Read'em and weep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read'em and weep

You could buy ALL of these cars for $31,195! I'll take the BOSS 9 and the '69 GT500 please!

Just groovin' to my own tune.

Re: Read'em and weep

If only...LOL

Istill remember the classifieds in the back pages of HRM back in the 70's and 80's.

Comment

So, exactly WHEN is that from. With references to Jeg's in one of the ads, I thought pretty recent. Those prices have me thinking early to mid '70's though.
      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

I see this often, in the year that the ads ran, that was the going rate, and 31K was a TON of money. It's all relative to the era and how much you MADE.

Comment

Dude...ALL the cars could be had for 31K.

The Boss was 2200 bucks. Jegs has been around for a long ass time.

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

in 1971 dad bought 4 acres west of Tucson for $1500, sold it 5 years ago for 180k.

Go ahead, invent that time machine...

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

31K for ALL the cars was a lot of money in that year. That was the typical deal, they all were priced as compared to the new cars. What year is the ad? Compare it to what you made that year, and then tell me all about it.

Comment

Originally posted by cantvalve16
                So, exactly WHEN is that from. With references to Jeg's in one of the ads, I thought pretty recent. Those prices have me thinking early to mid '70's though.
                1974, Oh, and the Time Machine has already crossed my mind! ;D
                Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

So in 1974 how many had an extra 31K laying around to buy cars CASH?

That is the point.

Hershey candy bars were 5 cents at one time too, however, and this is where we need to pay attention, the average wage was 50 cents an hour. Think about it. The best deal we have right now is gasoline for under 2 bucks a gallon.

Comment

Dude......Are you kidding me? The point is that it would be cool to get those cars at those prices....

You're just pissed because none of them have a hemi....

Seth

BTW....I'll take the LS-6 Chevelle, 65' GTO, Nova, 58' corvette, and the challenger.
                    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Really is true,I can remember my Grandfather telling me the town where we live
                      now he could have bought an acre for 300 bucks.Now its about 100 grand.
                      When I asked him why didnt he buy more he told me "who had an extra 300
                      bucks". Its all relevant I guess.

Comment

If you're making a buck an hour, $2k is a years pay
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

My rough calculations say that things are about 10x what they were in 1970. Wages included, of course.
                          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

My senior year in HS I was making $5.25/hr at Feigley Buick - about 20 hrs/week. There were grown men raising a family on less than I was earning. I, of course, blew it all - but great memories. A new, loaded Electra 225 was about $4,000.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
                              Dude......Are you kidding me? The point is that it would be cool to get those cars at those prices....

You're just pissed because none of them have a hemi....

Seth

BTW....I'll take the LS-6 Chevelle, 65' GTO, Nova, 58' corvette, and the challenger.

Uh Seth.......break out the high bran muffins, we're gonna need 'em

Comment

Working...
                              X