Taiwan Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taiwan Chrome

I'm going to take the 5th too... just deleted a 2 page rant... simply isn't worth it...

Look to ourselves first.... foremost and always... we created everything we are... that simple...

Keith

Comment

I have a set of 64 Impala SS Hubcaps that were on the Car origionally 10 days and were stored in the Attic for nearly 35 years, then I hung them on my Garage wall for the past few years. I'm thinking about putting them on Ebay for a small pittance. I got them from a family friend for $50.

Comment

Did I say Tiawan chrome SUCKS !!!
        Oh yeah, I did.
        Just wanted to make sure.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
          I'm going to take the 5th too... just deleted a 2 page rant... simply isn't worth it...

Look to ourselves first.... foremost and always... we created everything we are... that simple...

Keith
          We all have interesting and valid perspectives.

biginch, your project el camino reminds me of MOST projects I help tune and work on. Generally, most of my time is spent waiting while parts are returned, or reworked, to fit and function. You named some companies that claim "all made in the USA" etc. and observed that domestic production doesn't guarantee quality. Your experience is more like what I've seen "out there" and I think those here who are trying to claim "where it's made" determines a products quality level, aren't making an unbiased observation. Racism perhaps? I'm not sure why we're trained to hate any country other than our own, but I am certain the phenomenon isn't helping our situation.

We put ourselves in this boat, there's no sense turning it into a pile of hate, or racism, or ???ism.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

There really is a difference, and I never said that every part made in the US is perfect.

Really, go to a dollar store and go shopping for import stuff, then try to find similar quality items made in the US. They really do make a lot of really bad stuff overseas, it is made exclusively for export. The US has always exported stuff, but we don't make things just for export.

It has nothing to do with racism, it has a lot to do with the fact that we developed much of the technology for manufacturing, so we were the first to have a manufacturing based culture....and the first to have a consumer culture too.

Things will eventually change in China, just as they have in Japan, then South Korea, then Taiwan.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

it really is just because the companies who import from china like to sell us garbage and we like to buy it. i say this because the products MADE IN CHINA FOR CHINA are actually pretty nice stuff. who do you think makes the vast majority of the machinery used to build the garbage we buy from them? they build it, and do you think they could sell us that crap so cheap if they were sitting around all day waiting on a millwright,or waiting on parts? look at the heavy stuff they build for themselves, they are just as capable of building quality product as we are, but we are the walmart generation, "i dont give a shit if it only works twice, i want it cheap!"

even the GM made smog pump delete idler pulley/bracket didnt fit out of the box, it had to be ground on and the holes reamed, and it was supposedly manufactured just for that bracket.

Houstons first law of hotrodding: if it doesnt require modification before installation, it isnt the right part.

Comment

BUt you can make the parts fit...what about rebeldryver's water neck? you can't even fix a part if it's made from the wrong material.....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

i have JB WELD AND DUCK TAPE, i can fix ANYTHING!

Comment

Originally posted by biginch
                    i have JB WELD AND DUCK TAPE, i can fix ANYTHING!

i like your style

Comment

OH, COME ON AND QUIT THROWING OUT THE RACISM HATE CARD, CAUSE WE DON'T BUY INTO IT !!!

We don't care where a part comes from or who made it, as long as it is good quality.
                      We are just calling a spade a spade. Accept that and get on with your life.

See, Keith, I couldn't delete mine.
                      ;D

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteMonster
                        OH, COME ON AND QUIT THROWING OUT THE RACISM HATE CARD, CAUSE WE DON'T BUY INTO IT !!!

We don't care where a part comes from or who made it, as long as it is good quality.

;D

yeah right. how many domestic aftermarket parts have you installed on your own car again?
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

you get what you pay for.
                          HRPT 2004LH 2007LH 2008

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteMonster

;D
                            I agree with Monster. I don't care where it's made. I just want quality. But since so much stuff I've bought that was made in China lately hasn't been worth bringing home; I am leary of anything made there these days. It's a shame really. It would only take some care on their parts to build quality parts. Perception is that they only care about is American money.

Back in the fifties, no one believed the Japanese could make anything of quality. Some of that prejudice may have come from the war and attack at Pearl, but by the mid 70's all that changed. I don't think you will find many people argue that Japanese products, especially autos and electronics are top notch these days. It only took twenty years to change our minds and the Japanese intense quality control.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

One Chinese product that is reknown

for longevity & durability is:

Their freakin' indestructible tractors that

first work a full-lifecycle plowing rocky

fields in North Korea, then go back

to China to be painted & overhauled for

shipment to the US of A for another lifecycle.

(Same for their irrigators/generators, etc.)

Comment

An idea that's been touched on in a few posts here, and hasn't been brought to the forefront is that it's the company's that are selling it here. Even if it's manufactured in China, there is an American company that has contracted with them to make the part as that American company has contracted them for. If you have a factory and someone comes to you to make XYZ part for $5.00. If you tell them you can make a quality part for $10, or low-quality for $5.00 and they choose the $5.00 part, who's to blame. We are a Wal-Mart/Consumer economy, we don't expect things to last. My Dad's still driving the '70 Impala that he bought as the family car when my brother was born. I've already gone through an engine and a tranny in my Explorer, while the Impala had the cam, lifters, and pushrods replaced. OE's are now making car's that don't need to have service for 100K miles, but how many people do you know that actually keep the car for the 100K miles?

If the inferior products (made in China or U.S.A.) weren't distributed or carried by stores there would be no demand and no manufacture of them. However, they are carried and they are sold, so to quote Kieth, "Look to ourselves"
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X