Why do you have the car you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you have the car you have?

I'm more curious about the car you're most proud... not so much the wife's toyota.....
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Re: Why do you have the car you have?

The '67 Malibu was my dad's. He bought it a couple years before I was born. I came home from the hospital in it, and rode around many miles with them in it. I had a habit of chewing on the dashpad; my little teeth marks are still there. I have it because I did not want to see it sold to someone I didn't know; in a weird way they would have been taking part of my childhood away.

The '85 Monte was an older brother's. I was 13 when he died in a buddy's 5.0 Mustang. His name was Steve, and he was 18. He had the Monte for just a little over a year, but I have a lot of memories with him in the car. He used to take me to car shows and movies and all kinds of stuff that makes a 12-13 year old kid feel cool. It was all stock when he had it, except for a Hypertech chip (what a joke those were) and a 700R-4 when the 200 took a dump. He had plans to put a 400 sbc in it; I still want to do that in tribute to him.

So the cars I have are sentimental attachments to days past. But every year I have them I make more memories and have more fun. I would not have picked either car had I been out looking for something to mess with; I likely would have bought an IROC-Z at the time I got the Monte (I was 14), and I would have preferred either a '70 or '65 Chevelle or a 66-67 Nova or a '70-73 Camaro. But regardless, I like what I have and they are fun to tinker with. They are keepers for life, bar a disaster of some sort.
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

It's my favorite car.

Lots of others more valuable, faster, or more exotic.

I like these the best.

Comment

I suppose because of the style of each of them. The tri-five pickups were elegant in their design, much more so than later models. The 40 Ford coupe looks like it's in motion even when standing still. Loved both of them as a kid and never outgrew it. Rescued both of them, and hopefully they will be around longer than I am. ;)
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

My dad bought a jeep a couple years back. It was so much fun that i had to get my own. Everyone needs to had a jeep they can beat on.

Since it's my first car, ill probably never sell it. Im in love with it.

Comment

I had a neighbor that had a 62 Impala when I was 8 or so. Then two friends had them when I was a teenager. Waxin the process of building a 52 Chev when I found mine at a swapmeet. I just fell in love with it and had to have it. About 5 years later I decided that I really wanted to build a streetrod. Sold the 62 and bought a 40 Ford. See http://www.freiburgersjunkyard.com/f...p?topic=5601.0
            12 years later the 62 came up for sale. My wife was all for buying it back as it is in our wedding photos.
            It will get a frame off after the 40 is done.
            62 Impala is in my opinion the best body style that GM ever produced.

Comment

I have the cars I have because I listen to my inner child. He tells me what to get.

My truck, I have because of the inner adult, which comes and goes.

Comment

Well, my first car was a 68 Lemans and when my 5 year old said " Daddy can we have this car" What could I say? No?

Comment

59 chevy truck, my dad bought from an acquaintance who needed $250 for rent, in 1977. It was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen, but after almost 32 years I'm getting used to it.

55....I had a shop in town 15-20 years ago, I did some barter work for a friend who painted cars. He had me swap engines in his two 55s, one was a primer gray belair hardtop, it sat in front of my shop for a month, I got to see it every day...I finally realized that was the car that I wanted. I didn't get his, but I found an affordable one a few years later.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I needed an extension of my penis. ;) : :D :D

Hey, if I went to far, let me know, I'll change it.

Comment

Well, it wasn't political...

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro

I needed an extension of my penis. ;) : :D :D

Hey, if I went to far, let me know, I'll change it.

I thought BMW's did that? People who drive muscle cars dont need that treatment.

Comment

they were both freee!!!

Comment

I always liked unique cars, so when I got the chance to buy an AMC Javelin I jumped at it. A few thousand dollars later, it looks like I might be able to drive it one day!
                            More info here, cool story.
                            http://www.freiburgersjunkyard.com/f...p?topic=3940.0
                            The coworker (original owner) I bought it from is retiring in 2009 and I hope to be able to drive the car to his retirement party, that would be cool!

Comment

First wife disliked my carjunkie disease.Present wife is an enabler ;D She agrees that cars should have 3 pedals not two.I had been a 340 Dart and Duster guy but bought this 68 RR four years ago. Im getting the itch for something different.Maybe another Dart or 65 Belvederes have caught my eye recently.Mine is the Bronze 68.NAS Backyard is the green 69.He stopped by on his cross country jaunt to do a carb change before heading back to California.

Comment

Working...
                              X