A Happy Medium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Happy Medium?

I got this completely gutted out 69 Satellite. Was planning on making it over a long period, but now I'm finding some of the stuff a little faster than I planned and long story short, we're gonna get to doing some serious work on this thing. So my husband asked me if I plan on making it into a cruiser or a racer and of course I give him the look of, "What? I can't have both?" Is there a way to have a happy medium that you can have a car that can be used as a daily driver, but that you can also take out racing (in classes that don't require roll bars??? Does that even exist????) Any words of wisdom?

Sure, there's lots of advice about that - go to the Project Cars page, and search for "quick flip" or have the words "I'm only just going to...."

Trust me, mortgage the house now - it'll save precious time later when you need to put down a deposit for a carbon fiber body.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

happy medium... that last until it's drive able..
      then you want faster,, then faster, and then the medium. is in the mirror and getting smaller and smaller..

Comment

These guys are offering sound advice based on their personal experience (mine is similar) but it IS possible to make a sort of two-way machine. It's just that it won't be REALLY good at either and that may be OK if you know that going in. My Mustang is like that and it REALLY isn't competitive with cars that fit in it's class at an NHRA event but it IS a fun and quick daily driver.

Have fun with it and remember that you only have to please YOU!

Dan

Comment

How fast is fast is the question 11's 10's 9's 8's 7's 6's.... the 11s are doable and so are the 10's after that its all $$$$$$$$$$
          Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
          Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            These guys are offering sound advice based on their personal experience (mine is similar) but it IS possible to make a sort of two-way machine. It's just that it won't be REALLY good at either and that may be OK if you know that going in. My Mustang is like that and it REALLY isn't competitive with cars that fit in it's class at an NHRA event but it IS a fun and quick daily driver.

Have fun with it and remember that you only have to please YOU!

Dan
            Yes Dan, you nailed it. It doesn't have to be super competitive on the race track and at the same time, I don't want to be pulling over every 5 minutes because I'm overheating on my way home from work (7 mile commute.) But yeah, I would like to take it out once in a while just to see how fast he can go. Trust me, I'd be happy doing like a 14. I have somewhat realistic expectations. I have zero interest hawking myself into more debt. So back to your theory: how possible is it? Let's add affordable in there while we're at it lol.

Comment

depends on the vehicle and what you call affordable? and what you can do yourself , if you can take your time and hunt for good deals.. etc

what I mean is a fox body mustang is cheaper to build than a 51 Plymouth.. affordable to me.. at 20 and what that means now. are 2 different worlds..
              if you are paying someone to do the work.. the affordable takes a big hit.. buying new parts or used or junkyard left overs can make a huge difference in affordability

Comment

the only happy medium is a gypsy with a crystal ball

that said, 14s is pretty simple - my H3 Alpha runs 14s (14.98).... don't ask how I know this which is 6060 lbs of burger-loving fun.... 300 hp, 4:10 gears.

In short, a 360 with a cam and better heads, and even easier with a 440 and good parts.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

If you want drivability and go-fast, forget 'big rough idle cams' and think 'power-adder' (turbos & superchargers). 14s might seem like a nice goal to chase but once you'll notice how easy you got there you'll want to shoot for 13 or even 12s. This is where a nice turbo or cent.charger can help out a relative stock engine.
                  www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar View Post
                    If you want drivability and go-fast, forget 'big rough idle cams' and think 'power-adder' (turbos & superchargers). 14s might seem like a nice goal to chase but once you'll notice how easy you got there you'll want to shoot for 13 or even 12s. This is where a nice turbo or cent.charger can help out a relative stock engine.

No love for nitrous?!?!
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

satellite.. first thing I thought of was spring ends poking into the trunk.

do an IRS.. everything else is normal, almost.

not to be discouraging, the satellite was one with all big chrysler engines, the deepest fastest loudest combo I ever heard and felt shake my quiet forest neighborhood.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 11, 2014, 05:48 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Torque will make you smile on the street... Freak everyone out and drop a 500 Caddy into it.. Son's Skylark with just a 950 dp added could almost do wheelies.. They are wide motors..

Comment

We already have the engine and transmission (383 big block, 727 3-speed). That's what my guy is delivering in 2 weeks ::happy dance:: I just figure it's bigger than what was on my Olds and that's a plus already. Not gonna deal with supercharging... yet... that's a land I know nothing of and I'm kinda scared to go there for the time being. One thing at a time. Car built first, upgrading later. Or getting another car later. I still want an old military Jeep to make for my hunting vehicle.

Comment

You didn't say you had the motor/trans earlier.... 383's respond well with little tweaks.. Several guys on here can help you out as to direction..

Comment

I don't have the engine... yet. It's getting delivered next weekend (22nd). As far as the tax office knows, I don't have it ;) I don't believe in getting taxed on something I don't have har har har.

Comment

Working...
                              X