Dakar... ( sorta )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dakar... ( sorta )

So the Paris Dakar Rally isn't going to start in Paris or end at Dakar...

You can follow it here... www.Dakar.com

Oh and you should follow it cause it's Freaking Cool as hell

Keith

Re: Dakar... ( sorta )

Cool .

Comment

Looks like there are only 3 USA teams in the whole race , 2 of them looks to be from the Robby Gordon stable. I didn,t know they consider a Hummer a car instead of a truck . i guess a SUV is a car? Is this going to be on T.V. (Versus? does anybody have this channel?)

Rob
      LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER !!!!!!

Comment

Speed use to cover it before they sucked >
        terry

Comment

Originally posted by terry russell
          Speed use to cover it before they sucked >
          terry
          Its been a long time since they havent sucked...

Comment

gotta check the bike guys too...

Now that it's in South America I'm going to go on my own next year... Just to be there and be part of it...

K

Comment

Man that will be one cool trip.
              terry

Comment

WOW...

I'm stunned at the lack of response...

Have any of you ever followed the Dakar rally? I follow it every year.. kind of like a winter staple for me... since I dont' like cold weather ... Dakar is one of the things I can look forward to in Winter...

Seriously this is the MOST brutal form of racing in the world.. it's the one with the Cars, bikes, and big Trucks...

Okay... I'm going to keep you guys up to date a bit as it progress's... it's a 2 week race this year... starts the 3rd of January... goes through Argentina and Chile... looks like they have Sand dunes and everything... so it should be wickedly cool...

This is where Robby Gordon has the chance to actually beat the worthless French on equal terms... ( though they work hard at keeping him back ) But Nobody has ever seen this terrain... so they are all equal... Think WORLD CLASS misery though...

Trust me... you've never seen a better form of racing....

Comment

I love Dakar and was really pissed to see what happened to the independent teams earlier this year.

To win one of these really puts you at the top of the heap, IMO.
                  "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

I've always been fascinated by the (Paris) Dakar rally but never really followed it. I did get the chance to watch the series Race to Dakar which was pretty cool. It's a documentary about a team of 3 guys taking on the 2006 Dakar on BMW bikes. IMO, it's worth checking out if you dig this stuff:

I think it takes a special kind of hardcore racer and team (read: crazy mofos!) to compete in this thing. I'll stick to spectating, because as Keith put it, the Dakar is brutal! :o

I think I'll make an effort to follow the '09 race.

Comment

My kids have an old Nintendo 64 game like that called "Cruisin The World" .
                      That would be brutal , I usually did either pick the 57 chevy or they had
                      a big truck to use . It would take a lot of nerve to be racing against someone
                      in a strange place , not knowing if they are going to take you out on purpose .
                      South Africa - man your talking a whole other government system .
                      I like your idea of just watching !

Comment

Originally posted by RCR
                        Looks like there are only 3 USA teams in the whole race , 2 of them looks to be from the Robby Gordon stable. I didn,t know they consider a Hummer a car instead of a truck . i guess a SUV is a car? Is this going to be on T.V. (Versus? does anybody have this channel?)

Rob
                        Here's what the Dakar folks consider a truck:

And yes, the TV coverage will be on Versus. Look for a 30 minute highlight show every day, starting January 4th.

ETA a link to my favorite site for finding racing on TV. http://www.racefantv.com/USTV.htm
                        "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

I have followed Paris-Dakar for the last 10 -15 years.Eurosport have been sending programs every day,when it runs.But too little interesting cars and bikes for me.I have to have something cool to follow,or i just dont care.So Bobby Gordon have been my hero.

He had the best times on several parts of the rally some years ago,and i hoped for a win for him...but i think he had some mechanical failure that took him out.I cant remember.

But its a tough race for sure.Lots of tough men and women there.

Comment

i've watched bits a pices before, looks cool. something about a guy hiding next to a sand dune waiting for me with a machine gun adds to the thrill....as if the natrual hazzards wernt enough.
                            Originally posted by TC
                            also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Maybe taking it to South America will help prevent the terrorism aspect... seems they issues, just not as bad...

K

Comment

Working...
                              X