Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What, with an engine, moves YOU?

Not literally, emotionally. ;)
    I was just thinking about what my number one all-time favorite vehicle is.
    I am basically a speed junkie and a fan of many types of cars and motorcycles (Even airplanes and tractors to some degree). I then realized that most on this forum may have not heard about this, and also thought some would find information on this vehicle interesting.

I often find it interesting to learn about vehicle types I don't know much about. Let's try and use this thread to share some technical innovation or a good story that may not be common knowledge in this crowd. There is a broad array of interests here from heavy equipment to airplanes, to motorcycles. Hell, we even have guys here from other counties, there has got to be some very interesting stuff out there.

I'll start.

In the early 90's a fella in New Zealand started building his own motorcycle using leading edge technology and his own unique design. His name was John Britten.
    He basically built what I believe to be the most innovative and coolest machine to ever roll on round wheels.
    Sadly John Britten died at a young age and never got the opportunity to grow the company and expand his ideas.
    I bought the movie produced by him showing the build, hand wound carbon fiber, sand-cast engine castings, all at his home, truly amazing.
    A high tech version of the 'Worlds fastest Indian'.

Read more here.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Britten
    http://www.fasterandfaster.net/2008/...ycle-ever.html

I'm in the mood to learn about something new, let's hear it.

Re: What, with an engine, moves YOU?

Brittens were BITCHIN!!! I saw both of them race at Laguna Seca, battle of the twins race mid 90s I think it was-what a cool bike!! too bad cancer got him-he was genius in motion
    67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
    05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

They have a Britton at Barber... it's one of my favorite bikes...

What is special is how "HE" built it... the way he simply knew how to do things like this... and could get past the mental blocks most of us would have... He just decided he was going to build it and there it is...

As I recall he did have an education in engineering... but still... that's an incredible mind...

Like Edison or Ford, So who's out there Now doing this kind of stuff?

Keith

Comment

Well speakin of bikes and the thread topic..........while not an engine, but
        I remember when we were racin moto cross back in the early '70's, a bike came out
        with an automatic transmission.
        One showed up at the track one weekend and I was like blowed
        away by it.
        Anyone remember what the make was?
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Mike, I had to think long and hard on this one and frankly, I struggled with a choice. There are so many neat things that I like for different reasons, but in the spirit of the question I was looking for one that just did something to me the first time I saw or heard of it.

Mine is a motorcycle as well, kind of.

Seeing a picture of this thing just instantly made me obsessed with finding out what it was, who was riding it, and how it came to be. I've had several conversations with EJ Potter and he's my #1 hot rodding hero, much in the same way you admire Mr. Britton, I think I know the feeling because I share that same level of admiration with respect to EJ.

It's kind of humorous though, the differences in the two machines and how it highlights the basic mentality of a guy who came from road racing bikes (you) and my primary background of neanderthal-man drag racing.

It's all good though, I'm sure you may be leering at the photo of EJ with the same level of curiousity that I am of the Britton bike.

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Mike you mentioned Burt Munro's Fastest Indian
            Reading about him makes one marvel at his mechanical skills and
            what he accomplished at Bonneville.
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I have to say I HATE MOD MOTORS, but most recently Steve Benyo's (SP?) Mod motored Cobra crossing the line at 228mph and pulling harder than any car I have ever seen run through the last 1/4 mile at Maxton moved me. To this day it blows my mind how hard that car was pulling. I think if they put a decent trani in it, it will break the track record this year. It reminded me of a damn FUEL CAR at the 1000' to the end of the 1/4
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa_vFjhPib0 heres a bonneville incar

Comment

didn't britten give himself lung cancer by cooking his carbon fiber in the kitchen stove ?

Comment

Not to be a simpleton, but my answer is "anything with a motor". Anything from a huge ship Diesel (those suckers are literally bigger than my house) to those beautiful running models of race motors (SBC's , Hemis, etc) that are like 12" long - they're all cool. Ferraris drive me wild - those engines look like jewels. My buddy Lennie builds hand-machined Harley motors that are amazing - and they don't leak when he gets done with 'em. Keith's old Ducati was another incredible piece. The Packard Diesel aircraft engine at Pioneer Village in Minden NE is another one to see. Ever see a Deusenberg up close - astonishing. So I can't pick just one.

Dan

Comment

OK Dan, then post information or a picture of one (or all :D) of the stuff you mentioned.

So at lunch I am gonna read about EJ Potter and Steve Benyo's Mod motored Cobra While I am eating lunch. ;)
                    Looking forward to it.

Dan, you also mentioned Ducatis, that's what I raced a few years back. Very cool machines, great design and occasional sketchy execution . They are also very, very durable but that's another story. :
                    Maybe I'll post information on Desmodromic valve actuation in the next day or so. For those that don't know here's a teaser; it is valve actuation with NO valve springs.

Comment

1987 Ferrari F40
                      My All Time Absolute Favorite Car.

Ferrari's first to 200mph.,the last car Enzo had serious involvment with.
                      No luxeries whatsoever, I mean none.
                      No: TCS,ABS,AC,PS,PW,Radio,Interior door handles,Floor mats (carpet for that matter)

Tube frame chasis (chromoly), CF body (without enough clear to smooth the fibers, Less wieght)
                      Twin turbo V8, Rear engine, Gated 5 spd (with a clutch pedal, no slappers).
                      A true road worthy race car.

Ferrari 40 history video

I've had models and 1/18 th diecast since i was a kid. Two sit on top of my TV.
                      Even have a framed poster on my bedroom wall. (totally doesn't match the "decor" she say's) who cares.
                      Chris

Comment

Brian, Thanks for the EJ potter info did some reading durring my popcorn-desk-lunch.
                        Now I know why Brian likes this dude, It's the Allison V12 Powered Home-made tractor :o

The guy is still around, and has a book!
                        http://www.virtualindian.org/7columncindy.htm

Comment

Originally posted by CM325
                          1987 Ferrari F40
                          My All Time Absolute Favorite Car.

Ferrari's first to 200mph.,the last car Enzo had serious involvment with.
                          No luxeries whatsoever, I mean none.
                          No: TCS,ABS,AC,PS,PW,Radio,Interior door handles,Floor mats (carpet for that matter)

Tube frame chasis (chromoly), CF body (without enough clear to smooth the fibers, Less wieght)
                          Twin turbo V8, Rear engine, Gated 5 spd (with a clutch pedal, no slappers).
                          A true road worthy race car.

Ferrari 40 history video

I've had models and 1/18 th diecast since i was a kid. Two sit on top of my TV.
                          Even have a framed poster on my bedroom wall. (totally doesn't match the "decor" she say's) who cares.
                          Chris

you like F40s? boy do Chad and I have stories for you!!
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
                            Well speakin of bikes and the thread topic..........while not an engine, but
                            I remember when we were racin moto cross back in the early '70's, a bike came out
                            with an automatic transmission.
                            One showed up at the track one weekend and I was like blowed
                            away by it.
                            Anyone remember what the make was?
                            Husqvarna.
                            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick
                              Brian, Thanks for the EJ potter info did some reading durring my popcorn-desk-lunch.
                              Now I know why Brian likes this dude, It's the Allison V12 Powered Home-made tractor :o

The guy is still around, and has a book!
                              http://www.virtualindian.org/7columncindy.htm
                              When you get to know him, he'll tell you stories about his W-24 cylinder Allison powered tractor OR the 1957 Plymouth he put a 12 Cylinder Allison or the Dart station wagon or the.... :D

Hero. Period.

Brian
                              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                              X