X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squirrel
    replied
    Re: Saftey Glasses

I think the robots in this short animation don't have safety glasses on! but the animation won the contest it was entered in....done by some high school student on our robotics team....seen on a NASA webcast this morning by thousands of people, too!

Leave a comment:

• Fordplay0621
    replied

I Work on Aircraft, and you have to wear all the Protective equipement when you are doing anything that might get ya.
    Especially when playing with the Fuel.

Leave a comment:

• etbird
    replied

Safety glasses and ear protection. I worked in the custom cabinet business for thirty years, and they saved me many times. Now I show my grandkids shop safety. Never get in a hurry, always put them on.

Leave a comment:

• Huskinhano
    replied

I wear them any time I'm using a power tool. I told my supervisor at work that I was going to become a millionaire and invent safety glasses with bifocals in them. A few days later he presented me with a pair of safety glasses with bifocals in them he purchased at Grainger. I guess I'll have to continue being a working stiff.*G*

Leave a comment:

• Tommy
    replied

I ran a weedwacker 10 hours a day right out of high school and saw plenty of things smack me in the face and hit my safety glasses. I believe in them. After the first few months of marriage I just kept them on..... Ear plugs too... helmet and flack jacket would have been nice.... She left. Cars stayed

Tommy

Leave a comment:

• HoosierGTA
    replied

Alright I'll be the first to admitt that after 8hrs in the shopat work,I don't wear them 80% of the time at home when I should. I've even had slivers in my eye three times,once a doctor had to pull it out after putting my head in a vice!Why am I so hard headed at home? I even had a stone blow apart while using my die grinder three days ago. Probably time to clea out the garage tomorrow so I can find 1of the three pair I have at home.

Leave a comment:

• FEF100
    replied

When hammering, using power tools or under car, ALWAYS. I learned from having to flush rust out of my eyes several times. Saves a lot of time & agrivation to just use the safety glasses. I have been lucky enough to only scratch an eye a few times before I learned this.

Leave a comment:

• Robert1320
    replied

Originally posted by Eric68
    Besides safety glasses when using an angle grinder, I started wearing them whenever I crawl under the car -- Somehow that one piece of dirt still manages to fall in my eye. Drives me nuts.

I also started wearing earplugs when grinding and welding -- ever had a hot piece of slag go in your ear? :-[
    Eric

I am with ya there. Safety glasses and hearing protection. Everything in the shop is loud and/or flying at you.
    No only that but after 8 years in the military and a couple of trips over seas I don't hear that well any way and sometimes get ringing in my ears. So, along with my sight I would like to check what I have left of my hearing.

Leave a comment:

• HEMI
    replied

Originally posted by studemax
    I've been wearing tri-focals for the last 23 years.
    I wear bi-focals,makes it hard to climb stairs,and ladders,can't imagine what complications tri's make.Some times I wear eye glasses,saftey goggles,and face sheild.Call me 4 eyes if you want,kept a lot of crap out of my eyes.
    Yep,I wear hearing protection too.Have always been hard of hearing in my right ear,standing next to open exhaust race cars didn't do me any good either,but saved me from going to VietNam.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
    You generally have only 1 correctly working version of your body parts, protect them.
    I have matched pairs of a lot of stuff, but I kind of want to keep it that way!

Leave a comment:

• CTX-SLPR
    replied

I wear saftey glasses whenever I'm working on anything in the garage. I always wear sunglasses when I'm mowing unless its too dark then I switch to the safety glasses again. I spent good money on my Smith & Wessons and they are amazingly comfortable and scratch resistant. I was the saftey officer at my last job in the Air Force Research Lab so I got quite used to saftey stuff. I wear eyes and ears whenever I'm working with anything more powerful than a cordless drill. I also don't wear gloves around anything rotary having seen what it can do if it grabs a hold of your glove. American Chopper caught what can happen on national TV. I need to get a good dust mask and respirator since I work in an enclosed garage. You generally have only 1 correctly working version of your body parts, protect them.

Leave a comment:

• Eric68
    replied

Besides safety glasses when using an angle grinder, I started wearing them whenever I crawl under the car -- Somehow that one piece of dirt still manages to fall in my eye. Drives me nuts.

I also started wearing earplugs when grinding and welding -- ever had a hot piece of slag go in your ear? :-[

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

Having nearly gone blind (complication of diabetes), I'm real careful to install 'em when I'm doing anything the slightest bit dangerous. I'd wear them whenever I was in the shop, but I do a lot of body work and the darn things attract filler dust like mad, making vision nearly impossible. Since my cataract operation, I only need corrective lenses for close vision, so this is taking some getting used to (I wore glasses since I was 13).

Later
    Dan

Leave a comment:

• studemax
    replied

I've been wearing tri-focals for the last 23 years.

Leave a comment:

• Budro35
    replied

I even wear them when I go to bed, just in case............

Leave a comment:

Working...
X