Convince me to buy this car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convince me to buy this car!

A neighbor of mine is selling a pristine 77 Monte Carlo for 3,500 dollars. This car is scary clean considering I live in the salt incrusted city of Detroit. The paint has been redone but I can find no overspray and no orange peel. The interior is mint. The owner wants $3500 for it. I have always wanted an older car to wrench on but I was hoping to find something from 73 or earlier due to the fact that work might make me move to Massachusetts and I have heard that they are pretty strict about the emissions stuff.

So here is my dilemma. It’s too heavy to be fast. It’s too ugly to be a cruiser and it’s too nice to be a daily driver.

I feel that not buying it will strip me of any pretensions I might have had about my being a car junkie

I wish it was a ’78 or a ’70

Re: Convince me to buy this car!

If you are a true car junkie you would buy it strip it and put it in a demo derby and not look back :o ;D ;)
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

77 Monte Carlo....

Hmmm.... put some Dayton 100-wire spokes on it, paint it Candy Tangerine with some big-ass metal flake and throw some hydraulics under it.

Ron
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Buy something you really want, the late eighties we
        re ugly.

Comment

I have a soft spot for these cars. I've had two 74's. (same car only w/round lights ). One was a loaded with everything swivel bucket car . But don't buy it be patient and get what you really wan

Comment

For 3500 bucks, you can always find something else you like. While it might not be as clean, with a lil work you can enjoy it more. I guesthe real question is what do you want to do with your car? cruise, race, both? just my thoughts

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by dpaqu
              A neighbor of mine is selling a pristine 77 Monte Carlo for 3,500 dollars. This car is scary clean considering I live in the salt incrusted city of Detroit. The paint has been redone but I can find no overspray and no orange peel. The interior is mint. The owner wants $3500 for it. I have always wanted an older car to wrench on but I was hoping to find something from 73 or earlier due to the fact that work might make me move to Massachusetts and I have heard that they are pretty strict about the emissions stuff.

So here is my dilemma. It’s too heavy to be fast. It’s too ugly to be a cruiser and it’s too nice to be a daily driver.

I feel that not buying it will strip me of any pretensions I might have had about my being a car junkie

I wish it was a ’78 or a ’70

You could always make a circle track car out of it.
              That is the chassis to have in local stock(ish) classes, gets even better in higher classes, where you can add screw jacks to the springs, adjustable sway bars, etc...

They have quite a bit of engine setback, and offset to the left. This makes them very happy on the turn left, roundy tracks.

Comment

If it was a round-headlight model with no Landau top I might be able to get enthusiastic. The 77 doesn't do it for me.

Comment

Had a blast roundy round racing with them....had maybe 8 or 9 parked behind the shop for spare body parts. IMHO, wait and find something that really blows your skirt up...!!!!!!

Rick

Comment

since I dont think you really want it that bad,,,, low ball on the price, like $????, cash,,,,,you never know?
                    Living the dream!

Comment

Don't buy a car you don't want.....even if you think it's a good deal.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Supergas565
                        Had a blast roundy round racing with them....had maybe 8 or 9 parked behind the shop for spare body parts. IMHO, wait and find something that really blows your skirt up...!!!!!!

Rick
                        Found an old photo from Lee Speedway in NH.....

Rick

Comment

Here's my neighbor and good friend's 73 we found last February after his 82 Cutlass was totalled by a drunk. We got it for $2000. It's got a L48 350, dual exhaust, rallys, PW, and my favorite swivel buckets with console. Best of all Bill doesn't have to smog it.

Buy that 77 and do up Nascar style. Remember the Hawaiian Tropic Monte?
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

“The 77 doesn't do it for me.”

Exactly my feeling on it. Yeah I don’t think I am going to pull the trigger. I guess that leaves me more time to cut the rust out of my POS ford truck.

“I guesthe real question is what do you want to do with your car? cruise, race, both? just my thoughts”

Both, mid-low 12’s street car.

I have been playing with the idea of doing something along the lines of the disco nova. I saw a Ventura that was nice but not worth the 6g’s the guy wanted. I would also like to play with that Mega-squirt system. Maybe do a Junkyard turbo system.

Yeah Rebeldryver I like that ’73 I would bite if this car were that year. As it is it looks like some kind of Ford Ranchero or something with those square headlights. If I were to buy a car this big though I would like it to be something like the black big-block ‘66 Biscayne (Caprice?) that was in Car Craft a few years ago.

BTW

Freiburger, I have been following your work since you started with CC. I was 14 then and that was the first magazine I ever subscribed to. Thanks for the inspiration.

Comment

The pre-"Disco duck" ('70-'73) Montes are the ones to have, esp. the '70-'72s)

Didn't all the "74-up" Montes come with a Mullet-wig,
                              hair spray, 12-volt blow-dryer, 72 combs, an open-neck
                              shirt minus its 2 top buttons, polyester bell-bottoms,
                              a wide white belt w/matching patent-leather platform
                              shoes, girley-man transgendering gold necklaces,
                              a 5-angle halogen driver's-side vanity mirror and a
                              "Saturday Night Fever" cassette as std. equipment? ;)

Like the guys are suggesting...take a pass.

When car shopping, assign a numerical "grade" or score
                              to whatever number of cars you're looking at. Definitely
                              try to find at least a half-dozen cars you think
                              you'd love to have, per your budget, in order to establish
                              the all-important comparative frames of reference.

Ask yourself: "Do I give this car a 97%, or only a 83%?"

Your scores can be weighted on variables like price, mkt. value,
                              condition, etcetera...but most importantly, does the car stoke your wick?

Comment

Working...
                              X