X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster
    replied
    Re: Taiwan Chrome

OH, COME ON AND QUIT THROWING OUT THE RACISM HATE CARD, CAUSE WE DON'T BUY INTO IT !!!

We don't care where a part comes from or who made it, as long as it is good quality.
    We are just calling a spade a spade. Accept that and get on with your life.

See, Keith, I couldn't delete mine.
    ;D

Leave a comment:

• shaun callaway
    replied

Originally posted by biginch
    i have JB WELD AND DUCK TAPE, i can fix ANYTHING!

i like your style

Leave a comment:

• biginch
    replied

i have JB WELD AND DUCK TAPE, i can fix ANYTHING!

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

BUt you can make the parts fit...what about rebeldryver's water neck? you can't even fix a part if it's made from the wrong material.....

Leave a comment:

• biginch
    replied

it really is just because the companies who import from china like to sell us garbage and we like to buy it. i say this because the products MADE IN CHINA FOR CHINA are actually pretty nice stuff. who do you think makes the vast majority of the machinery used to build the garbage we buy from them? they build it, and do you think they could sell us that crap so cheap if they were sitting around all day waiting on a millwright,or waiting on parts? look at the heavy stuff they build for themselves, they are just as capable of building quality product as we are, but we are the walmart generation, "i dont give a shit if it only works twice, i want it cheap!"

even the GM made smog pump delete idler pulley/bracket didnt fit out of the box, it had to be ground on and the holes reamed, and it was supposedly manufactured just for that bracket.

Houstons first law of hotrodding: if it doesnt require modification before installation, it isnt the right part.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

There really is a difference, and I never said that every part made in the US is perfect.

Really, go to a dollar store and go shopping for import stuff, then try to find similar quality items made in the US. They really do make a lot of really bad stuff overseas, it is made exclusively for export. The US has always exported stuff, but we don't make things just for export.

It has nothing to do with racism, it has a lot to do with the fact that we developed much of the technology for manufacturing, so we were the first to have a manufacturing based culture....and the first to have a consumer culture too.

Things will eventually change in China, just as they have in Japan, then South Korea, then Taiwan.

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied

Originally posted by KeithTurk
    I'm going to take the 5th too... just deleted a 2 page rant... simply isn't worth it...

Look to ourselves first.... foremost and always... we created everything we are... that simple...

Keith
    We all have interesting and valid perspectives.

biginch, your project el camino reminds me of MOST projects I help tune and work on. Generally, most of my time is spent waiting while parts are returned, or reworked, to fit and function. You named some companies that claim "all made in the USA" etc. and observed that domestic production doesn't guarantee quality. Your experience is more like what I've seen "out there" and I think those here who are trying to claim "where it's made" determines a products quality level, aren't making an unbiased observation. Racism perhaps? I'm not sure why we're trained to hate any country other than our own, but I am certain the phenomenon isn't helping our situation.

We put ourselves in this boat, there's no sense turning it into a pile of hate, or racism, or ???ism.

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied

Did I say Tiawan chrome SUCKS !!!
    Oh yeah, I did.
    Just wanted to make sure.

Leave a comment:

• Fordplay0621
    replied

I have a set of 64 Impala SS Hubcaps that were on the Car origionally 10 days and were stored in the Attic for nearly 35 years, then I hung them on my Garage wall for the past few years. I'm thinking about putting them on Ebay for a small pittance. I got them from a family friend for $50.

Leave a comment:

• KeithTurk
    replied

I'm going to take the 5th too... just deleted a 2 page rant... simply isn't worth it...

Look to ourselves first.... foremost and always... we created everything we are... that simple...

Keith

Leave a comment:

• biginch
    replied

Quality engineering is not the practice of ensuring the best quality possible. it is the practice of deliberately engineering a product to last only as long as needed. sadly given the "racing" purpose of most of the aftermarket performance parts we use, the desired lifespan of them is simply viewed as just enough to sell them. they arent made to hold up, they are made to look good enough to get off the shelf, then it is "sorry, that is a race car part, no warranty, too bad.........." or at best "send it back to the manufacturer, we dont do any warranty here".

i like "made in the usa", and in general "made in english speaking countries". BUT they dont view it any differently. they still make their junk just as cheap as possible.

a buddy of mine recently came in from iraq, while he was in we dropped a 383 into his elcamino, i swear we had to modify about 90% of all the parts we installed onto that damn car, even the ludicrously expensive Edelbrock small block serpentine water pump didnt fit the application it was supposedly made for, we had to grind off about 1/8" of metal from each side of it because it interfered with the STOCK camaro serpentine bracketry we were using, required modification out of the box!, then it had only one set of holes and the damn things were metric! try finding the right bolts to put a 2.5" spacer and flex fan at 8pm on saturday night (advance auto parts thank god).

the yella terra rocker arms i have on my camaro, claim to be for dart big-m heads, but dart aluminum heads require a longer rocker stud/bolt on the exhaust side, well the bolts supplied are fine for the intake side, but the ones supplied for the exhaust are too short by 3/4", had to go buy the right legnth bolts and grind down the heads to fit properly. "but its cheaper that way"

it never stopped, it seemed like everything had to be modified, headers, throttle bracket, water pump, fan spacer (universal my ass), balancer was shorter than stock (what the hell, wouldnt it cost me less to buy the properly made part than to have to hunt down a pulley spacer?), didnt i mention that once it is modified it is yours forever?

my 400$ MSD DISTRIBUTOR came with the wrong o-rings for sealing around the oil galley, when i called summit and asked about it, i got bs'd and told i must be mistaken, then was told msd would drop ship the right stuff to me, but i never saw them. i looked, i guess autotronic controls wants to rape me for 11$ because that is what they sell the correct o-rings for.

cant they just make the parts correctly the first time? they wont, they dont have to, we keep buying that crap anyway, because places like my only local speed shop will not accept ANY RETURNS unless they are still in the original packaging, and looking perfect, even if they sell you the wrong parts and it is their mistake, too bad its yours now.

true quality went out the window when universities started teaching hardcore bean counter logic to business students, and stopped emphasizing the pitfalls of false economy. yes it is cheaper to make this part shoddy, and you will make 10 cents more on it today, but next month when the customer needs something else you make, he sure as hell aint gonna buy it from you.

reputation is the only thing to motivate a manufacturer to deliver a quality product, but anymore i dont think that means much to anyone. try getting on the phone to edelbrock, take your geritol first, youre gonna need it, same thing with ARP, better take a day of vacation from work. they are pretty much the only game in town for what they sell (not totally, but almost) they dont give a damn if you are happy or not, because if you wanna play, you are most likely gonna pay THEM.

this trend isnt limited to just hot rodding, it is spreading rapidly in other "captive" markets, the airlines being a big example. what passneger ever told an airline they would rather starve on the trip across the country? they didnt eliminate meals from flights to remain competitive, they did it to INCREASE profits! meanwhile passengers are threatened with prison time if they complain about the crappy service, or lack thereof.

wow, i am kind of dizzy this high up on my soap box.
    huey

Leave a comment:

• Tom P
    replied

I bought a new repro V8 emblem for the grille of my 53 Ford truck , in just 4 years it is pitted worse than the orginal was after 50 years. And that's after being kept clean.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

Originally posted by Groucho
    So, without the demands of the EPA, why does overseas chrome suck the big wahoon?
    Cheapness....plain and simple. Most of the chrome stuff is made to appeal to those folks who like shiny stuff, so all they do is make it shiny...they don't bother with the copper or even the nickel.

Leave a comment:

• Two Lane Blacktop
    replied

Originally posted by Rebeldryver

Sounds like the

air cleaner

on my Caprice.
    Yep!!

Got a 14" open-element repro air cleaner

and a set of BBC (stock-appearing) valve covers

from Year One doing the same thing!! --------------------------- >

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied

Three simple words ladies and gentleman, three simple words:

Free market economy

Simply put, buyer and seller set the prices of goods without coercion from an outside force. Therefore the incentive on behalf of a manufacturer is to produce their product at the high quality and low cost. Because of the cost of raw materials and labor in this country the job of manufacturing the product is farmed out. Diesel Geek is right. We're victims of our own spending habits. If enough people buy crap, than the industry standard becomes crap because it sells and it's cheap to make.

Be an educated consumer if you want to buck the trend and ask the questions you want answers to when buying parts.

Brian

Leave a comment:

Working...
X