SBC/LS hybrid from Billy Mitchell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBC/LS hybrid from Billy Mitchell

Just got the newest HR today. World Products is building a block that will bolt in place of a standard SBC block and use LS heads with a real distributor. Anybody know if they are making the bell in the standard pattern? Is pricing released?

Would you use this combination? Why or why not?
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Re: SBC/LS hybrid from Billy Mitchell

i would, it is very BAD ASS. got to be some serious coin though!!
    Charles

Comment

Yep. That one's been super secret for about two years. Very cool deal.

Comment

that would be different...good HP potential...should be affordable..
        "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

that is so weird, i just seen this add this morning in national dragster. i went to the web site for more info. but this is all i got.

i've been thinking about updating my camaro, and have been wanting a ls engine for years now.
          i can't wait to hear more about it.
          Originally posted by TC
          also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Why a secret?

I heard a couple of summers ago that someone had successfully adapted LS heads onto a standard-style block to run a dirt track class that requires factory casting #'s, but the sanctioning body quickly outlawed it in order to keep costs down for the racers. I was never able to verify the rumor, so it may be just that-- a rumor.

If they can sell brand new "high-performance" blocks for $1200, they should be able to sell this one for roughly the same, no? I'm sure marketing will get in the way and it will be sold for perceived value.
            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by dagenesta
              Just got the newest HR today. World Products is building a block that will bolt in place of a standard SBC block and use LS heads with a real distributor. Anybody know if they are making the bell in the standard pattern? Is pricing released?

Would you use this combination? Why or why not?
              Hell ya I would, you could slap a set of L92 heads on it and make crazy horsepower for cheap.

Comment

I doubt it will be cheap. Who wants to bet whether or not it will cost more than a complete LS motor installed and running?

Comment

I doubt it will be cheap. Who wants to bet whether or not it will cost more than a complete LS motor installed and running?
                  Probably not, I say it'll be more along the lines of all their other blocks. I mean think about it, it's basically just a small block chevy with a different bolt pattern for the heads.

Comment

I'm with you on this one Dag. Guess I don't get the performance advantage of the old style block with the new heads???? Other than ease of installation, but the mounts/ignition has already been scienced out right?
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

There's the psychological barrier. Plenty of people hesitate to put a motor in something that wasn't originally there, and the distributorless ignition system gives those same people the willies.

I think its cool, and would have its place in certain racing applications, but my feeling is that pricing will dictate whether or not its practical. If a motor like this can be built for less $$ than a 630 hp LS motor, then its a good deal for a street motor. If it costs more to build this than any other engine making the same hp, then its a waste.

Comment

It simplifies ignition if you don't want efi. It makes lots and lots of cranks available that you can't get cheap for a Gen III engine. It removes the need for torque-converter spacers and custom engine mounts. It gives you many more oil-pan options. It lets you run a mechanical fuel pump. I presume Gen III pistons will work.

BUT, I suspect you'll need custom intake and headers and front drive.

Comment

The deck height is the same as LS, so standard LS intakes fit. They are making a plate for the valley that supports the top bolt heads; it has a removable cover for access to the LS-style lifters without removing the heads. It has the LS firing order. The cam is standard diameter with LS lobes but a mechanical fuel pump and distributor provision, made by Comp. LS pistons are used on standard rods. It has Motown II style oiling, with provisions for dry-sump. There's an adapter plate for the heads to exit water and provide a standard accessory bolt pattern.

It seems very well thought out.

Comment

Usea an R08 drive setup ?
                            I really want an R08

Comment

You might be able to get one of those cheap when NASCAR tanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X