Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe you've been wondering........

where I've been the last week +

I've been lurking here all day (first day back at work), wondering if I should post this or not.....well, I know a lot of you pretty well (I think) from what I've read. I've talked to a couple of you in PM's and phone conversations. You're all a bunch of good guys (mostly.....) that my old man would like to talk to.......

See, my dad died Tuesday, Jan 13.

After suffering a loooong battle with different cancers, dialysis, and congestive heart failure, he died from, of all things, Hypoxia.

Basically, he could no longer (due to anemia) eliminate Nitrogen from his bloodstream. It built up and forced out oxegen in the cells of his brain.

He went to the hospital on Monday, Jan 5, for "lucid" hallucinations and a headache. He KNEW what he was seeing wasn't "real". The doctors, hospital staff, myself, and he, all thought he was having reactions to his newest chemo-meds.

After 5 days, they determined he had 48hrs to live.
    That was Friday of last week.

He died on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at precisely 5.30pm.
    What he used to refer to as "Quittin' time in the South!!!".

This sucks.

I (and he) thought he would come home.

He never needed anyone to take care of him, never needed anyone to help him around (at 85yo)!, cooked his own meals, cleaned house, raked leaves...whatever. He was totally independent (until they suspended his license for his heart condition last year!), and no one lived with him. He was totally independent. After they suspended his license, it required a couple minutes of my time to run him around a couple days a week (no big deal.....). Even though I explained to him I had unlimited time available, whenever, for whatever, he felt bad I "had to loose time", for whatever reason.............

He went racing with me, traveling for years as my only crewmember, and never complained about anything (except loosing early...he hated that).

He was my biggest cheerleader, my loudest fan, my waterbox guy, and could psych out anyone I ran.
    Shaking hands with a competitor, smiling at 80+ years old....saying "Good Luck!!"....and mumbling loud enough for them to hear "You're gonna NEED it!!".
    The guy that never met a stranger. He could remember names of people I raced (and as he would say "beat") from years before.
    I saw him at least 5 days a week, morning and afternoon, and usually Sat/Sun mornings, too...for at least a couple hours each time.
    He "managed" my race shop. Paperwork, bookkeeping, income, outgo....it was all his deal.....he wouldn't LET me do any of it. Anytime I was there, he was, too. He had an alarm to tell him when someone entered the drive. No one could "sneak in" unnoticed.

Now, when I go inside the shop....its empty. Looking over at the chair he "built" (basically a broken lawn chair, with couch cushions he stole from a neighbors toss-out, duct taped together 15yrs ago!)....it feels like nothing I've ever felt in my life....like nothing "good" will ever go on there again.

Am I depressed? yes.

Will life go on? ....yes.....over time........... :'(

But right now, this is absolutely the worst thing I've ever dealt with in my life....

Sorry for the long post, I just thought y'all might like to know, there ARE bigger things in life than "cars". Luckily for me, it WAS "cars" that made us so close over the last 20+ yrs................thats the thing I can be thankful for...........

Re: Maybe you've been wondering........

It sure sounds like your dad was a good man who lived his life the right way. He's certainly a man I would have liked to have met.

There's certainly no good way to step off this bus without leaving the people you love feeling sad, but man it sure sounds like you guys had some great times together.

Just think, he's telling a crowd of guys right now about this kid that'll be up some day to whip all their asses. ;)

Brian

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. Cherish the memories. I'm sure you do. I wish you and yours all the best and you'll be in our thoughts and prayers.

Comment

CaddyMan, you and I could pass on the street and never know whom we are, but my heart goes out to you. My condolences to you and your family. My father was a pile of sh** and I have always been envious of someone who had the kind of relationship you had with your father. I cannot imagine your loss. Time will heal all wounds, but a painful scar never goes away...and it's OK to grieve, and the there is no expiration date for that!
        If you have children, do your best to have that kind of relationship with them...create the next generation!

Comment

I'm very sorry for your loss, Caddy.
          Been thru alot of that, and soon my dad will be gone.

Your in my prayers, hope it helps.

Comment

Caddy.....man, I wish I could say something that would take away the pain and loss.

Never a good time to lose someone....particularly the old man.

Prayers/vibes/whatever you require.......

Comment

as someone who really digs your informative, level headed posts - I feel for your loss!!! Your post is an awesome testimonial to your relationship with him which really sounds like it could NOT have been any better than it was. Congrats for that!
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Caddy, Iam very sorry to hear of your loss. Wish I had some encouraging words for you.
                Ive been spending time at the hospital with my father in law. He is not a car guy, but he humors my affliction. I stay after everybody else has left. He cant say much do to his breathing , but we kinda know what each other is thinking. I know we dont have much time left. Im just trying to make him comfortable .
                Be the man he would want you to be, and cherish his memory, Doug
                Reading , Pa
                Good Guys rodders rep.
                "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

No need to apologize for your post. I am sure we all understand. I know I sure do. Such losses are difficult, I know from experience. Things will eventually get back to somewhat normal, but you are right it will take time. Like someone else has said cherish the moments you and your Dad had together it sounds like they were very special. My heart and prayers go out to you.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Comment

A loss like this is never easy.
                      I got a disturbing call right this morning about my own father lying in the hospital since yesterday with pneumonia. But since he's been a heavy smoker and drinker in his life, he has it real bad and seemingly had a very close call last night.
                      We don't hang out together anymore these last couple of years because he once chose to live with a woman 'not running on all 8' so to speak. And I really can't stand that person for several reasons.

Hang in there fellow, time will need to get to work on this.
                      www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Caddy, sounds like a great man. I lost my dad about 4 years ago. We wernt as close as we should have been. We all need someone like that in our lives. You and your family will be in our prayers.
                        Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

I think that it is great that a forum like this is available for somebody in your situation to vent and share your thoughts with us.Hope that it gets a little easier in the near future.I have not had to deal with this yet and am not looking forward to it.Your in our thoughts and keep hangin in their.cherish those memories.
                          Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

With sympathy. I feel for you. Cherish the memories.
                            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Keep a good Heart. Our Family will send a Prayer.

Comment

Working...
                              X