Survivor........What's the deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survivor........What's the deal?

Ok, we've all agreed it's so cold out that roosters are rushing into KFC beggin to use the pressure cooker
    and....I'm off from traveling for two weeks and to much time on my hands.

Here's my question:

What's the deal on the terminology..........'Survivor'?
    Is this a copyrighted item?
    Can one use the word 'survivor' when describing their car?
    Is there an official 'survivor' class?

Input

Re: Survivor........What's the deal?

The Bloomington Gold honcho "trademarked" the term so it can't legally be used in reference.

I call BS personally, but who knows........yes, BG has a "Survivor" class.

To each their own I reckon.

Cold?

I saw a dog all jacked up on the side of the Pennyrile Parkway today...poor thing hiked his leg to relieve himself, and the stream froze on him...LMAO

Comment

Curious how this would be enforced

Comment

Bloomington Gold tried to enforce it targeting a certain magazine using it, sending them a note to "stop" using the word. Needless to say, it didn't work...
        Jim T
        Supercar Collectibles
        www.Supercar1.com

Comment

I was curious......especially since this word is used to
          describe many cars at auction.

Comment

That would be interesting to see Bloomington Gold go after Barrett-Jackson, I think I already know who the Winner would be!

Comment

Seems like at the local shows, a "survivor" is a car that is owned by someone that either can't afford to fix up a car that his grandmother left him, or was lucky enough to find a nice original car and wants to make money on it!

Comment

I had a rather lengthy correspondence with the pres of Bloomington Gold about this.

His take on it was that by putting a trade mark on the word "Survivor" as it applied to vintage cars, they were doing the hobby a favor by adding a certain degree of accountability to the word Survivor as used in a description of a vintage car. It would set standards and specific criteria to be met in order to be "awarded" Survivor status, and would differentiate between original, unmolested cars and clapped out cars parked behind a barn for 40 years. Much like Bloomington Gold or Silver certified, or "OE Certified" in the Mopar camp. A Mopar can only be OE Certified by a specific judging process and evaluation by a specific organization. It's all about the documentation. If you have a perfectly restored car, but don't have it "certified," it's not worth as much. Sucks, but that's the way it is for a lot of people. I can see it for that level of car--if you're going to spend the long dollar, you don't want to find out that every part on the car, while looking perfect to the casual or even above-average observer, is wrong. Documentation from an accepted authority helps make sure everyone is somewhat protected.

It happens in other industry environments-- Consumer Reports, UL-rated electric motors, ANSI, etc.

I understand it for restored cars, but I balk at "awarding" a car Survivor status. What I really had a problem with was the thought that people from Bloomington Gold were going to "judge" Mopars and Fords as to whether they were survivors or not. I also had a problem with the average guy pulling a car out of a barn or long hibernation, and not being able to describe the car as a Survivor when he sold it because he didn't pay the fees to have it certified (keeping it stored, trailering it to a show to have it judged, show entry, etc.) Or how about an old '50s hot rod that was parked in '62 and just had the dust blown off it? How are a bunch of Concours Resto dorks going to certify an old hot rod?

I think it's a perfect example of lawyering going too far. It was good to a point (Bloomington Gold, OE Certified), and then they got greedy.

-Brad

Comment

Originally posted by Brad54
                  I had a rather lengthy correspondence with the pres of Bloomington Gold about this.

His take on it was that by putting a trade mark on the word "Survivor" as it applied to vintage cars, they were doing the hobby a favor by adding a certain degree of accountability to the word Survivor as used in a description of a vintage car. It would set standards and specific criteria to be met in order to be "awarded" Survivor status, and would differentiate between original, unmolested cars and clapped out cars parked behind a barn for 40 years. Much like Bloomington Gold or Silver certified, or "OE Certified" in the Mopar camp. A Mopar can only be OE Certified by a specific judging process and evaluation by a specific organization. It's all about the documentation. If you have a perfectly restored car, but don't have it "certified," it's not worth as much. Sucks, but that's the way it is for a lot of people. I can see it for that level of car--if you're going to spend the long dollar, you don't want to find out that every part on the car, while looking perfect to the casual or even above-average observer, is wrong. Documentation from an accepted authority helps make sure everyone is somewhat protected.

It happens in other industry environments-- Consumer Reports, UL-rated electric motors, ANSI, etc.

I understand it for restored cars, but I balk at "awarding" a car Survivor status. What I really had a problem with was the thought that people from Bloomington Gold were going to "judge" Mopars and Fords as to whether they were survivors or not. I also had a problem with the average guy pulling a car out of a barn or long hibernation, and not being able to describe the car as a Survivor when he sold it because he didn't pay the fees to have it certified (keeping it stored, trailering it to a show to have it judged, show entry, etc.) Or how about an old '50s hot rod that was parked in '62 and just had the dust blown off it? How are a bunch of Concours Resto dorks going to certify an old hot rod?

I think it's a perfect example of lawyering going too far. It was good to a point (Bloomington Gold, OE Certified), and then they got greedy.

-Brad
                  Good post Brad

Also......what's next.......... rat rod?

Comment

How incredibly gay. : : :
                    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by dagenesta
                      How incredibly gay. : : :
                      So ya hihackin the thread?

Comment

Survivor is a term to describe a car that has survived the years in pretty good shape, and is un-restored for the most part. Many loopholes but if it has been completely repainted, I'd say no longer a survivor.

Comment

Working...
                        X