustangs, and a few others are healthy magazines, while GM High Tech Performance might be the smallest car magazine owned by Source Interlink. If not, it's in the bottom three.

Not that I don't by far prefer the LSX to the mod motors, myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric68
                        Originally posted by min301

What makes 4.6L hyperutectic pistons any more durable than LS1 hyperutectic pistons? I think both engines tend to have piston problems before block issues when pushing stock short blocks to that power level -- especially the 4.6L with the very high top ring land placement.

Now if you are comparing a new 4.6L to an old school SBC or BBC that is just not fair -- I think a better comparison would be the 327 or 350 to the 351 or 302. On the BB side compare the 427/454 to the FE . . . IMO the Chevy wins in both cases -- although FEs are pretty cool ;)
                        The 03 - 04 Cobra's (Terminator) engines have a steel crank, Manley H-beam rods, and Mahle forged pistons right from the factory. I know of a guy who has one with a big turbo that has made over 1000 hp and has ran high eights on a stock long block, no cams, head porting, ETC. The only thing he changed was valve springs to eliminate valve float. What is sweet is Ford has a reman program that you can buy a replacement motor for 4500.00 + core. They dont care if the rods are hanging out when they pick it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                          If ever there was a car in your fleet to absolutely have a giggle fest tossing Nitro on a junkyard short block until there's a boom; that is the car. Just get another junkyard shortblock after the explosion. Or, see how stages of nitrous it will take.

I am interested in seeing just how much abuse the original short blocks can take. I know a guy who has a LX coupe that has the original 150k mile short block with new heads and intake and vortech blower that runs in the tens. He says he's pumping 15 pounds of boost through and has been for about five years now.
                          Originally posted by Freiburger
                          The stock blocks usually split in half at about 500 hp. We don't really need to prove that again.
                          Who says it has to be a Ford Block? What ever junkyard engine looks good at the time ;D
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                          X