X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groucho
    Guest replied
    Re: Taiwan Chrome

I think it sucks. The originals (chrome, weatherstrip, etc) can last 40 years on average, on a car that sees all sorts of elements as a driver. But, the repop shit lasts a year or two on a car that now stays in a garage almost exclusively. Pretty ####ed up, given today's technology. You'd think it could be made cheaper AND better?
    Originally posted by ImpalaKonrad
    I just picked up a bunch of chrome pieces from my local Classic Chev outlet based on the fact that they are so darn cheap. I got the trunk trim, I.M.P.A.L.A letters and 283 fender tags all for under $150. Why so cheap? Cause it was made in TAIWAN! I love that economies of scale are allowing off shore manufactures make our hobby, and my old Impala more affordable. What do you think?

Leave a comment:

• Ron Ward
    replied

Wait until you get ahold of some stuff made in Sri Lanka..... UGH!

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

Probably old stock!

Leave a comment:

• Freiburger
    replied

I'm amazed they were Taiwan and not China.

Leave a comment:

• shaun callaway
    replied

Originally posted by squirrel
    If the chrome can't survive a boat ride, how is it ever going to hold up for 10-25 years on your car out in the weather?

THe reason most of the repop parts come from overseas is that we are too cheap to pay Americans to do the job right....

that and the cost to make a part overseas is a whole lot cheaper than it is here.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

If the chrome can't survive a boat ride, how is it ever going to hold up for 10-25 years on your car out in the weather?

THe reason most of the repop parts come from overseas is that we are too cheap to pay Americans to do the job right....

Leave a comment:

• shaun callaway
    replied

alot of our chrome products from the local auto part stores come from overseas. i worked with these products for a little while and the biggest problem isn't the chrome itself or the process and metals they use it is actually their shipping process. with the product coming over on boats the products are not properly protected from the elements of the ocean, just my experience.

Leave a comment:

• joebogey
    replied

Don't install those pieces yet, they may be recalled for lead contamination....

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied

Taiwan chrome SUCKS !!! It will start to fade and rust will start building up within 6-months.
    How do I know? Don't ask or I will have to kick myself in the butt (again).
    Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• ImpalaKonrad
    started a topic Taiwan Chrome

Taiwan Chrome

I just picked up a bunch of chrome pieces from my local Classic Chev outlet based on the fact that they are so darn cheap. I got the trunk trim, I.M.P.A.L.A letters and 283 fender tags all for under $150. Why so cheap? Cause it was made in TAIWAN! I love that economies of scale are allowing off shore manufactures make our hobby, and my old Impala more affordable. What do you think?
Working...
X