What ever happened to Don Renfrow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ever happened to Don Renfrow?

I'm sure most of you have seen the video of Don Renfrow in his 55 Chevy. If not, search Youtube for Don Renfrow. I understand the crash was in the early 90's, anyone know where he is now? How did the crash happen? Did the tech inspector get fired? Is Don still racing?

Re: What ever happened to Don Renfrow?

Amazing stuff... mental note - get that driveshaft loop in my car!
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

For me it looks like there is too littleair in the tires.Or that the rear axle are loose.

Comment

boy, that'll make ya double think every fastener you installed in your car!! and who tightened it and is it gonna be ok if everything goes bad all at once!!
        67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
        05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

The way that car came apart I'd have thought he used sheet metal screws. Especially on the seat and belts.

Comment

I realize this is an old thread, but was looking into Don Renfrow's 1988 crash earlier today after a friend sent me an E-mail about a more recent crash of a '55 Chevy.......

Driver was wearing a seat belt, it was only a lap belt and you can actually see it fly out of the car after it was ripped from the floor. So glad to see the...

Looks as if either there was a slick spot at that part of the strip and both cars got 'loose'...... Or the driver of the '55 Chevy may have lost control after swerving to avoid the other car, which drifted towards his lane. With those skinny tires up front and wide slicks out back, the '55 would be hard to handle once it started getting sideways. What do you guys think?

Here is a similar crash of a '57 Chevy in 2011 with skinny front tires after the rear tires broke 'loose' at the strip......

June 25, 2011 The Black Ice 57 Chevy crash. On the Supercharged Warriors show there. Vinnie DiRose the driver was ok!

I found a 2-part video of Don Renfrow's 1988 crash and the aftermath. At the end of Part 2, Renfrow talks about the crash in an interview 25 years later. He didn't say exactly what caused the car to take that sharp right turn, but I have always thought that something fatigued and broke in the rear suspension.....

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

My Dad was killed in a rollover ('39 Chevy) in early 1951 on Old Highway 90 near Dayton, Texas and I was thrown clear of my '63 Chevy II, which I rolled out on I-10 about 56 miles West of Deming, New Mexico in 1977...... So I have a keen interest in what happened.

But enough of crashes. How about a fun road trip in a MOPAR hemi powered '55 Chevy......

On this episode of Roadkill, it's 2,600 miles, 530 cubic inches, 700 horsepower, six speeds, 17 mpg, and two fun visits with some friends from TV. Last time,...

Best regards to all,

Harry
            Last edited by enigma57; September 23, 2014, 07:34 PM.

Comment

what it's like to drag race a 55 and NOT crash. From my perspective.

Running 11.53 at 119 in Great Bend KS on Drag Week. 9/13/2011Car is a blown 454 powered 55 chevy, we drove it to Drag Week from Arizona.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Nice run!

Comment

Working...
                X