Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to the Cheap Thrills dart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to the Cheap Thrills dart?

Hey DF, what happened to the Cheap Thrills dart after the mag story? Did it ever run faster then what you ran in the mag story?or did it eventually grenade? I always thought it was a pretty cool car... kinda got me hooked on a bodys. ;D

Re: What happened to the Cheap Thrills dart?

is that the one with the infamous Hose clamp Trans mount?

K

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah.... what he said!
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Beagle , You're right on about the Dart and El Camino ...I also liked the Cheap Street Chevelle and the Crusher Camaro( before they became high dollar)

I actually keep those articles on my night stand ,along with other Freiburger issues just to remind me that this can be done on a budget 8)

I used to await the next issue (Car Craft,Hot Rod)with excitement,couldn't get enough...Both new issues arrived last week and they are on the nightstand too...but I haven't even opened them yet

Comment

Beagle, you hit the nail on the head!

The Cheap Thrills Dart was one of the most influential magazine project cars for me. It got me to do two things immediately:
          1) I noted the name of the author and made sure I read everything he wrote in the future. Before Cheap Thrills, I never paid attention to who wrote what.
          2) I bought a subscription to Hot Rod. Before Cheap Thrills, I would occasional buy Hot Rod on the newstand and was frequently disappointed with all the high dollar content. I hope DF's bosses noted my contribution to the subscription numbers and compensated him appropriately. :D

Comment

I liked the Cheap Thrills Dart for the same reasons I liked Cars Illustrated magazine. It was a bucks down approach at hotrodding where the use of one's brain was emphasized over using one's wallet. I am really surpised DF didn't work at CI at one time...

DF, did you ever work with Gromer, DeFeo or E-Booger?

Ron
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Thanks for the kind memories, guys.

I sold the Cheap Thrills Dart to a guy who worked at Sunset Tattoo in Hollywod for $800. He fixed the bad trans (that had blown up in Utah during the first Power Tour) and drove it for at least two or three years that I know of. I have no idea where it went from there. It was actually a very solid car by today's standards.

I've always wanted another Matador Red '68.

Comment

When I joined CJTV I chose my screen name in honor of my favorite project car articles by DF. I am not sure exactly what it was about the Cheap Thrills Dart project that I loved so much but I do remember reading each of those issues multiple times and waiting anxiously for the next issue to arrive. They inspired me to actually get my car to the local strip and I had more fun than I can put into words.

Deron

Comment

Working on the Disco Nova has been blast... it's another classic Magazine car... VERY nice because it's from California/Arizona ... and it looks Way better in a picture then in person... ( true about all cars )

This was another of David's "Cheap" projects... it's been fun... still out there on CarCraft.com as a project car...

K

Comment

Do I remember the parts car getting a chunk of the hood cut out for a patch piece?
                    1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
                    1997 Mustang GT
                    sigpic

Comment

Probably. I've done that several times.

Comment

What about the blue CC slant six Duster? Or was that by King Matt? I was totally inspired by the cosmetic "resto" on that car, I can't remember how many times I read that article over and over. As a high-schooler then, the spray-bomb cheapness allowed me to think, "Hey, I can afford to do this!"

While I think I was still a bit young to remember too much about the Dart (although I have faint images in my head of a pic of two cars sitting side-by-side in a shop, both of them just about stripped down to nothing), I do remember the Elco. Especially the 350 vs. 454 article. That was fun!

Comment

The Duster was Matt's. It looked pretty good! He sold it, not sure to who.

Comment

I'm home with Ma & Pa for the holidays, so I went into my old room dug up the issue with the blue Duster last night, which then roused another question for me:

What happened to the Buick Special wagon with the 455 swap. I remember you guys ended up running mid or low 14s with it, and were kinda bummed. Is it still kicking around... somewhere?

Comment

No, I sold the Buick, too. It went to someone in Michigan who wanted to turn it into a two-door.

Comment

Working...
                              X