What is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this?

So my wife found this in her grandmother's house and brought it home. I'm trying to figure out what it is. It has 5 plates of glass in it, but each plate appears to be identical. They are not curved or tinted. Any ideas what this might be?
    Still plays with trucks....

looks like a sample kit of different types of glass for a salesman. i'd say its probably pretty old. i found a small link to the glass association of america. seems they were selling glass containers? perhaps for moonshine back in the day?

Comment

That seems like a pretty good explanation. I'm intrigued by the "annealing standards" chart on the front. I'd really like to know what that means.
      Still plays with trucks....

Comment

annealing is heating metal and allowing it to cool on their own to allow the molecules to expand and making the metal softer for forming. They use scribes to check the hardness of the metal, so these glass lenses are different hardnesses to calibrate the scribes that scratch the metal. You scratch the glass, you are harder than the rating of the scribe.
        Last edited by anotheridiot; March 4, 2014, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X