Insurance auction ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance auction ??

I am curious how the whole insurance auction thing works. I was in the local u-pic and a new shipment of totaled car's were sitting in the fenced off area awaiting prep for the yard (pull any thing that's worth something to the yard guys). I want to go to the source, wholesaler, insurance co, body shop, owners. Where to start? I have a friend of a friend with a dealers license, but that's going to really cost me in favors.

I will rant on a separate thread about the source of these questions.

Thanks
    Steve
    Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Re: Insurance auction ??

you got to have a dealers lic. to get into the salvage/dealers auctions depending what your looking you might be able to find a towing co. auction there usually open to the public

Comment

I am looking for ls 2wd truck 6.0/5.3 with the big trans but I want every thing. (wiring computer, manifolds, drive shaft, radiator, fuel pump, ect) The salvage yards around Baltimore are not going to give all that up with out serious dollars. I get that they make there money dividing things up, so I'm not belly aching about them. I was scrapping a lot of cars when I lived in Montana. The insurance co were not paying to have the cars shipped to Denver Salt Lake or Portland. They were small enough that they would sell to the locals. Not so out here.

I also like just buying crap I don't need for cars I don't own. The shrink and the financial guy are working on this.

Any insight as to where to find the auctions or how they operate would be great. D.C. / Balto area

Steve
      Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

try this

Buy used, repairable & salvage vehicles by auction 24/7 worldwide. IAA online auto auctions include cars, trucks, motorcycles & much more. Register free!

this is a local one i go to allot

and just to let you know a friend of mine bought a 2004 2500 2wd chevy 2 weeks ago to pull powertrain for a project
        paid 400.00 for it 175000 miles thing was beat up. was a service truck but still ran drove thought id rub it in

i wish was me that found it

Comment

Thanks Dave

After the holidays I will make a trip south and check it out. I will pm you when I go, It would be nice to a face to a name.

To quote aunt Joyce "teasing builds character"

Steve

Comment

My buddy?s family business has a body shop, towing business, and also does auto auctions for insurance companies.
            Basically you need to find an auction, they send the monthly auction notifications to all the local dealers, and salvage yards.
            If I would want a car, I would need to hook up with a bidder, and make a deal for some amount of money, maybe $100, to bid for me up to a certain dollar amount. I suspect the folks running the auction can easily hook you up with a qualified bidder. This is done all the time, several of my friends buy cars this way, then fix ?em for daily drivers.

Comment

Just thought of this too, call you insurance agent and find out the local auctions from him. ;)

Comment

Working...
              X