A car has been lost in florida, 69 mustang lost along I-95

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A car has been lost in florida, 69 mustang lost along I-95

So what does the law say about carrying a load on a trailer?
    Isn't it mandatory to have it secured by at least 2 or 3 ratchetstraps?

Overhere, if you drive around with an unsecure load and the cops spot you doing that, you get pulled over and will receive a fine. You must then get proper straps first before your trailor may go any further.
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I was towing my '46 Chevy 3/4 ton P/U truck from SC to FL when the rear right tire came off and passed me on a bridge. I got out and checked it out and had 3 of the 6 lugs still in place and with the spare, and three lug nuts from one of the front tires, I got back on the road. Never did find that wheel and tire ... ;D

Comment

I suspect anyone that's hauled enough treasures has several stories about losing/almost losing loads. I was towing an S-10 to a buyer in the middle of the night, and the trailer started towing strangely... it was pitch black so the mirrors were worthless... I pulled over and found the car had rolled back about 3 feet.. another 6 inches it would have come off..... which is the reason I used that use two, independent methods to hold a car front and back on the trailer.... now, I also tighten both chains.
        As for wheel lugs.... I've had terrible luck with people nice enough to return a tire and wheel to my car.... but not nice enough to tighten the lug nuts. I was driving down the freeway, turned off on the exit and 3 wheels made the turn with me.... the other wheel ended up a mile down the road... it was all fine, I knew who borrowed the wheel so I borrowed enough lug nuts to get the my car back on the road.... strangely the landcruiser was no worse for wear... although I understand that the wheel fell off the guy's truck... he really should have put lug nuts on it. 8)

Comment

Maybe Chip Foose has it.

Comment

My bro. in law wanted me togo with him to pick up some lumber, we go about 30 miles at 70. We get off the interstate and go about 2 miles at abou 30 all of a sudden it' swinging back an forth . No big deal just slow down slowly and stay ahead of the trailer(big flatbed) . Then the carin front of us stops, he crams on the brake gets hi in the side of the bed, trailer swings around some more side swipes a small car. We all get out and look at the trailer The ball is still in the trailer but has slide out of the recever. When he put the pin in he didn't slide the interchangeable sq. part all the way in. It was only in 3" ! Fun part was the other guy said he was in trouble (probably illegal alien ) jumped in his car and drove off . It wasn't like we could or wanted to make him stay.

Comment

A driver of a Chevy dually wouldn't always notice a six banger Mustang missing on those bumpy highways. Even with ratchet straps they do come loose and that's all it takes for the car to escape.

I'm pretty attentative and always check the tie downs and mirrors as i tow and have had a car come off and get the headers caught on the trailer and the rear wheels skidding on the road. No headers would have meant i would have lost it.

Comment

Has this car been found yet?

Comment

been found read last page.

I was towing my new festiva back through some back roads in nc and we had lost the rear strap not knowing it (Broke) and could have lost the car, but i watch my rear view often when towing to make sure everything is dandyl

Comment

So one morning after working 3rd shift,MacGuyver asks me if I'll help him to go pick up an old truck and scrap it.We take his ford van WAY out onto this back lot of one of his buddy's fields.There's this ,I think late 40's Dodge Pick up,mounted on a Ramcharger frame.Like they said of the Edsel "a great concept poorly executed" We decided to stop at my shop on the way to the junkyard.I got out of the van and asked "where's the box from the truck?".You shoulda seen his face! He back tracked paying that it wasn't in the middle of the road on top of somebody.It turns out it fell off about 50 feet feet from where we started!

Comment

Afriend of mine lost a car and trailer once. It was in the late '60s and he was towing a 65 Shelby GT350 they raced at Watkins Glen in NY. On the way to the track the car and trailer came loose and went off the side of the road and smashed into the front of someones house. He said it pushed the porch away from the house and kinda parked itself in place of the porch. The car was basically unhurt and was able to race that day. They had to pay for the porch.

Comment

This story dosent add up. The only way it works is if it was one of those hydraulic shock trailers where 3/4 of it splits and drops down to drive onto.Not even a little bit. So this car just magically fell off a trailer? They didnt notice the noise and the lack of 3000 lbs? The Mustang is OK? And it fell off in the middle of an interstate at 70mph? Did they not use chains and binds? WTF???

Comment

maybe its better the car stays lost, rather then find out it smashed into something expensive..

Comment

I've never lost a car except in a Wal-Mart parking lot. but, I did have a trailer that wanted to wiggle at 45 MPH all the way from Arkansas to Florida. So I kept it at 55 MPH the whole way.

Comment

Working...
                            X