No announcement yet.

A Happy Medium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private sales are taxed too?? I am sales tax ignorant as we do not have it here in OR... If you buy a motor, how do they know to tax you? I'm sure friends who sell friends stuff don't report it!

Comment

You say you're going to be driving this a lot. It has a 383 Big Block, a 3 speed auto. You want to race it as well as drive it. You're going to be bracket racing then. Don't worry about making it run a quick number, just focus on reliability and torque. Mild cam, headers, good heads, dual plane intake, decent carb. And keep the rear gear tall so you can drive it on the freeway! No more than 3.55 gears. You'll probably end up with something in the 12s, which is plenty to start and makes for an entertaining car to drive on the street. What's your budget?
      1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
      1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Reliable, Fast, Cheap...pick two 'cause all three don't come in one package.

The same suspension modifications that work for the street or a road course are not necessarily the same ones that make for a good drag strip car. Determine exactly what you want from the car, build the car that way, then build the motor and transmission. If you have an awesome drivetrain but a slouchy suspension and rear gear, your ride may sound good but not deliver the expected performance. It all has to work together to be a complete package. A house without plumbing & windows may as well be a cardboard box. JMO

Just because an engine is bigger doesn't mean it's better, you ever drive a 425 Cadillac? The one I had was a dog compared to the stock 350 Chevy in my other car. I take it your Olds had a 350 in it?

So, when are you going to post pics and/or start a project thread?
        Last edited by 68scott385; March 12, 2014, 08:22 PM.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
          Private sales are taxed too?? I am sales tax ignorant as we do not have it here in OR... If you buy a motor, how do they know to tax you? I'm sure friends who sell friends stuff don't report it!
          Yep. We have to pay an ad-valorum tax in GA. It's bull, but how the city makes money. They base it off the title when you register the car, but because it was older than what's in the system, they had to go off NADA value. And again, because there's no engine in it, NADA couldn't give a value, so they had to scratch their heads, walk around confused for 20 minutes, not know what to do before basing it off the sales costs. Well, dang, I coulda told them that. It was only $28 but, still. I wrote a whole blog about the asinine process of trying to get the title in my name. Literally, I walked out of the tag office like eff this!!!! OK, I lied, I walked in with the same thought, but still. It sucks either way.

Comment

pictures? Body work is time consuming, that is where most of the cost is in the paint job, and you can do a lot of the body work (sand, prime, block sand, some more sanding and then figure on some more time to sand). Running around in primer is not rust protection - my biggest complaint when I see primered cars.

Who has the link to the roller paint job articles?

Steve Dulcich (dulcich on here) haunts this place from time to time, he's probably got a 383 article somewhere. I think he likes that Pentastar stuff.

Last edited by Beagle; March 14, 2014, 09:13 AM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I'm still miffed that no one thought my happy gypsy comment was funny....
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                Oh, ha ha ha... That was super funny ::cricket chirping::

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  I liked it, SBG. The kind of appreciation of one of a like kind to another. Remember I'm the Bozo who made the "cheerful clairvoiant" (misspelled) comment.

I wonder if spell checker now works in the new environment?

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DasBoogs View Post

Oh, ha ha ha... That was super funny ::cricket chirping::
                    thanks for the noplause.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                    X