X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taiwan Chrome

THAT'S my dog!
    Originally posted by squirrel
    Now wait a minute! You admit that there are asian companies that make pure crap and try to sell it here, and somehow it's our fault if we buy what they make?

Yet there don't seem to be any American companies making equivalent crap here.

Comment

Originally posted by Groucho
      THAT'S my dog!
      Now wait a minute! You admit that there are asian companies that make pure crap and try to sell it here, and somehow it's our fault if we buy what they make?

Yet there don't seem to be any American companies making equivalent crap here.

lol

Half correct.

I'd like to ask you about your comment that there is no "equivalent crap" made here. In my experience, *especially* with the automotive aftermarket, quality control on go-fast parts we purchase is HORRIBLE !!! Are you and groucho *really* trying to say that a purchase of a part that is "domestically" made, means there can't be any quality issues with it??? : seriously...

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

No, I'm saying that US companies seem to understand that the parts they make have to meet at least a minimum quality standard.

The asian companies don't have our rich industrial heritage to look back on, to see how things should be done....and they don't have any Impalas sitting around to test fit parts on, either.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

No, I'm saying that US companies seem to understand that the parts they make have to meet at least a minimum quality standard.

The asian companies don't have our rich industrial heritage to look back on, to see how things should be done....and they don't have any Impalas sitting around to test fit parts on, either.
          I'm confused, what minimum quality standard are you talking about? surely the domestic brand, aftermarket SBF block that a friend of mine bought that had major flaws must have missed this domestic quality review??

Seriously, I'll gladly take input here, but I've been around too many flawed "Made in America" parts to see any difference. My whole point is, no matter WHO we WANT to blame, we really should only be blaming ourselves.
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

How many of you have or want a HD television? How about a killer sound system in your ride?
            I remember hearing all the same gripes about items made in Japan. 30 years ago it was all trash. What happened?
            I'm not sure our economy needs items from offshore but if your going to buy it they're sure going to supply it. You only need to look in the mirror....
            There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

What's amazing is that these American companies don't seem to care about there reputation for using Chinese manufacturers to make their products. The more unsatisfied customers, the worse their reputation gets. Someone once sad that a happy customer tells 10 people about their experience, an unhappy customer tells 100.

Here's a personal experience this year. I bought a chrome water neck for my Impala's 383 just before Car Craft's Anti-Tour this year. I purchased this in March 07 from Spectre. Yep, Chinese made. The pictures shown what it looked at in July 07. Yes, I did replace the anti-freeze.

Four months is all it lasted. Now, I know chromed water necks made from crappy pot metal don't last as long as the original cast iron ones, but this is pathetic. Since this is something that is not exactly a part you can patch fix on the side of the road and is impossible to drive without, I went back to cast iron.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                What's amazing is that these American companies don't seem to care about there reputation for using Chinese manufacturers to make their products. The more unsatisfied customers, the worse their reputation gets. Someone once sad that a happy customer tells 10 people about their experience, an unhappy customer tells 100.

Here's a personal experience this year. I bought a chrome water neck for my Impala's 383 just before Car Craft's Anti-Tour this year. I purchased this in March 07 from Spectre. Yep, Chinese made. The pictures shown what it looked at in July 07. Yes, I did replace the anti-freeze.

Four months is all it lasted. Now, I know chromed water necks made from crappy pot metal don't last as long as the original cast iron ones, but this is pathetic. Since this is something that is not exactly a part you can patch fix on the side of the road and is impossible to drive without, I went back to cast iron.

interesting. I worked at Spectre. What did tech support say when you called them about it? Also, did that get beaten with a hammer or ???

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                  I'm confused, what minimum quality standard are you talking about? surely the domestic brand, aftermarket SBF block that a friend of mine bought that had major flaws must have missed this domestic quality review??
                  Apparently....but how does it compare to a Chinese block?

There has been a big improvement in the quality of stuff coming from over the pond, and there are many brands of asian goods that are always very high quality. The problem is that there is so much range in quality, from that good stuff down to really really bad garbage.

I still think it has a lot to do with the fact that they are not producing the goods for their own use--a concept which seems to have taken hold here about the time the Model T went into very large scale production....

My fabulous web page

Comment

Apparently....but how does it compare to a Chinese block?

There has been a big improvement in the quality of stuff coming from over the pond, and there are many brands of asian goods that are always very high quality. The problem is that there is so much range in quality, from that good stuff down to really really bad garbage.

I still think it has a lot to do with the fact that they are not producing the goods for their own use--a concept which seems to have taken hold here about the time the Model T went into very large scale production....

Isn't there the exact same range in quality of domestic parts though too? And given that the domestic part is more expensive... I fail to see your logic here, which is strange because usually I follow you 100%.

Comment

Interesting stuff, I can live with sub 100% quality on finishing items because I can also live with the fact that my car has, and will always look sub 100% but on motor/suspensions nothing but the best American/Canadian made parts will do for me. I hate doing things twice and enjoy the realibility of my ride.

Comment

Go to a dollar store, and tell me about the quality you find. Can you find similar quality items made in the US?

Look at that water neck....are there any US made zinc water necks?

My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by joebogey
                          Don't install those pieces yet, they may be recalled for lead contamination....
                          Yet another reason not to let your children or animals chew on your trim.

Comment

this is interesting.

i also worked for spectre (i was the tech support/customer service guy there). if you would have called and stated that you had a problem with this product i would have sent you out a new one at no charge and also had you send the other one back so we would have been able to improve the product. i am not going to sit here and defend the company because i no longer work for them.

one question where are all your electronics made at?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver

interesting. I worked at Spectre. What did tech support say when you called them about it? Also, did that get beaten with a hammer or ???

I didn't call them. What would they do about it? Say they are sorry and then give a speech about how they care about the quality of their products. Then maybe make me wait to get another one.

I went to the parts store to get another, but discovered they were made in China. Since I drive this car regularly on 1000 mile trips to see my family; I thought it best not to test my luck again. This is one engine component that can cost a lot of damage and money in towing if it failed out on the open road.

I paid 10 bucks for this one. I would've paid twice that and more for one that would last ten years. Companies don't seem to get that.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

They've been making chrome water necks for chevys in Taiwan and China for decades...they make them out of zinc instead of iron or aluminum, and they are junk. They used to not have the O ring, they leaked even more quickly with just a gasket.

Does Spectre really not understand that water necks need to be made of a different metal?

My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X