Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes, my 1972 Gran Torino is the downfall of Detroit...according to LA Times...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, my 1972 Gran Torino is the downfall of Detroit...according to LA Times...

I've posted this on torinocobra and Fordmuscle, but felt you guys need to see this crap.
    The title star of 'Gran Torino' is a metal hulk that illustrates what went bad in Motor City.

Damn LA times, bashing the Torino.

I got pissed, fired off an Email to the author.

RE: comments on Gran Torino movie.
    Dear Sir:

While you are simply just another movie critic, some "car guy" you really are.

Please research before you start mind numbing conjecture.
    A novel concept of "Think! It might be a new experience!" might help you, so when properly writing an article, and save the mindless bashing one praticular vehicle or company. While I'd like to hope the people of the great state of California would honestly have good judgement, it seems quite the opposite for most of the media.

The 1972 Ford lineup had a completly re-engineered lineup in the intermediate class; they went away from the unibody design at that time, and went to body-on-frame construction, and the benifits were many-fold.
    The body-on-frame construction enabled the engineers to better isolate any road noise, it was a good HD chassis that served many civic and government service positions.
    The 1972 Ford Intermediate class line up, offer some things so many new cars can't even pretend to offer.
    The choices in options, drivetrain selection, and comfort seems to quite exceed most new cars.
    If you bothered to do proper research on the matter, the Torino out sold the closest competitors by a fairly large amount, the feedback at the time was noted in many of the magazines, I suggest also looking back to Car and Driver, September 1971. The press seems pretty happy with it.
    Braking performance was one of the best out of comparable vehicles. Compared to newer vehicles with ABS, for such a "outmoded relic" as you like to infer, the performance is pretty damn good for a car weighing what it does, equipt with manual front disc brakes and rear drum brakes.
    As far as the handling, if these cars were optioned correctly with the maximum handling package, with the correct gearing, a 4 speed, and the quicker ration steering, these cars are quite able to handle any road...it's not going to be like driving a Porsche from the same era, but compare apples to apples.

Also, take a good look at the local Police next time you are out...most of our nation's finest depend on Crown Victoria's day in and day out and they seem to still be using the descendant of the Torino's full frame chassis.
    I wonder why that is? Maybe because they are a durable platform that handles real service duty that most unibody cars seem to fold up under extreme use?

Then again, one could surmise, you probably prefer to wrapped up in a newer-model vehicle that seals out any possible experience of actually enjoying the drive in a car that does not look just the same vehicle next to you at the light.

Any way, have fun with the belly-button-bore-us-to death '69 Camaro, Toyota Prius, or other non-descript vehicle that you drive.

Andrew *
    Omaha, Nebraska

Member of Fairlane Club Of America
    Torinocobra.com
    Fordmuscle.com
    GranTorinoSport.org

eliteman76@*
    ------------------------------
    I didn't send this to him, but something for all the guys on the Torino boards:

{If that upsets anyone, I'll take it down, but some how I don't think it will...}

And some of the ammusement at TorinoCobra.com forums:

Andy
    Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Re: Yes, my 1972 Gran Torino is the downfall of Detroit...according to LA Times...

Just another reason not to read magazines or newspapers, nobody ever knows what they are talking about, they always end up talking about something they know nothing about, hence why AMCs are always bashed, people who know nothing about them, say they were badly made cars, which is not true (except in a few small cases, but every company has those)
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Re: Yes, my 1972 Gran Torino is the downfall of Detroit...according to LA Times...

they still make the 72 torino
      ford calls it f 150 ;D

Comment

What? You act as if you didn't know that the Torino was the downfall of Detroit. I thought that was one of the things that attracted you to the car. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
          they still make the 72 torino
          ford calls it f 150 ;D
          HA!
          That one made me smile spidey!
          Andrew
          1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
          2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Re: Yes, my 1972 Gran Torino is the downfall of Detroit...according to LA Times.

Dan Neil sounds like every commenter on Jalopnik. :

Comment

Yeah sure the Torino is the down fall of detroit.They should have kept making them and there wouldn't have been a downfall.Jack ass journalist with no buisness doing that job just writing stupid crap to write it.

Comment

They are full of shit!! I would hate to see what they would say about the 1971 Mercury Montego. :D
                Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

dan neil=
                  Original Carjunkie TV Member

Comment

Re: Yes, my 1972 Gran Torino is the downfall of Detroit...according to LA Times.

Originally posted by Screaming Detroit
                    dan neil=
                    Seeing how every third person in West LA drives a hybrid, if not, they drive some overpriced euro-POS; I'm guessing he's included in that snobby uninformed group.

I had a client who said he wanted to buy American to help Americans, but since no US company made a copy of his BMW SUV, he didn't. In reality, he was too chicken to show he had a different point of view; and scared he would be ridiculed every time he went to the water cooler by the other sheep.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

But that was a long time ago and in a different country.
                      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by dagenesta
                        But that was a long time ago and in a different country.
                        werd

Comment

Don't you just hate Expert Automotive Journalists that ain't
                          According to Wikipedia "five years as contributing editor for Car and Driver"
                          I don't think many of us have read that rag lately
                          I bet the only vintage Ford he ever dropped his snooty backside into was a Cortina
                          and I doubt if he knows a Camaro from a Camry

Makes me want to dig out my Starsky & Hutch DVDs again...Men were Men , Cars were Cool....

Comment

asshat: One who has their head up their ass, thus wearing their ass as a hat.
                            Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Yeah.It would have been much better with a 72 Volvo.Would have made Eastwood look cool...

And they didnt rust either,and they handled like a 2008 Volvo :.

It isnt right to the American public,to have editors like that.

If you compare a Grand Torino and a Mustang from 72..Is the Mustang better?.

If there had been used a 72 Mustang in the movie(or a camaro),i guess he wouldnt have said a bad word about it.Cause some of his buddys have that sort of cars..

Comment

Working...
                              X