nothing left to show kids or grandkids
    thanks
    sam howard homewrecker
    [email protected]

Re: the last race lions drag race

Tell us some stories!

Comment

Meanwhile, right at the starting line, two photographers were passing a fifth of 100-proof Wild Turkey. But those at the start had nothing over those in the stands. The pungent odor of marijuana hung heavy over the track, overpowering even the nitro fumes belching from the staged Funny Cars.

Halfway through that first round of Funny Car action, Steve Evans paged a spectator over the P.A. system: "Roger

In the second round of Funny Car, Tom McEwen emerged victorious over Omar Carruthers. Jim Dunn trailered Sush Matsubara, Don Prudhomme put away Dave Condit and Billy Meyer knocked off the redlighting Bill Leavitt.

"Pack up your tent and go home," Billy Meyer screamed at the already-staged Omar Carruthers.
      In Funny car it was McEwen at 6.40 over Jim Dunn. And then something really weird happened. None of us had ever seen anything like it before. Billy Meyer's crew hadn't replaced a clutch in time to make the staging lane for the semis. Carruthers was brought in to face Prudhomme. They had both done their burnouts and were staged when Meyer, who finally gotten that clutch fixed, fired up his Funny and pulled up right behind Carruthers, all 1500 horses bellowing away. He and his crew were frantically trying to wave Carruthers over when the light turned green, but the track officials said "no go" to the kid from Waco, Texas, and Prudomme went on to beat Carruthers, setting up a rather fitting McEwen vs. Prudhomme Funny Car final for The Last Drag Race.

And here they had to halt the racing for the first time of the evening. At the halfway point down the track, some fans had jumped the fence along the return road and were tearing down the guardrail. Steve Evans implored them to wait just a few more minutes, till the finals were completed, and then tear down the railing. They stopped and hopped back over the fence. The Last Drag Race continued.

The signal came. The two cars fired up. They did their burnouts down Lions' sticky track for the last time. As they staged, the crowd closed in right behind the thundering Fuelers. For the last time the Lions Christmas tree lit amber, amber, green. The two rails screamed down the track head-to-head all the way, with Olson's 6.20 victorious.

Then the signs came down. First to go was the "Last Drag Race" banner at the starting line. Twenty guys fought for it, but two emerged from the fray and carried it off. Then came the 30-foot-long blue-on-yellow "Lions Drag Strip" sign. It had to be broken down into three pieces and carted off by three different pairs of fans. And then a mad struggle for the lane markers. Meanwhile, up in the timing tower, staffers were grabbing such relics of past glory as the "Authorized Personnel Only" sign on the timing booth door. Some fool was even trying to pry the Coca-Cola sign off the snack booth. And an attempt was made at prying up the starting line. It failed. That was one tough mother of a starting line.

that was a night i will never forget
      if any one has pics of that night please send them i have nothing to show my grand kids

thanks sam howard homewrecker
      [email protected]
      i

Comment

That's from the famous article...I was hoping for your first-hand stories.

Comment

Perhaps he was partaking the festivities? Heck, I know I would have been - it's why we have newspapers and google to tell us what we missed when we were physically at the event but not really there.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
          X