What unusual tools are in your box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What unusual tools are in your box?

Sorry to do this while a similar thread is going around. But, the other thread gave me this idea. What specialty automotive tools do you have to make working on older American cars easier? We all have sockets, wrenches, ratchets, screwdrivers, and pliars. So, what special stuff ya got? I have a tool that pushes the lock plate under the steering wheel of late 60's-70's GM cars to use when centering the steering wheel, or access the turn signal switch that's pretty handy. Also, a set of sockets for taps. Tubing benders and valve spring compressors get used often too

STUGOTS

Re: What unusual tools are in your box?

Tensioner wrench, 3.4l "x" v-6 cam retention tools,
    Damn near every clutch alignment tool known...more

Comment

I made a tool from some tubing and treaded rod to push the bushing out of the upper control arm on my dart

Comment

I have a full set of MOPAR ball joint sockets. If anyone needs to borrow 'em, just pay shipping and make sure I get 'em back. They're kind of a big square with rounded corners - weird.

Dan

Comment

I find myself using this a lot when working under the hood, taking
          nuts and bolts off etc

A large radio speaker.........the magnet is great for helping
          keep all those together and not getting lost

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
            I have a full set of MOPAR ball joint sockets. If anyone needs to borrow 'em, just pay shipping and make sure I get 'em back. They're kind of a big square with rounded corners - weird.

Dan
            i have those only used them twice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

mitsubishi timing belt wrench , honda balancer holding tool , toyota cam locks
              quad four tools
              pretty good selection for an import H8TER
              I will take their money though

Comment

I have that too, but I've done it just as quick with a hand, and a pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle
                  Originally posted by groucho
                  Sorry to do this while a similar thread is going around. But, the other thread gave me this idea. What specialty automotive tools do you have to make working on older American cars easier? We all have sockets, wrenches, ratchets, screwdrivers, and pliars. So, what special stuff ya got? I have a tool that pushes the lock plate under the steering wheel of late 60's-70's GM cars to use when centering the steering wheel, or access the turn signal switch that's pretty handy. Also, a set of sockets for taps.

the steering column lock tool is mandatory unless you grow another arm. ;)

My cool but most unused tool: I have a zip tie tool that pulls zip ties to a specific torque, then cuts off the end. The adjuster has a dial indicator that shows what size zip tie it is adjusted to. Okay, maybe I use it more than my 100cc motorcyle flywheel puller...

oh yeah, I did buy a spirolox installer for 1.04 inch pin spirolox.

Where did you get the tap sockets?
                  Tap sockets from Snap-On. VERY VERY handy
                  STUGOTS

Comment

...or Matco, or MAC...

Comment

Originally posted by dartboy
                      I made a tool from some tubing and treaded rod to push the bushing out of the upper control arm on my dart
                      I just use a piece of exhaust-tubing and a socket on my vise for that sort of work.

They're kind of a big square with rounded corners - weird.

Dan

I found myself needing one of these sockets really bad some time back, so instead of trying to buy one somewhere and Hoping it's the right size, I just carefully measured the ball joint, drew up a tool for them in my computer and had this lasercut later and welded together.

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar
                        I just use a piece of exhaust-tubing and a socket on my vise for that sort of work.

Dan

I found myself needing one of these sockets really bad some time back, so instead of trying to buy one somewhere and Hoping it's the right size, I just carefully measured the ball joint, drew up a tool for them in my computer and had this lasercut later and welded together.

It must be rough being you... color me jealous
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Don't be jealous... there's a reason I didn't show the final pics of the welded-up endproduct... "Welding by Me"... :o :D :D
                          Also, if one should be jealous I guess it should be me, because for not being able to drive to some local ToolDepot and grab one of these sockets from the rack. ;)
                          www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

How did you respond to TWO quotes here?
                            Originally posted by BigBlockMopar

Dan

STUGOTS

Comment

When you hit reply or quote. Below the box you type your message in is the old messages. There are 'insert quote' tabs on the top right of each one of the old message. If you click on it, it will ad that message to yours.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X