Bench race this: Cadillac 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench race this: Cadillac 500

I don't need another project, but I tend to ponder something for years then, when the deal and time hit - buy. (see my prior posts about diesels in Land Rovers).

Anyway, I have a 500 ci Cadillac motor that was in my Studebaker truck, I have 425 heads for it so it'll be (baring a piston swap) a 500 hp/ 600 lb torque motor... all done at 4200 rpm. I will re-ring the motor and put a good cam in it, the heads, I'll probably simply swap valves from the 500 into the 425 heads and do a basic port.... all-in-all, dirt cheap fun.

So what I do I put it in?

*auto or manual, doesn't matter - I have the bits to do either.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Pinto or Vega.

Comment

65-70 Impala?

Comes to mind because there's been a 69 4 door hardtop up here in very nice condition and cheap that someone pulled the 327 out of and I have a stout 383 sitting on a stand. Could be a cool sleeper. I've been good though, I haven't pulled the trigger because I have too much going on right now

Comment

not to put my thumb on the scale, but what about this

Comment

A red X? Don't think it can handle the weight of the cad 500. Lol, can't see it, what is it?

Comment

1. First Gen Firebird, these seem to be affordable and available.
            2. Second Gen firebird.Camaro, Preferably the early 70 to 73 style.
            3. G-Body
            Last edited by mike343sharpstick; March 13, 2014, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Derby driver put one in his early 70's pickup, as we left the Colesium in Portland after a show, at 65 mph, he pulls alongside, waves bye and was gone..We both were loaded down for a night's show..

Comment

1975 to 1979 Cadillac Seville.. aka LWB 3rd gen Nova.

Comment

Studebaker truck.

Dan

Comment

I knew a guy who put one in a 62 ford F100 unibody truck.

Comment

Originally posted by VTJUNK View Post
                      A red X? Don't think it can handle the weight of the cad 500. Lol, can't see it, what is it?

Comment

Originally posted by VTJUNK View Post
                        what kind of mental deficit would it take to do something that silly? Really Dan, I think you've been inhaling too much mercedes

Comment

Nova, or any of the Buick Olds Pontiac equivalents!
                          The rougher it looks the better, kinda like Kurt Urban's Nova
                          Last edited by mike343sharpstick; March 13, 2014, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Put it in a Fox Mustang. That way there would be TWO Caddy mustangs on BangShift that are not finished!

oh Stiney where art thou?
                            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                              Put it in a Fox Mustang. That way there would be TWO Caddy mustangs on BangShift that are not finished!

oh Stiney where art thou?
                              why would anyone put a torque monster in a light-bodied car? that just makes no sense.

I like the suggestions, but what I'm looking for is something the purists won't care about (caddy in a BOP irritates me - which is why Brian continues to post up blog items about such monsters).... if I could find a golden hawk for cheap (haha), that would be it - and some 2.08 gears..... maybe something along the line of a Silver state classic car... dunno, I certainly don't have time for that - but this is something I'm thinking is a 10-years-away kind of project
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 13, 2014, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X