Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM Performance Parts to offer new Camaro shells

RACERS REJOICE! GM PERFORMANCE PARTS TO OFFER NEW CAMARO BODIES IN WHITE

Grand Blanc, Mich. – Racers who want to slip into something more fashionable at the track next year will find the 2010 Camaro is just their size. GM Performance Parts will offer body in white packages of the new Camaro starting in the first quarter of 2009.

The basic package lists for $7,000 and includes an assembled body structure, including the front fenders, hood, front valance/grille header panel, roof, doors, rear quarters, trunk lid and rear valance. The structure also includes the complete floorpans and chassis rails.

Racer must fill out an online application to be eligible to purchase one. The form is available at www.gmperformanceparts.com. Bodies will be sold on a first-come, first-serve basis. There is no limit to the number an approved racing team can purchase.

"This is the easiest and most cost-effective way to build a race-ready new Camaro," said Dr. Jamie Meyer, of GM Performance Parts. "We envision racers using these bodies for all types of competition, from Pro Street and Competition drag racing to road racing."

The body in white includes only a painted body shell and no additional components or materials. The bodies do not have vehicle identification numbers, so they may only be used as racing vehicles that will never be licensed for street driving.

Racers will add powertrain, fuel system, suspension, interior components and glass (or sanctioning body-approved alternative), and safety equipment, then go racing.

"For the racers who would strip down the entire car and replace most of the components with racing-spec parts, the body in white saves time and money," said Dr. Meyer. "Drag racers, for example, won't have to worry about swapping out for a solid axle – they can just bolt one up and go."

The body in white's unadorned interior also saves time and money by allowing racing teams to eliminate the process of stripping a fully equipment production car in order to reduce weight and prep the chassis for a roll cage.

And when it comes to building up the body in white, GM Performance Parts offers crate engines, engine controllers, high-performance transmissions and hundreds of other parts to help complete the project – including dedicated drag racing engines and engine suited for circle track and road racing competition.

GM Performance Parts – Tested to the Limits, Backed by GM

GM Performance Parts crate engines undergo a 50-hour, full-throttle engine dynamometer validation; requiring that the engines perform from peak horsepower to peak torque. And if that's not enough, GMPP installs crate engines in its own engineering vehicles for ongoing testing and continuous improvement. It's that commitment to quality and durability that allows General Motors to back GM Performance Parts crate engines with a 24 month / 50,000 mile warranty (whichever occurs first). All GM Performance Parts components carry a 12 months / 12,000 miles warranty.

Enthusiasts who crave the latest technology, maximum horsepower and the expertise and confidence backed by GM, can purchase GMPP crate engines, blocks, heads, high performance transmissions and components, from GMPP Authorized Center dealers or any other GM dealership nationwide. For more information or to locate the closest GM dealership visit www.gmperformanceparts.com.

:o

Re: GM Performance Parts to offer new Camaro shells

Now we need a chemical bath process available, acid dipping!

Comment

That's awesome!

Comment

I've already checked it out and it's to high for LSR... not to wide... just to damn tall... gonna make a NICE car though...

K

Comment

If the application criteria isn't so stingant that the average joe can get one....it'd be real kool!

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
            I've already checked it out and it's to high for LSR... not to wide... just to damn tall... gonna make a NICE car though...

K
            How much too high?

Seth
            200 mph or bust.......

Comment

That's a nice option for racers.

I hope everything is still in order for the Camaro to hit full production. I won't have the money to plunk down on a new vehicle any time soon, but at least make a few hundred thousand of them so I can pull one out of the scrap yard in 20 years! :D

Comment

I'll second the question: Why too high for LSR, KT?

Here's one of my own queries: Where the hell's the roof?

Comment

I want to know
                  what is the price tag for gm performance parts ?
                  the whole division is up for sale ?
                  how much for onstar satellites ?

Comment

Was thinking about the same thing as you were Keith. The Car has a lot of Frontal Mass.

Comment

The 80 Camaro is fairly low... around 38-42-"... anything higher then that is to high.... the new one is Much taller.... how much... I don't have a clue but it hits me mid chest and there's so much on the front end that you can't lower it... it's already on the ground...

My understanding as far as buying one is concerned you need to be a above average room tempeture and be holding a check for 7000.... which is actually a fair price... the one they were showing on the crate had a top by the way.... and I'd have Zero fear of ordering that car as Drag car or for custom build sort of thing... it's going to Great...

K

Comment

The only problem with a custom build is GM doesn't include a VIN for the seven grand you fork over.

Comment

If its strictly a race car, whats the need for one? Who knows you might be able to get a kit car title for it lol

Comment

Looks like they are selling whats left on the assembly line before they close the doors?

Comment

Once again Gm losses on the pricing front. I got my 2004 Mustang body for 1400 bucks from CDC.

Comment

Working...
                              X