No announcement yet.

Lets talk about Christmas food......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lets talk about Christmas food......

Love the cheeseball. Looking forward to a Captain and eggnog

Comment

Christmas eve: Ukranian (Dad's side)

Meatless dishes including boiled wheat in honey, pyrogies, cabbage rolls, beans floating in garlic, etc....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Christmas day: European (Mom's side)

Ham & eggs with fried left-over pyrogies for breakfast. Lots of coffee and fluids to take the edge off the -um- celebrations from the previous night.

Then supper is turkey, ham, wild mushroom gravy, smashed potaoes with chopped onion greens, veggies and of course, more pyrogies.....

Boxing day:

Leftovers of course.

Dec. 28th: My birthday. ;D

Garlic grilled shrimp and swedish meatballs. Broccoli in cheese sauce, and ..................... pyrogies. ;D

Comment

Christmas eve is always a mexican fiesta with friends and neighbors over.....

Christmas day is prime rib n stuff with the family.....

Both are always at my house with the traditional visit from Santa on Christmas eve. One of the homicide detectives has been doing it for the past 15 years, and my daughter still thinks he's the real Santa and the rest are imposters. He gets his yearly bottle of Bushmill's for making the rounds.
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I've started "beer butt'n" my Turkeys and I like them much better than the Roasted ones that are usually to darned dry, IMHO. and if I have my way this year, it will be Green Beans, Whole White Taters done on stovetop in chicken broth (via Rachael Ray style) , cornbread dressing, giblet gravey, homemade rolls and pies, cakes and Mom's "Brown Sugar Fudge" (that I finally learned how to make).

As far as the traditional, Turkey and Dressing with the trimmings, - - ever wonder why we only get to eat that at Thanksgiving and Christmas??? - - - probably because it AIN'T THAT GREAT ???

"that was the question wasn't it?" ;D ;D ;D

Comment

You guys are killin' me! Since the bad pancreas and the heart attack, no alcohol (not a big deal to me), no sugary stuff - and no CHEEZE!!!! It sucks, but that's the way it is. We're going to my Mom's in Florida so I don't yet know the menu, but I may volunteer to make a pork roast - I'm semi-famous for cooking them. Or we might go out - not yet decided. Both my bros and all spouses will be there, so it'll be a mess of us in Mom's modular housing unit.

Dan

Comment

My favorite appetizer--blue cheese-stuffed queen olives. Damn I could eat a jar of them. Don't like olives otherwise.
              Another favorite is cream cheese spread in a shallow dish, topped with baby shrimp or shredded crab meat, covered with cocktail sauce. Simple, great on crackers.

My wife likes to cook and bake, so we've been in pumpkin pie since the beginning of October. Never get tired of it.

We'll probably have a spiral cut, honey-glazed ham for Christmas. The local paper did a huge taste-test, and the Sam's Club ham did better than Honey Baked Ham Company. We agree.

We also might do a turkey with all the trimmings too...I like cooking a turkey a couple times a year. We weren't able to get together with the wife's family this year, so we're talking about doing that.

-Brad

Comment

Gonna grill up some farm raised T bones! not a big fan of turkey,but my wife made a over the top brined turkey for thanksgiving so I would be open for that again. Cheese is good any day!

Comment

All the kids are married, and a few years ago they came in after eating turkey and the works at the in-laws, and couldn't eat any more of it......Mary asked what they would like instead and a new tradition was born. Homemade chicken enchiladas, monterreys, beans, and the works. I miss the turkey sandwiches over the rest of the holidays, tho.....
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Here's something we like to put out for people to snack on before eating or anytime.

Take a brick of room-temp Philly Cream Cheese and put it in a bowl then pour some

Raspberry and Roasted Chipolte Pepper Sauce over it - - - use any kind of cracker

or chip to dip with - - - it's "laripin" ;)

Comment

Working...
                    X