Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid

The wife has been asking about switching back to a full size truck. Mind you, we've owned three Suburbans and two Yukon/Tahoes and really love(d) them but the Caddy SRX she drives daily is a little small for her shopping trips....

So... *Anyone* have some real world experience with these electric/gas full size trucks?

Ed

Re: Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid

I wouldn't bother.

The complexity alone will make these vehicles problem children,
    at least for the first few years.

Comment

The mileage rating is only "good" in town.

Once you hit 25mph, the engine fires up, and off you go....just another gasoline powered Tahoe.

And remember, p/s, p/b, and the air cond are all electical....not engine powered, and we already have some...ahem....problems with the ONE we've sold....and we sell a lot of 'Scaldes......

They don't have a transmission, but rather, a composite "motor" that drives the output shaft. The engine runs and drives the front motor, and it then passes power through the second motor to the output shaft.

GM programmed a bump into them to make people think they had "shifts". Its just the engine hitting a specific rpm based on tps, and for a few milliseconds, it cuts fuel...so you percieve a "shift".

This is where the problem lies on the one we've sold.....it doesn't "bump" quite right............sometimes it actually cuts off.....which is a reeeealy big bump........

Its software, but, with the costs of fuel dropping, and the barrel price dropping, when added to the fact that the tax incentive to buy one is going away.........it just doesn't (actually never did or will) pay to buy one, especially with the potential problems that exist in current form.

Comment

I can tell you that the non-hybrid versions are not too bad on gas...

My wife has a 2007 Yukon Denali with the 6.2 L92 motor....And a 6-speed Auto. We average 20 mpg on trips. Not too bad in my opinion....especially for a truck that can do 0-60 in under 8 seconds....

I like it.

Seth
        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Save yourself some money and get a regular tahoe

Comment

Thanks guys...

My initial reaction was "wait... this is the first model year blues just waiting"... but when the boss asks... I have to react. Maybe I'll tell her to get the regular Escalade or Denali instead... or tell her my Gen5 Camaro takes priority?

:D

Comment

we have the esacalde hybrid , 75 k , has blingy wheels and a big emblem
              sold a few yukons , have not seen anything yet with trouble
              chrysler is going to use the gm/allison setup on the durango too

Comment

Buy a non-hybrid one that's a year old instead of a new hybrid, and you'll save far more than you would ever save on gas with the hybrid

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Yep....I bought mine when it was 6 months old and had almost no miles.....Paid less than 50% of the sticker price.

Sweet deal.....

Seth
                  200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Working...
                  X