X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC: Top Gear Tesla didn't run out of juice

They have a loong list of such cases.

Re: BBC: Top Gear Tesla didn't run out of juice

I saw that episode. Here's the original clip for those who haven't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVZXT7LytjE

I was wondering what would become of that statement. According to the article (and others), it seems they BSed the scenario big time. The Top Gear episode claimed it died after 55 miles of track use. Tesla claims the car will do 200+ miles of "normal" driving on one charge, but if this is marketed as a sporty vehicle it begs the question:

Exactly how long does the Tesla last on one charge after being driven hard?

This is the same scenario of buying a vehicle with X EPA rated fuel economy and then driving it like you stole it. However, it would be interesting to know how much abuse this thing can take.

Tesla Motors: http://www.teslamotors.com/

Comment

Last time I was out at the track there was a guy with an electric dragster. The F'n thing ran 8's. :o

Comment

Tesla can't afford any negative publicity at this point as they are in shakey financial shape like everyone else. We know people that have been laid off from there.

Seems pretty underhanded of the Top Gear team to pull this junk though.

Has Tesla actually begun sending cars out the door to customers yet? Someone brought up the Camaro being overhyped, but Jesus, it seems like this thing has been on the hypemeter just as long.

My man EJ Potter had an electric car that ran 10's back in the 1970's as a strip exhibition piece.

Brian
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

while it sucks that people we "know" got laid off from there, two gripes I have about Tesla:

(1) the car has been over-marketed from day one. Performance (longevity) claims were BS on early units. It's been a few years since I've seen one in person, maybe there's been a world of improvement. The one on Top Gear sure did better than the one I witnessed...

(2) Tesla filed for, and got, a HUGE influx of cash from the government because they're technically a "Alternative Propulsion" car company. That sucks for the people actually working on valid, non-gimmick applications like improved hybrids, etc. Other people should have gotten that money.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Electric vehicles, the "truth". http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...umentid=720175

Comment

that was a good article malc
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

The original article in post 1 explains Tesla complaining about the silver car running out of power and the car having to be pushed, when apparently, it didn't run out of power.
                It never says anything about Tesla complaining about Top Gear explaing that the brakes in the silver car breaking, or the over-heating motor of the other car.
                I'll assume that these are faults and drawbacks that these cars actually do have.

Comment

Working...
                X