Digital cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital cameras

A few of my friends have this camera and im looking to get it. It's small(ish), it's 7 mp, and it's affordable. Anyone have any reasons i shouldn't buy it?

Shop Sony Cyber-shot 7.2MP Digital Camera Silver at Best Buy. Find low everyday prices and buy online for delivery or in-store pick-up. Price Match Guarantee.

Re: Digital cameras

I have a similar sized Kodak. My main two complaints are as follows. Maybe specific to the Kodak with it's two AAA batteries is that it chews through batteries and the flash is all but useless. I'm use to using an old Maxxom 7000 with telephoto lenses and a real flash. Otherwise it's a decent camera as that will be.

I'm giving serious thought to a Nikon D40 with a couple of lenses
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I hate to toss Kodak under the bus (my uncle used to work for 'em) but here I just can't hold back:

I have a Kodak C633 which takes pretty decent pics.... when it works. It eats AA batts for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (even lithiums); even with new batts, sometimes it won't turn on. Never dropped either.

The package it came with had the wrong pc download cable included... what a PITA.
      Sounds weird saying it, but I wish it hadn't been a gift... I'd have returned it.

EasyShare, my @$$!

Comment

The Sony is cheap, but it has a fixed LCD screen. That feature alone is what puts me off.

My Canon G6 has a flip-out screen that means I can see what I'm taking for any angle including self portraits, over heads in crowds, around corners, odd angles in engine bays, under the dash. -Places that I can't fit into..

Something like the Canon A650 is probably what I would suggest. More expensive than the Sony but I would spend the extra.

Tech Talk - Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Comment

Don't buy it from best buy - they're going bankrupt - so their rotten customer service will become just slightly (almost imperceptably) worse when they go bankrupt.

The Sony is a so-so camera; there are better cameras for less. Canons are the "best" for pictures at this moment.

I've had a Nikon - nice, yet fragile (slid across my floor and was inoperable).. and now a Olympus stylus 1030 and I really like it.... it's water"proof" to 5 feet; and drop proof to 10 feet....

I use quotations because those are subjective viewpoints....

Just whatever you do, avoid Best Buy at all costs.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I 2nd avoiding Worst Buy at all costs! The sad thing is that it used to be my favorite store!

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneshrink
              Canons are the "best" for pictures at this moment.
              Always have been in my view. I sold cameras for just under 10 years and they were always the better choice whether it be compacts, SLRs or video.

Comment

I like Nikon. I've had several Nikon point and shoots, passed them on to my wife and kids. They outlasted the Canons and Sonys around here. They have them for the same price as the Sony you're looking at. But go to a proper camera store, I like Wolf.

Comment

My wife and I bought a Canon PowerShot A590is and we LOVE it! It takes 2 AA batteries and we've owned it for over a year and hav not needed new ones. The picture quality is outstanding, it shoots video (I guess they all do that now) and in addition to a large LCD screen it also has a viewfinder in case the sun is at your back. I think we paid just under $200 for it a Circuit City.
                  Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I got this exact same camera last year and I'm quite happy with it. Perfect for quick point and shoot stuff. I wanted something that was very small to fit in my pocket when going to car shows etc. and it takes great pics. No complaints for what it is.
                    If your looking for something fancy to start taken serious pics with then this will let you down. I use my trusty old Pentax for that <non digital, still uses film, remember that? lol>
                    But I would def. recommend the Sony for taken quick fun type pics ;)
                    "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

A couple years ago, when I was shopping for a camera for the g/f, the Canon was the highest rated and had the best comments of all of them. Sony's were next. (in the point and shoot category)
                      I got her a Canon A540... didn't want to get her something too small, cuz she loses stuff pretty easily.

Without researching it, I'd say that either a Canon or a Sony would both be fine choices for a point and shoot camera... but if you're really wanting to get the best camera for your money, check some "consumer reports" type websites that specialize in digital cameras. I can't remember the name of the website I used back then... but a google search for "digital camera comparison" brought up tons of possibly helpful sites.

Comment

quicktime is evil.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Bill, I shoot professionally. I have people come to me all the time asking questions about their small compact cameras. The sony is minimal for quality, flash is crap. While I dont like the New York big camera houses, I will use Adorama Camera, hopefully you get a guy that speaks clear english. With that being said, do not buy any grey market products. I would go with the Nikon (not saying canon is bad), check out an S50 or better. You will not go wrong, good warranty, good service from Nikon if you need it. Better quality pixels, better features, cost as I recall around $200 give or take a few bucks.

The other thing is to make sure the battery(ies) are rechargeable. As several have mentioned, they will chew through batteries and some of those are damn expensive. PM me if you want more details. Good luck
                          Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman
                            I hate to toss Kodak under the bus (my uncle used to work for 'em) but here I just can't hold back:

I have a Kodak C633 which takes pretty decent pics.... when it works. It eats AA batts for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (even lithiums); even with new batts, sometimes it won't turn on. Never dropped either.

The package it came with had the wrong pc download cable included... what a PITA.
                            Sounds weird saying it, but I wish it hadn't been a gift... I'd have returned it.

EasyShare, my @$$!
                            I have a Kodak Z760 with the EasyShare software and it works flawlessly. Can download pics from the camera to the 'puter with one button push. It comes with rechargable batteries so AA's aren't an issue and the rechargeable batt holds it's charge for quite a while. It's not real good at focusing on real close things but it's just fine for the few pics I take.

Comment

I love my Nikons, d300, d100, n80, n50 and the wife has a Nikon point and shoot. Ie had canon , olympus and yashikas.
                              Reading , Pa
                              Good Guys rodders rep.
                              "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                              Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Working...
                              X