Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there State Emissions testing, where you live ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there State Emissions testing, where you live ?

do you think it's a joke,

or are the standards tough to meet ?

Is testing necessary ?

Re: Is there State Emissions testing, where you live ?

Its a taxation racket in PA, IMO.
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

No testing here, I think testing has outlived it's purpose and is now nothing more than a revenue source.

Comment

None in Michigan....WooHoo...

They really don't care around here.

Seth
        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

There is in the state where I live, but not in the county where I live.

I think it's a waste of time and money.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
            There is in the state where I live, but not in the county where I live.

I think it's a waste of time and money.
            We have testing here in Phoenix, but up in Show Low they don't, so guess where the cars that don't pass emissions get registered. ;) Personally I think it's a joke. The test for my '99 Z28 is just plugging the car into their computer and seeing if it threw any codes. They didn't even check to see if I had catalytic converters. Basically I think with today's cars, emissions has become the way of the dinosaur.

Comment

I live in California, so.........yeah.

I think there is some merit to some of the testing that is done. After having seen some of the hows and whys of the smog testing done here, I can see a use for an evap test. Seems that mileage should increase if your fuel you pump into your car doesn't evaporate into thin air.
              Other than that, if it passes the sniffer test, I think it should be ok.
              Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

we have it here in Lake county, Indiana, but they don't have it in the rest of the state.
                Originally posted by TC
                also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Just to show you how well testing works...here's a chart that shows how the ability of cars to past the IM240 dyno test varies with ambient temperature (blue is when testing was done when it's under 90 outside, red when it's over 90)

So...all that needs to be done to make HALF the failed cars pass the test, is to come back in the morning and take the test again!

The same guy who discovered this, also discovered that there is no significant difference in average on-road tailpipe emissions in areas that have smog testing, compared to areas that don't have smog testing. This was done using the remote sensing device that he invented.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel
                    we have it here in Lake county, Indiana, but they don't have it in the rest of the state.
                    Interesting, we also have it in Lake County Ohio. All I know is my suzuki passed with a gutted cat so I don't know how useful it is. Ours doesn't cost anything, but it's a pain to have to do it every other year.
                    I R Bob
                    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

No testing where I live, but I may move to a county closer to Atlanta and get the testing required.

Comment

Originally posted by dagenesta
                        Its a taxation racket in PA, IMO.
                        and I perform the test , and I agree.
                        Reading , Pa
                        Good Guys rodders rep.
                        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                          Just to show you how well testing works...here's a chart that shows how the ability of cars to past the IM240 dyno test varies with ambient temperature (blue is when testing was done when it's under 90 outside, red when it's over 90)

So...all that needs to be done to make HALF the failed cars pass the test, is to come back in the morning and take the test again!

The same guy who discovered this, also discovered that there is no significant difference in average on-road tailpipe emissions in areas that have smog testing, compared to areas that don't have smog testing. This was done using the remote sensing device that he invented.

that makes total sense. Look at the chart - old cars with carbs have the biggest problem. Carb's aren't compensating for mixture. Cold air is more dense, so guess what happens?
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

No testing here in Ely. I'm from California though, and like cantvalve16 says, I see a need/purpose for it, any one that has lived in LA or the Inland Empire through the 80's can attest too is that the air quality is a 1000 times better now than then. At the same time though I think the rules need to be re-vamped to be more tail pipe oriented. Not saying the visual needs to go away, but at least make it make sense. Rags for gas caps (Chad!) should not pass a visual, similarly other grossly neglected things, but if a device (like the EGR) is eliminated and the tail pipe says the engine tune made it unncessary, then let it go.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

No testing here in Alabama....... :
                              That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Working...
                              X