CarJunkieTV.com Now Hiring! Gearhead Video Junkies Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CarJunkieTV.com Now Hiring! Gearhead Video Junkies Needed

I'd love to do it, but I do lack some of the experience listed, don't have HD gear, and can't live in LA on $50k/yr, who can?

I'd be down for some freelancing of course though.

Comment

Originally posted by 1320Video
      And you will be, we hope. HD would help a lot. The cameras are not that expensive any more.

Seems SOMEONE can live on the salary...we have nearly 300 local applicants now.

Comment

Decent HD DV Camera's start at 10K.

With that many applicant's I hope you get some good car guys in there and not just some film school smucks with PA experience and bigtime dreams. Lots of flakes in this industry.

Freelancing would be cool, but sticking to only HD will make it harder to get guys to do it.

Comment

I'd love to do it, but I do lack some of the experience listed, don't have HD gear, and can't live in LA on $50k/yr, who can?

"Living" in SoCal takes nearly twice that, IMO. If you're an outsider moving in. If you have parents with a big basement there, or bought your house 20 years ago, sure $50K works.

Grinner's work seems pretty good to me, from what i've seen. His editing and shooting seem excellent!!! He probably makes more than $50K in STL already though.

-scott

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
            And you will be, we hope. HD would help a lot. The cameras are not that expensive any more.

Seems SOMEONE can live on the salary...we have nearly 300 local applicants now.
            What cameras are you guys planning on using?

Comment

We aren't sure on cameras yet. We are letting the new team spec out what they need and want. We have lots of contacts in the production business so the relationship with vendors is good. We have a JVC prosumer level camera that DF and I carry around to play with and that's it. Not any of our good stuff yet.

$50k is doable here. Apartments do not cost $1700 everywhere. I pay $2250 for a 2200sqft house on a third of an acre. It's not in LA, but it's in a great area. I could easily live on $50k on my own or with a wife that worked too. Not a problem. Not rich, but doable. Now, keep in mind, I don't own or want to own a house. That makes it a little cheaper. Not much though since the guy that owns my house has to pay for it with my money.

As far as hiring Kyle? No way, we need him other places, and he is way too successful at his own TWO gigs to stop. For those of you that don't know, Kyle does 1320 as a side deal. He could make a fortune on it, but then it wouldn't be fun. (His words.)
              "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

I live in LA, and not in a cheapey area on a lot less than 50K a year. Thats why I wish I had more qualifications for the job.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I have a question...what is the more important qualification here.
                  Being a car guy or knowing ALL the equipment on the list?

You can learn ANY equipment. If you've used AVID you can learn FC, After Effects, Flash, etc., in a short time. Video cameras just have more bells and whistles as they get more expensive, but you either LOVE CARS or you don't...in my experience, technical equipment does not a good video make, (I didn't say it doesn't help) but, you can't just show up and wave expensive equipment around and have something really impressive to edit, you can't expect a non-enthusiast to care enough about the difference between a 2400 stall torque converter opposed to 4800...their eyes just glaze over and so will their camera. If you don't have footage and audio you don't have a segment, bottom line. What makes great CAR videos is to capture the passion of owning great cars and how satisfying it is to have automotive projects. Sometimes learning all the way through it. Most importantly know WHAT your shooting so you KNOW what you need when it comes time to edit the footage with the audio...and hopefully, turn more people into American car enthusiasts with accurate informative fun video.
                  Oh, $50k is great...If you love what you do you'll never work a day in your life.

So back to my original question...what is the more important qualification here.

Comment

What is the plan for content Carjunkietv.com will produce?
                    Will you be reworking former material.
                    Or will most of it be fresh content?
                    How many titles do you plan to produce?
                    will it be "viral" content in nature or HOT ROD.
                    Are you open for suggestions for original productions?

Just curious.

THANKS

Peace
                    On
                    Earth

Comment

Originally posted by rustymuffler
                      The most important thing is being able to get the job done. We've met car guys who can't do enough video stuff and video guys who could never live in the car word. We're seeking balance. We've been telling people that content and entertainment is more important than feature-film production quality, but we can't have YouTube schlock, either. We need someone to help us create a "reality" environment that's real, not hackneyed like most of what's out there. If you can do that but don't meet every tech requirement, apply. We're sorting out the team for the best combination of skills. The ideal person would know all our tech requirements and also be as hardcore as we are with cars. That perfect person likely does not exist.

And, BTW...we pay way more than any starting car magazine staffer gets.

Comment

Originally posted by bumpercrynkle
                        What is the plan for content Carjunkietv.com will produce?

Just curious.

THANKS

Peace
                        On
                        Earth
                        Vast majority is fresh content created with us in our shop, on the road, and at events. We will also be buying freelance work, some of which will likely need to be re-edited to meet our needs. There will also be some in-house-agency work in cutting commercials for sponsors.

We will have four of five shows to start with, each unique in character but with identifiable CarJunkieTV.com branding and ethic.

Huh?

Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                          Originally posted by rustymuffler
                          The most important thing is being able to get the job done. We've met car guys who can't do enough video stuff and video guys who could never live in the car word. We're seeking balance. We've been telling people that content and entertainment is more important than feature-film production quality, but we can't have YouTube schlock, either. We need someone to help us create a "reality" environment that's real, not hackneyed like most of what's out there. If you can do that but don't meet every tech requirement, apply. We're sorting out the team for the best combination of skills. The ideal person would know all our tech requirements and also be as hardcore as we are with cars. That perfect person likely does not exist.

And, BTW...we pay way more than any starting car magazine staffer gets.
                          lol - we exist. We are just up here in canada!

I have had the JVC 'Prosumer" cameras and really thought they were not good at all. I am a big Canon and Sony fan for that level of cameras. I would look into a Canon GL2 for a really nice DV cam that is not big bucks. Also the Sony XL1's are sweet.

I was going to film the buildup of my 57' Poncho. It would be kinda fun to mix hobbies again.

If there is going to be freelance stuff, I got dibs on the HAMB drags! I filmed it all last year and was editing together a video when a bunch of stuff got stolen. You guys would love that event.

Comment

Split off - http://www.carjunkieforums.com/index.php?topic=1051.0

Comment

Forget the 300 Applicants, Hire Kyle, He can do the work of 3 Video Junkies and pay him the 150K a year, he's worth it!

Comment

Thanks for the plug Phil/Charlie (I can't ever remember who uses which username)

Nice avatar BTW, the purple twins are badass!

Comment

Working...
                                X