Aussie Iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie Iron

When living in Australia I fell in love with a bunch of these quirky cars. Anyone else know about them?

Re: Aussie Iron

Comment

That Valiant Wagon rules!!

Ax

Comment

These are Valiants! Woohoo!!!

The blue one is a 1962 Valiant as evidenced by the round tail marker lamps. I used to see one (sometimes 2) every morning in my driveway. This one was factory equipped with an iron-headed, aluminum-block 225 cid Slant Six with a pushbutton A904 Torqueflite and a 7-1/4" rear end. All that stuff went away and we stuffed a 360 with a 727 and an 8-3/4 with 4.10 gears in that puppy. It was still extremely light and tipped the scales at a scant 2750# with driver. With the low-compression 360 (8:1??) from a 1977 Dodge van which still had the original bearings and rings, we ran for 8 seasons with only minimal problems. That engine logged over 1500 dragstrip runs!

Just for you A-Body Mopar fans (and future fans), the engine bay on the '60-'62 Valiants and Lancers are the same size as the '63-'66 A-Bodies (Valiant, Dart, Barracuda) and we had our best luck with headers from Hedman that were originally designed for an engine swap to put a 340 into a 1966 Barracuda. Although they are a fenderwell design, they fit perfectly around the dual-reservior master cylinder (1975 Dart) we put on the car to accomodate the disc brakes. I used a pair of engine mount pads from a 1977 Dodge Van and elongated a couple of the bolt holes to get them to mate up with the factory K-member in the Valiant. The result was a solid motor mount arrangement that kept the 360 from banging on the hood. Later in life, we replaced the old 360 with a Magnum 390 crate engine and blasted out a best of 11.66@118.

I would really like to have another one.

Ron
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

the valiant wagon is freakin sweeeeeeeet :o

Comment

I was lucky enough that the junk yard I worked at in Sydney had a "panel beater" (Aussie term for body shop) across the street who specialized in old Mopar restoration and I got to see all sorts of neat projects from start to finish. Here are a few pics of a Dart that was so rusted that it could have come from Canada. Apparently the Ocean air distroys cars just as bad as our North Americian rust belt does.

Comment

wow

that will look good when its done though.

Comment

Or how about this right hand drive 409?.....Oh, and this was his parts runner.

Comment

Too bad most of the drag racing was done at night under poor lighting because there were lots of Ford 351-GT's and early 70's Holdens in attendence.

Comment

The blue valiant had 'Tilley Automotive' on its fender. I wonder if that is Cameron Tilley - that dude has a badass turbo'd slant six that runs in the 10's in a full weight street car.

Comment

I've developed a taste for Aussie stuff...had a pilot that had a early-mid-70's Fairmont (think Mad Max Falcon shape) that was blacked out with a 351M on nitrous, I've seen Amxautox's Aussie Charger, and I'd kill for a GTO with the Monaro front end. Not to mention it's one of the maybe 3 countries Nissan sent the nasty version of the Skyline to...wonder if the western parts of the country are free-roam and fast?
                      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Working...
                      X