Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there State Emissions testing, where you live ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there State Emissions testing, where you live ?

Missouri is a cluster.

We've had it in some form or other.
    Mechanics shops used to do it.........then went private (that was real fun)

Just got changed again.

I believe the areas getting tested are St. Louis & Kansas City and the surrounding counties.
    I'm in Jefferson County, just South of St. Louis, so we have to get tested......15 miles down the road
    no testing. Some of my buddies have mailing address's in counties that don't require it.

They used to have the mobile units (sniffers) out......when you passed one they would get a reading and
    photo your license plate. If you passed, no testing next time license was due.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
      Just to show you how well testing works...here's a chart that shows how the ability of cars to past the IM240 dyno test varies with ambient temperature (blue is when testing was done when it's under 90 outside, red when it's over 90)

So...all that needs to be done to make HALF the failed cars pass the test, is to come back in the morning and take the test again!

The same guy who discovered this, also discovered that there is no significant difference in average on-road tailpipe emissions in areas that have smog testing, compared to areas that don't have smog testing. This was done using the remote sensing device that he invented.

I would venture to say that the report is by the same person that discovered that crude IS a renewable resource. Considering that ALL the wells that were running dry in 1974/75 are still pumping today, And a pump in Oklahoma that struck in 1866 is also still pumping.

Comment

years ago, when I lived in Central KY - we didn't have emmissions testing, but there was a State Safety inspection that you could get done at practically any gas station

you know - horn / turn sigs / brakes / lights / exhaust

some places were very strict - and some places would fill out the sheet while you stood inside = so many peope complained that they finally did away with it

I remember one time, in my 68 'tang GT, one place said my tires were too bald and I needed a new exhaust ( had "Cherry bombs" hooked to headers, then straight pipes that barely made it past the rear axle)

I'm thinking - I'm a poor H.S. kid who barely has enough money for gas and cruisin, I can't afford that .... so I just drove down the street, and magically passed same day

Comment

Before Massachusetts got real serious about it, you could slide any guy at a gas station 20 bucks and he'd put a pass sticker on it.

Then they had dyno testing and now they are just testing OBD2 equipped vehicles. Everything else just needs the visual.

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I would venture to say that the report is by the same person that discovered that crude IS a renewable resource. Considering that ALL the wells that were running dry in 1974/75 are still pumping today, And a pump in Oklahoma that struck in 1866 is also still pumping.
            Yap they say the U.S. only owns 4% of the worlds oil, but what they don't tell you is it'll last for another 100 years. :o

Comment

While I was in Texas it went from no testing, to some testing, to a combo that depends on the year of the car. They use the dyno. Here in California it all gets tested if it's 1976 or newer.

What that means is that I won't own anything newer than 1975. Personally, I prefer 1973 and earlier.
              "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

A buddy of mine swore he'd never own anything that didn't come with round headlights. I don't think he did either.

Comment

That's actually a really good rule.
                  "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

We have testing in Metro Atlanta because of pollution levels but no where else in GA. The test costs $25.00 and covers cars and light trucks up to 25 years prior the current one. You get a 2 year reprieve on a new car. The cars that were 10yrs on newer just get an exhaust test while older one get an exhaust test with a load on the engine (dyno). There is a visual examination of the catalytic converter to make sure it is present. Any car that comes in with a service engine code stored in the computer fails.

I have modified my Regal (chip, bigger turbo, injectors, fuel pump, etc...) and have had no problem getting it to pass. It is a pain to jack the car up yearly to put the catalytic converter back on but in 2 years, hopefully, the tests will end.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                      Before Massachusetts got real serious about it, you could slide any guy at a gas station 20 bucks and he'd put a pass sticker on it.

Then they had dyno testing and now they are just testing OBD2 equipped vehicles. Everything else just needs the visual.

Brian
                      are you sure about that...???????????
                      if so. how would one find that info??
                      I'd love to set the 305 ho (180hp) aside..
                      and slid in my 355.. into my monty $$

Comment

No.

Comment

Working...
                        X