Tech Paranoid Anti-Tesla A-Holery In New Jersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Paranoid Anti-Tesla A-Holery In New Jersey

I think it is more Tesla's promise of thousands of free solar powered charging stations than preserving the traditional Dealer model.

Across the country, traditional car dealers with their hands in politicians' pockets are fighting Tesla to hold onto their monopolies guaranteed by outdated laws that make car-buying suck for everyone.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

It's not "tech paranoia." It's following nearly a century of law which does not allow manufacturers to monopolize and price-fix the retail sales of their products. If Tesla doesn't like the competitive dealer franchising laws, they should convince the public that they need to be changed in the legislatures of each state where they want to eliminate retail sales competition.

Dealer franchising laws would not seem to prohibit solar charging stations, any more than they prevent any other type of refueling station.

Moreover nothing would seem to prevent Tesla from requiring dealers of their products to provide such services as a condition of franchise. Nor is Tesla likely prohibited from contracting with any number of local utilities, garages, parking companies or other automotive service providers for solar recharging.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

It's just Republicans trying to protect business interests in their states. Dealer franchising laws are less about protecting from price-fixing as it is about keeping the middle-man in business. Direct automobile sales will be a benefit to us all...unless of course you own or work for a dealership.
      1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
      1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS View Post
        It's just Republicans trying to protect business interests in their states. Dealer franchising laws are less about protecting from price-fixing as it is about keeping the middle-man in business. Direct automobile sales will be a benefit to us all...unless of course you own or work for a dealership.
        how about states protecting there tax base.. THE REAL ISSUE... look around.. your robbing your neighborhoods dry.. as they are loosing huge money in taxes, because brick and mortor stores are going under,, (prop tax/business tax/labor tax/sales tax./etc) while everyone buys off the web.. skirting taxes.. Tesla's deal is the same thing.. lost of taxes.. from a sale of item into their state..
        your rub about the (right) is funny. as you'll then out the other side of your mouth say, there are no local jobs.. pttff..
        sorry.. it's time. that every state start protecting their tax base and job's. I don't like taxes anymore than anyone else.. but it's high time buying online charged sales tax for sales in states with sales tax.. as online sales rape, YES rape your own neighbor hood of the funds to give you schools/police/fire/roads/libraries/etc

Comment

Rut Roh, politics..... Chad, Brian, am I in deep doo doo here?

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
            Rut Roh, politics..... Chad, Brian, am I in deep doo doo here?
            nop. said my thought and I'll leave it at that..

Comment

Dealer franchising laws are not a partisan issue. They've been passed and historically supported by members of both major political parties. They exist in both "red" and "blue" states alike. They protect consumers by insuring some level of competition and help prevent manufacturer price fixing. They also help protect the approximately 900,000 jobs supported by the franchised retail automotive dealer distribution system.

Only one post in this thread (post #3) violates forum rules, IMO. There is no need or factual basis to inject any partisanship into this discussion.

Comment

Well, I still root for Tesla, anything with a Saleen sticker and free fuel I wanna see built.

Comment

Originally posted by 38P View Post
                  Dealer franchising laws are not a partisan issue. They've been passed and historically supported by members of both major political parties. They exist in both "red" and "blue" states alike. They protect consumers by insuring some level of competition and help prevent manufacturer price fixing. They also help protect the approximately 900,000 jobs supported by the franchised retail automotive dealer distribution system.

Only one post in this thread (post #3) violates forum rules, IMO. There is no need or factual basis to inject any partisanship into this discussion.
                  The reason I said it was because, at the moment, the only states that are outright banning direct Tesla sales are staunch Republican strongholds. Yes, all states are looking at the tax issue- including mine which is slightly more than 50 percent Democrat, but for some reason New Jersey (D/R), Texas (R) and Arizona (R) are the only ones completely against Tesla with no wiggle room. There's a common reason somewhere in there. Georgia (R) only allows them to sell 150 cars a year and is ending the electric car $5,000 tax credit buying incentive. Colorado (D/R) and Virginia (D/R) both have limits as well. Ohio has a bill in work that will prevent Tesla from owning dealerships in the state, and in turn will prevent them from having any storefront presence at all. Dealers are pressing Cuomo (D) to do that same in New York (D), but he's not having any of it...yet. There is a bi-partisan issue of tax-base, however you have to realize most states have their tax laws written so sales tax is paid by the buyer at the time of registration. But there's something else that is swaying one side of the aisle to protect the archaic dealership system more than the other side. So, I think there's some factual basis to inject 'partisanship' into the discussion of why Tesla is getting shut-out. Should be noted I'm not sharing my personal feelings or political leanings in this. But I don't think it's fair to dismiss something that I see as glaringly obvious.

Interesting look at the issue here:
                  1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
                  1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

It seems to me since these are really expensive cars, that the people that really want one could just get one straight from the factory " store " in California . Sort of like I can buy a car in another state and take it home and register it. And pay the taxes. On the political side, I can see it both ways.
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

The reason I said it was because, at the moment, the only states that are outright banning direct Tesla sales are staunch Republican strongholds. Yes, all states are looking at the tax issue- including mine which is slightly more than 50 percent Democrat, but for some reason New Jersey (D/R), Texas (R) and Arizona (R) are the only ones completely against Tesla with no wiggle room. There's a common reason somewhere in there. Georgia (R) only allows them to sell 150 cars a year and is ending the electric car $5,000 tax credit buying incentive. Colorado (D/R) and Virginia (D/R) both have limits as well. Ohio has a bill in work that will prevent Tesla from owning dealerships in the state, and in turn will prevent them from having any storefront presence at all. Dealers are pressing Cuomo (D) to do that same in New York (D), but he's not having any of it...yet. There is a bi-partisan issue of tax-base, however you have to realize most states have their tax laws written so sales tax is paid by the buyer at the time of registration. But there's something else that is swaying one side of the aisle to protect the archaic dealership system more than the other side. So, I think there's some factual basis to inject 'partisanship' into the discussion of why Tesla is getting shut-out. Should be noted I'm not sharing my personal feelings or political leanings in this. But I don't think it's fair to dismiss something that I see as glaringly obvious.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...e-with-dealers
                      it's N.J. it's totally left.. just like my state.. the mob rules.. and (R) beside a name don't mean a thing..

Comment

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...e-with-dealers
                        difference is ,if you bought a new vette and bought it in cali. and drive it home to your state,, you state has chevy dealers..
                        tesla.. not so much..

Comment

So from what I'm reading Jersey is trying to shut down local businesses that sell you nothing.... now that's funny.

Comment

As an aside, Ford attempted to get into the direct retail end of the business during the disastrous, failed reign of Jac "the Knife" Nasser about 17 years ago (cashing in on the trend toward dealer group consolidations).

The Glass House Gang fairly quickly decided that all the legal and political hassles from upending the competitive franchise system, including near-universal ill-will it was creating in their own Dealers' council meetings, simply wasn't worth it.

I will say this . . . I bought my '98 SVT Cobra from a Ford-owned store with Saturn-like salaried help (no commissions, I was told) . . . Customer service and sales staff knowledge wasn't nearly as good as at a franchised dealer . . . They were just little bureaucrats who didn't seem to care whether or not they sold anything . . . .

Comment

Working...
                            X