Taiwan Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taiwan Chrome

I just picked up a bunch of chrome pieces from my local Classic Chev outlet based on the fact that they are so darn cheap. I got the trunk trim, I.M.P.A.L.A letters and 283 fender tags all for under $150. Why so cheap? Cause it was made in TAIWAN! I love that economies of scale are allowing off shore manufactures make our hobby, and my old Impala more affordable. What do you think?

Re: Taiwan Chrome

Taiwan chrome SUCKS !!! It will start to fade and rust will start building up within 6-months.
    How do I know? Don't ask or I will have to kick myself in the butt (again).
    Good luck.

Comment

Don't install those pieces yet, they may be recalled for lead contamination....
      sigpic

Comment

alot of our chrome products from the local auto part stores come from overseas. i worked with these products for a little while and the biggest problem isn't the chrome itself or the process and metals they use it is actually their shipping process. with the product coming over on boats the products are not properly protected from the elements of the ocean, just my experience.

Comment

If the chrome can't survive a boat ride, how is it ever going to hold up for 10-25 years on your car out in the weather?

THe reason most of the repop parts come from overseas is that we are too cheap to pay Americans to do the job right....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
            If the chrome can't survive a boat ride, how is it ever going to hold up for 10-25 years on your car out in the weather?

THe reason most of the repop parts come from overseas is that we are too cheap to pay Americans to do the job right....

that and the cost to make a part overseas is a whole lot cheaper than it is here.

Comment

I'm amazed they were Taiwan and not China.

Comment

Probably old stock!
                My fabulous web page

Comment

Wait until you get ahold of some stuff made in Sri Lanka..... UGH!
                  It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I think it sucks. The originals (chrome, weatherstrip, etc) can last 40 years on average, on a car that sees all sorts of elements as a driver. But, the repop shit lasts a year or two on a car that now stays in a garage almost exclusively. Pretty ####ed up, given today's technology. You'd think it could be made cheaper AND better?
                    Originally posted by ImpalaKonrad
                    I just picked up a bunch of chrome pieces from my local Classic Chev outlet based on the fact that they are so darn cheap. I got the trunk trim, I.M.P.A.L.A letters and 283 fender tags all for under $150. Why so cheap? Cause it was made in TAIWAN! I love that economies of scale are allowing off shore manufactures make our hobby, and my old Impala more affordable. What do you think?

Comment

Lots of misconceptions here in this country about parts made overseas.

my experience has been, if you're outsourcing parts manufacturing and are lazy, meaning "undetailed specifications" on the part you're having made, you get cheap junk back because overseas manufacturers will take every possible route to reduce their costs. It's called "business" and that's how you survive.

If you have a part made overseas and do a good, ISO-style job at requirements/specifications, in detail, you'll get exactly what you ask for. Most people on here have no idea what they THINK was made here, but actually made overseas. Cheap China Chrome is a common issue, but it's not the fault of the Chinese, Taiwanese, etc. when something that's designed here, and made over there, is junk. I've worked with enough overseas mfg facilities to know that they are SMART at doing business, and staying in business. They also don't have labor unions driving the cost of employment UP and the skill of employment DOWN. Gives them the competitive edge.

-scott
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

It sounds like you're either THERE, or from there ;D. I'll say 90% of stuff I see from there is poorly made from poor materials. Hell, even the cardboard box is a piece of shit the stuff comes in! They're the only boxes I won't reuse. You're saying it's our fault? I'll guess our manufacturers send the same specs to overseas manufacturers as here. Why would they send different specs? Makes no sense to me. If I made a part here, and wanted it cheaper, I'd send the same spec sheet (or whatever you call it) and ask how much to produce this? HOWEVER, being a one man shop, I've had very reasonable luck with many items from Harbour Freight. My parts washer is 15 years old, i leave it low on solvent most the time(sucking air), and have left it on overnight many times.
                        Originally posted by dieselgeek
                        Lots of misconceptions here in this country about parts made overseas.

my experience has been, if you're outsourcing parts manufacturing and are lazy, meaning "undetailed specifications" on the part you're having made, you get cheap junk back because overseas manufacturers will take every possible route to reduce their costs. It's called "business" and that's how you survive.

If you have a part made overseas and do a good, ISO-style job at requirements/specifications, in detail, you'll get exactly what you ask for. Most people on here have no idea what they THINK was made here, but actually made overseas. Cheap China Chrome is a common issue, but it's not the fault of the Chinese, Taiwanese, etc. when something that's designed here, and made over there, is junk. I've worked with enough overseas mfg facilities to know that they are SMART at doing business, and staying in business. They also don't have labor unions driving the cost of employment UP and the skill of employment DOWN. Gives them the competitive edge.

-scott

Comment

Originally posted by Groucho
                          It sounds like you're either THERE, or from there ;D. I'll say 90% of stuff I see from there is poorly made from poor materials. Hell, even the cardboard box is a piece of shit the stuff comes in! They're the only boxes I won't reuse. You're saying it's our fault? I'll guess our manufacturers send the same specs to overseas manufacturers as here. Why would they send different specs? Makes no sense to me. If I made a part here, and wanted it cheaper, I'd send the same spec sheet (or whatever you call it) and ask how much to produce this? HOWEVER, being a one man shop, I've had very reasonable luck with many items from Harbour Freight. My parts washer is 15 years old, i leave it low on solvent most the time(sucking air), and have left it on overnight many times.
                          Nope, I just have manufacturing experience with overseas facilities, and a company that's been doing it for years and have "learned their lessons" on quality.

There are TWO kinds of import products: those that were designed here, and those that were "cloned" overseas. Keith's brother in law will tell you all about the "cloned" parts. Sal manages Total Cost Involved, and has had overseas "salesmen" show up at his facility with cloned parts, offering to sell them to TCI at a fraction of TCI's cost to make the parts. Problem is, critical steps in the process are skipped, to either be cheap or from lack of experience with the part in real use. If you have a junk spindle that cracks in half because it missed a critical step, and your wife and kids are in the roadster with you, that's obviously bad. This is the "downside" to overseas mfg. Love it or hate it, it's an issue. But it's separate from parts that are designed here, and made there... if TCI/Sal decides to buy and sell that part and it fails on you, is that China or Taiwan's fault? thank God TCI knows quality comes before cost!!!

Parts designed here and made overseas, the onus of quality is on the American company doing the spcifications. Period.

My point? it's stupid and uninformed to hate, or rally hate, against overseas countries for "parts quality" if WE are the ones in charge of the design and QC. There's a lot more to it than 99% of people in this country understand, but that doesn't seem to stop the hate sentiment towards other countries. Interesting phenomenon for sure. Long and short, industry goes where it can find the most affordable resources. And they ain't here, for whatever reason. I don't see how we can blame anyone but ourselves?
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Now wait a minute! You admit that there are asian companies that make pure crap and try to sell it here, and somehow it's our fault if we buy what they make?

Yet there don't seem to be any American companies making equivalent crap here.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Personally, I think we goofed allowing anything here from there. It opened an opportunity for garbage to be produced that, in my opinion has been kept at bay. One of us goes overseas to lower prices, the guy with the better part finds it hard to survive unless he follows suit. Just an opinion. I buy my parts from a local Ma/Pa type auto parts and pay a bit more, but I get a lot less "comebacks". Same with my machinist of 30 years. It costs me a lot more than most to rebuild an engine. But, I know I've been sold good rings, bearings, gaskets etc. Again, little to no comebacks. Whenever stuck in a situation to buy shit parts, it's bit me on the ass every time it seems. If it were up to me, no import garbage for whatever reason.
                              Originally posted by dieselgeek
                              Originally posted by Groucho
                              Nope, I just have manufacturing experience with overseas facilities, and a company that's been doing it for years and have "learned their lessons" on quality.

There are TWO kinds of import products: those that were designed here, and those that were "cloned" overseas. Keith's brother in law will tell you all about the "cloned" parts. Sal manages Total Cost Involved, and has had overseas "salesmen" show up at his facility with cloned parts, offering to sell them to TCI at a fraction of TCI's cost to make the parts. Problem is, critical steps in the process are skipped, to either be cheap or from lack of experience with the part in real use. If you have a junk spindle that cracks in half because it missed a critical step, and your wife and kids are in the roadster with you, that's obviously bad. This is the "downside" to overseas mfg. Love it or hate it, it's an issue. But it's separate from parts that are designed here, and made there... if TCI/Sal decides to buy and sell that part and it fails on you, is that China or Taiwan's fault? thank God TCI knows quality comes before cost!!!

Parts designed here and made overseas, the onus of quality is on the American company doing the spcifications. Period.

My point? it's stupid and uninformed to hate, or rally hate, against overseas countries for "parts quality" if WE are the ones in charge of the design and QC. There's a lot more to it than 99% of people in this country understand, but that doesn't seem to stop the hate sentiment towards other countries. Interesting phenomenon for sure. Long and short, industry goes where it can find the most affordable resources. And they ain't here, for whatever reason. I don't see how we can blame anyone but ourselves?

Comment

Working...
                              X