Non-Chevy Engine for '67 Camaro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Non-Chevy Engine for '67 Camaro?

It doesn't matter how much it costs Dave is writting the checks. Theres nothing better then spending other peoples money. Now if he's going to put us on a diet than 4.3 turbo w/inter-cooler and carb he or Chad already have it.And it would be a chevy o the lady up in flint shouldnt git to upset.

Comment

nope i think it was the one they ran on some of the big cessna twins, they didnt hold up well in service, no idea what one would run dave. we could go the easy route, and finda gtsio540 from a plane thats had a prop strike, that shold be cheap!

Comment

Dave, now that you decided to put a CHEVY ;D Engine ;D in the
        camaro ;D, you will definately make it into HEAVEN. ;D.... but it is alright if you would like to cut a hole in the hood and add a blower ;D

Comment

Drop the I6 back in with a 12-port head, turbo, EFI, mate it to a 6 speed. Or dump the original I6 and find a 302 Jimmy, 12-port head, turbo, EFI, mate it to a 6 speed. hmm...
          sigpic

Comment

I like the inline 6 idea -- either 250 or 4200.

If you do the 250, there is a guy that built a custom cross-flow head for one out of 2 aluminum SBC heads. I can dig up the info if you don't already know what I'm talking about. He cut a cylinder off each one of each head and welded them together, then ported for good flow. You could use a pair of old AFR 195's or similar good flowing 200cc 'ish heads and do the same. Then a turbo or procharger on it to make some real power. It would take some time and $$$'s into the bottom end to make it live though (like a billet crank and good rods to start).

I also have a spare 250 if you need any parts Dave. Just ask -- that suckers been sitting under the workbench in my garage for 7 years now.

PS. For the love of God -- Chevy power ONLY!!! (if you keep it at least GM power I won't complain too much)

Comment

Originally posted by SleeperT-Bird87
              Chevy II banger
              Or the more i think of it.....

2300 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Comment

Why put a lousy Chevy engine it. I can imagine some of the guys on this forum would turn into suicide bombers if you put a proper Ford engine in it.

So if this was saved because it was a "gross polluter" you can win brownie points with Big Arnie by putting an electric motor in it. Maybe a big one out of a trolley bus. Make sure the battery is fully charged! :o

Comment

the FE motor with dual carbs. make sure it says FORD on every surface, the valve covers, the plug wires, the air cleaner, EVERYTHING. then take it to the chevy shows and pop the hood, and get video of the reaction. its only worth doing if it royally pisses off someone!!

Comment

• Re: Non-Chevy Engine for '67 Camaro?

You guys are just bent on putting a Ford engine in a Chevy because there are so many Chevy engines in Fords . . . Can't tell you how many Mustangs I've seen with SBCs in them, and pretty much every T-bucket has an SBC too.

You'll never catch up ;D

Comment

While an FE would really be fun just by pissing people off, I really think there is something right about the straight six deal. I remember seeing a story in HRM, a few years ago, about a 39 chevy coupe that ran 10's with a draw through turbo 292. That would be very different, what with most people buying big inch crate motors these days. Could be a lot of fun.

Comment

That would be Leo Santucci. He literally wrote the book on building serious Chevy inline sixes.

I vote for the turbo'd 250. Planning to build a mildly hopped up 250 myself for my Chevelle 300. There's acres of room for turbos and plumbing next to that thing.
                          1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric68
                            You guys are just bent on putting a Ford engine in a Chevy because there are so many Chevy engines in Fords . . . Can't tell you how many Mustangs I've seen with SBCs in them, and pretty much every T-bucket has an SBC too.

You'll never catch up ;D

HA HA HA, you are so right, they are just pissed off, so many guys here in Michigan have Chevy powered Mustangs, I asked my old man if he would think of getting a mustang, he said only if it has a chevy engine.....LMAO......the guys who do go really fast in the mustangs here, are the few that know thier shit about Ford engines, all the others are slowwwwwwwwww assessss unless they put a chevy in them...... ;D
                            I can think of alot who think, I am gona get a mustang to blow away those camaro's.......and they still can't touch us.......the few mustangs that can are very good at making ford engines GO FAST.....gifted......

Comment

Here's an idea. Why not put one of the old original "W" series big blocks (409 perhaps) in the Camaro? Yes I know it's an obsolete design, but Dave did say he wanted to be different. Why this particular motor you ask?

1. It's a cool motor and is capable of lots of power.
                              2. I doubt very many people have done it.
                              3. It's not a SBC.

This should satisfy the "keep it Chevy" crowd and get a nod from the non-chevy people around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric68

You'll never catch up ;D

lol i resemble that remark

Comment

Working...
                                X