NHRA 2009, Not Looking so Good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHRA 2009, Not Looking so Good?

Did they shoot themselves in the foot with their "countdown" points program? Word on the street is several pro teams, the ones with budget troubles and maybe even more, are electing to only run a limited schedule in 2009. Some say that it's possible to not run at selected events early in the season and STILL have a viable chance of doing well in the countdown. If NHRA still had their normal 23-event gig, this could not be an issue. The fans will lose out at the events that the racers decide isn't worth it.

Not saying the economy situation wouldn't still be the main concern next year, but just a look at Dave Connolly 08 season and him not even showing up for the first five events, but came on pretty strong when it mattered for points, it can be done. I also think there will be cars sitting in the lanes on Q4 that elect to not run based on Q positions what's happening ahead of them, NHRA always frowns on that, but in 09 they should be happy any pro shows up.

Re: NHRA 2009, Not Looking so Good?

Dave Connolly did not show for the first 5 events of 2008 and still made the showdown (stupid idea) so if you are on a budget and are competitive just go to enough events to squeak in the top ten and the go win the championship.

Comment

As far as he economy is concerned - I would aorry about that AND about the higher-than-hell ticket prices.

Comment

I got a discount coupon in the mail for the Mile High Nationals since I went this year. WOW, they discounted it a whole dollar. That tells me that prices are going up regardless. I'm sure they are already looking at the fact spectator attendance will be down and they need to make the difference up somehow.
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

yeah the pricing IS rediculous...
          "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Working...
          X