Iron heads, stock valve covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron heads, stock valve covers

I'm usually a form follows function kind of guy but I have noticed that I really prefer the monochromatic look of iron heads and stock painted valve covers.

Maybe its just a reaction to all the ?bling? that people try to push, weather we are talking Hollywood or Pep Boys it is no longer an aesthetic I like on much of anything. I've gotten so averse to it I want to find some steel wheels for my ?01 Silverado pickup and paint them black.

Maybe I just like the sleeper vibe that some cars give off.

I was looking at some pictures of a hotroded Cummins Diesel with a mechanical injection pump. Everthing was red except for intercooler and the injector lines which where black. Looked industrial. Awesome.

Re: Iron heads, stock valve covers

I like the stock look of an engine no matter how rodded it is. The chevelle has the requisite "race car" look under he hood though, however, the IH 7.3 in my truck is very industrial looking...everything is IH gray, hoses/clamps/wires.....just as it came from the factory.
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

red motor with contrasting black cloud of diesel smoke -yummy

Comment

Call me a weirdo but my favorite look for a BBC is the stocker orange painted valve covers.

Workman like.

Brian
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I like the old original chromies on the orange big blocks. That said....I have my steel BBC covers all painted black to match the rest of the engine....
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I agree. I bought a set of the old style chromies for my 454. I was planning on putting them on after I rebuild the motor.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Some engines look great with stock valve covers, and I agree that the BB chevy's are some of the best looking. Of course, I am partial to the one's on the 351 Cleveland. ;)
              Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I've taken lately to painting aluminum heads and intakes. Doing a 283 now that will be that way, with stock covers and front fill.

Comment

Great minds think alike. I've done several (most) with stock valve covers and all paint. The 406 in my malibu wagon had a stock single snorkel air cleaner with a bunch of holes drilled in the bottom.The BB in my Biscayne was stock valve covers, dual plane intake (with a Dominator), all satin black. I was talked out of spraying down with WD40 and emptying the vacuum cleaner bag on it.

Comment

the covers on my camaro are M/T's that are painted black. then I sanded the tops, to make it 2 tone. I used to polish aluminum as a side job, and those things were like mirrors, but I just didnt like how they looked. I even painted my Moroso air cleaner lid......
                    Charles

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                      Call me a weirdo but my favorite look for a BBC is the stocker orange painted valve covers.

Workman like.

Brian
                      I am planning on painting the Forum Engine Like that.....But it will have Tall Valve Covers.

Seth
                      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I remember getting blasted by my friends when I painted my Holley alum valve covers and intake manifold YEARS ago... Building a new motor for the Camaro and its getting painted stock Chevy orange. Stock steel valve covers. May not paint the intake this time though.

Simple and clean.

Chris 8)

Comment

chrome is pretty
                          made the moroso family insanely wealthy

Comment

Coming from the land of Rust, I seem to prefer bare metal... like you just wire-wheeled it or sand blasted it. It makes me warm & fuzzy inside knowing I just liberated something of its overcoat of cancer.

So I usually wire-wheel stuff (intakes, tins, etc), then clear coat the hell out of it. Not blingy, just CLEAN.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes

Workman like.

Brian
                              I must be even more bizzare, my favorite BBC valve covers are the black and aluminum ribbed ones with the displacement in the label box. Then the painted steel ones.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                              X