X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fastest street car shoot out '92

i got this off the bullet
    man how times have changed
    the car i have now would qualify in the top half, and its the slowest of all my buddies..
    1992 Hot Rod Magazine's Fastest Street Car Shootout. 45 mins of video crammed into 10mins of You Tube. If you get a chance to see the whole thing, I highly r...
    Dustin, in Cincinnati

Re: fastest street car shoot out '92

man does time fly...."and it spread like wildfire..."it was amazing to feel the layed back enthusiasm to this new movement...

the andersens' malibu is in new brunswick canada as is steve carriers camaro, after it went to Markow race cars and dropped a second of its ET (7.52) in 95..

steve johnson told me that the firebird he was racing was bought,sight unseen,just for the event.had a Shaffiroff powered 615..said it was a death trap!cool stories..

as we all know,stan shaw and steve grebek have left this earth-RIP both...
    danny scotts car ,was in a garage fire..then totally rebuilt to its former glory several yrs later...i saw it at COBO in 06.

many of the mnames then are still active today in one way or another.

great vid!!

al
    "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

79 nova???

Comment

yeah i caught that too... :i thought saboury's was the lightest..(2540,IIRC)...

al

Comment

Yep, those were the days. That's the event that really started it all. The Top Gun Shootout in Atlanta came before this, and when Hot Rod staffer Joe Pettit came back from there, the staff was sitting around at lunch one day. Joe had the idea for a story called the Top 10 Fastest Street Cars in America. I said, "you know, there's really only one way to find out..." then Jeff Smith called Richard Small at Flowmaster for support, and called the NMCA to see if they would let us hold the race during one of their events.

At the time, the NMCA was very much into running stock muscle. The wildest class was Nostalgia Super Stock. We came in and turned the place upside down!

Comment

then it became pro mod

Comment

Don't get me started on that.

Totally agree.

Comment

Didn't someone hang a painfully long title on that race in the mags BEFORE calling it the "top Ten Shootout"?

This is what I like about the PGD's(R.I.P.?) and Drag Week....make it as wild as you can(within the rules), but your junk better be able to handle the stress of on-the-road driving.

Comment

It was always the Hot Rod Fastest Street Car Shooutout. The Top 10 was named there. It later became a series, changed hads a couple times, and became a mess. Pro Media hijacked the name (see fasteststreetcar.com), but no one cared because they soon took over what was left of the NMCA and have run it better than anyone.

Comment

totally agree with you DF...IMHO...i think the best yrs were 93-96..8s on 10.5s (pappas and the chicago gang)7s on bigtires,lencos and nitrous...

can't forget the chicago wiseguys...now the outlaw superstock association...

al

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                      It was always the Hot Rod Fastest Street Car Shooutout. The Top 10 was named there. It later became a series, changed hands a couple times, and became a mess. Pro Media hijacked the name (see fasteststreetcar.com), but no one cared because they soon took over what was left of the NMCA and have run it better than anyone.
                      fair enough....just seems like I recall a 90-'s era Hot rod with an article on that series with someting like "World's Quickest Street CarDrag racing series" or something along those lines....some kind of awkward abbreviation.

Perhaps I'm thinking of something else......end result, good stuff.

Comment

all the open trailers being pulled by pickup trucks is the best part
                        no stackers or motor coaches to be found
                        and who picked the jacket color?
                        Dustin, in Cincinnati

Comment

My wife and I went to the Memphis event from '94 to '97,and we enjoyed them. For some reason,I don't think we went in '96 though. We also went to Super Chevy events in Memphis and Dallas in those years too! Then we got married,and we had to knock off some of the traveling we did. I kinda got into the dirt racing thing exclusively too.

As some have said,the Street Car Shootout had gotten overblown before we quit going also.

Comment

Originally posted by mcat

and who picked the jacket color?
                            Rick Dyer.

Im think at one point, when there was ownership issues with the name, there was a Worlds Fastest Street Cars Drag Racing Series. The issues were ownership of "Fastest Street Car" and "Top 10 Fastest Street Cars" It was all a mess for a while when there were a bunch of sanctioning bodies trying to capitalize on it. There still are, but no one seems to be fighting about it as much any more.

Comment

Working...
                            X