Best Oil & Filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Oil & Filter?

How cold is too cold (weather wise) to use Rotella in a regular car engine (SBC)
    is this stuff too thick for say low 30 degree temps? Also Car Quest filters (the better ones) are Wix as well. If any one is interested there is a good article in High Performance Pontiac this month about zinc levels in oil.

Comment

I use Car Quest Gold filters.

Manufactured by Wix.

Valvoline in the street stuff, Royal Purple in the race stuff.

Comment

ive had 15w40 in my 300 six ex dot f150 for a year now..it doesnt seem to care. coldest its been has been 8 degrees overnight and it sleeps outside. turns over slow i think, its thicker oil.. the mustang only gets driven in temps well above freezing. i spent alot of money (to me anyways) on my valvetrain, its all comp cams and such, and i hate to listen to it clatter for even a few seconds. it drives me absolutely insane. if i wanted to listen to it clatter, i wouldve built a chevy.

i did read about the zinc levels and how HD truck oils still have the old additives in em.. but i know the oil companies are all reformulating due to the EPA here soon, so that might end..im certainly not an oil expert or some kind of chemist, but thats what i hear from the oil salesmen anyways..next time i see the rep, ill ask about the zinc and such. they come around in the summer..

Comment

I use K&N filter & Mobil1. Gotta have synthetic oil on anything that doesn't burn it.
          While working at a speed shop in 2000, the boss dyno tested a fresh CASCAR engine (355ci, 9.5:1, 390 cfm Holley). Pulled 448hp on hot Pennzoil. Drained it and switched to cold Redline & pulled 463hp with no other changes. This may not be normal but it sure makes you think about it.
          Made me a believer.

Comment

I Changed my Oil at Maxton to Mobil 1 Synthetic and gained 3 MPH.

If I change my Oil again will I go Faster? Keith

Comment

Working...
            X