Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next generation? For gymracer01

Originally posted by gymracer01
    I've taught high school Auto Shop for 39 years.

Jim
    Awesome. So please tell us your opinion: are there fewer gearheads now than there used to be? Is the next generation all into import cars, as some say?

Re: The next generation? For gymracer01

As a point of reference, I seem to recall that there were about 4 or 5 real gearheads in auto shop when I was a senior in high school in 1979...there were about 2000 people at the school total.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

we only had a few gear heads when i was in shop class. out of that class, only 3 people i know of still work on cars- me, friend john(body man) and friend paul( one of lexus head techs)

Comment

Hopefully, the ratio of legit car-cats to the panty-waist pretenders

will not tip in favor of the natural-born poseurs, but some days

you gotta wonder!!----------------------------------------------- ;)

Comment

Jim that is a really interesting point.... there might have been 10 of us in my HS... but I lived in LA county...

K

Comment

My sons schools enrollment is around 550 kids.His auto tech II class has 20 students.He said out of the 20 maybe 10-12 are gearheads.Their instructor really isnt into the gearhead stuff.I do like the fact that my son is learning the "new school" stuff that I dont know a dang thing about. ;D His knowledge will cover the last 40 years or so with what I have taught him about"old school"

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
              Originally posted by gymracer01
              I've taught high school Auto Shop for 39 years.

Jim
              Awesome. So please tell us your opinion: are there fewer gearheads now than there used to be? Is the next generation all into import cars, as some say?
              not in the Flint Michigan area, die hard muscle car racers......who wrench on thier own stuff.......very few import lovers....

Comment

I didn't take Auto shop at school (Fleet Mechanic old man and a troublesome Buick taught me plenty) and I only knew 3 people who were in it and in the end none of them are gearheads, this was 1995-1999.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Well here is my 21 year old son doing what he likes ! His Dart is a street car like my 63 and he has run 11.40's in it. My 19 year old is in the US Navy and he is stationed across the country right now. He just bought a 96 Mustang Cobra as he really likes them. So thats 2 young guns into rear drive muscle cars. Ron

Comment

Working...
                  X