Drivers Permit Time For Joe the 3rd. Window Shopping for Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
    You must have some interesting experience. I dont see how driving a 2wd pickup is any more dangerous than if I put him behind the wheel of any similar year auto. But, thats just me, opinions and experience may vary. I guess because I grew up around pickups, drove them my whole life maybe I am blind to these horrible things you seem to have endured. Now, are we talking Blazers and Broncos, Suburbans and Explorers and the like? those are out of the question. But a low profile 2x2 pickup? I guess we may have to agree to disagree.
    yup, if you roll a 2wd p/u you'd roll the car also.. so it be moot..

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post

Just ask the 112 adults killed in their Explorers with nothing more than a blow out. Jerk the wheel and stab the brake on an SUV; the world will be upside down out your windshield.

and why every driver when taking the drivers lic test should have to answer what you do it you have a blow out.. hitting the brakes is a big no no

Comment

Originally posted by 38P View Post

It wasn't a jerk at the wheel or a stab of the brake that likely killed most of 'em . .

According to some expert witness/accident reconstruction reports, the defective Firestone tires delaminated, but instead of fully "gatoring," the tread section would wrap around the axle while still attached to the tire carcass on one end, stopping wheel rotation, and causing a sudden loss of control.

Ford generally got tagged under products liability theory because factory-recommended inflation pressure was, according to some experts, too low and allegedly wasn't sufficiently tested in warm climates, and lack of a technically-feasible TPMS was alleged to have contributed to the tread separation defect.
        That's odd,, warmer climates,= hotter roads,= more heat in tire that in turn = more psi in the tire... so if the psi was to low the colder climates should've been the ones with the issues..
        Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; March 19, 2014, 03:42 PM.

Comment

NERF . . . you have a right to your opinion, but the statistics simply don't support it. Trucks and SUVs roll over in a much greater proportion to their overall numbers in the national vehicle fleet. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good rationalization. And most of them just don't turn or stop as well either.

That being said, each parent has to assess the risk and plan for it based on their own judgment. My folks let me assemble and whip a tire-melting 350 h.p. G.T.O.-powered Le Mans when I was a 16-year-old . . Yet some parents of my classmates got nervous when their kids borrowed 25-h.p. VWs or glacially-slow, smogged-out Cadillacs . . . .

And not every kiddo is the same. Some of 'em would be dangerous with a foam-covered 25 m.p.h. minivan. Others can easily learn to safely handle an 800 h.p. "Trophy Truck" . . . .

Comment

AGREED!
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

NERF . . . you have a right to your opinion, but the statistics simply don't support it. Trucks and SUVs roll over in a much greater proportion to their overall numbers in the national vehicle fleet. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good rationalization. And most of them just don't turn or stop as well either.

That being said, each parent has to assess the risk and plan for it based on their own judgment. My folks let me assemble and whip a tire-melting 350 h.p. G.T.O.-powered Le Mans when I was a 16-year-old . . Yet some parents of my classmates got nervous when their kids borrowed 25-h.p. VWs or glacially-slow, smogged-out Cadillacs . . . .

And not every kiddo is the same. Some of 'em would be dangerous with a foam-covered 25 m.p.h. minivan. Others can easily learn to safely handle an 800 h.p. "Trophy Truck" . . . .

sorry, that's because you are lumping 2 wheel drive trucks with 4x4 and suv's..
              fact is not many 4x2 trucks roll over., you have to really REALLY try.. as most 4x2 reg cab trucks are not that high.. and are not that heavy.. and don't have the top heavy issues that a 4x4 (taller) or excab 4x4 more weight up high,, or an suv..
              Truth of the matter, most trucks that roll are the nanny equipt ones.. the yawn/abs/traction controlled ones.. most rolls are from a slide or quick lane change.. the problem is.. the none nanny truck.. it slides and you lock up the rears to allow it NOT TO catch traction.. the nanny controlled units as you slide they are doing everything to get the wheels traction... and when it does, over you go..
              The problem with your thinking is, you are putting a truck with no real top heavy issues, and no real height in with trucks that either have the height or the top heavy issues or both..
              no matter, most trucks get rolled because the driver thinks it'll handle like their tiny Honda did.. Basic physics must not have been a popular class.. as many just don't get any of it.. and between that and the nanny controls, there is 50% more car roll overs than before... and no amount of computer logic will ever replace the human brain of when to know you don't want traction.. you want the thing to slide, cars today get clipped and over they go.. and they are much heavier and much lower than the older vehicles .
              Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; March 19, 2014, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I guess the 2wd pickup rollovers I've seen were just imaginary . . . HEY, LOOK! IS THAT A UNICORN?

This just in . . . Indy officials announce the 500 will be contested with stock-ride height pickup trucks . . . because NERF "scientists" have now proven with "interweb" logic that roll center height, roll couples, polar moment of inertia, and weight distribution no longer have any effect on handling!

Keep on Truckin' . . . .

Comment

There are way too many kids these days that really need to be properly instructed on HOW to PROPERLY operate a motor vehicle... not just in drivers ed either... My first car was a 65 chevelle with bad tires, nearly worthless manual brakes, V8, 117 thousand mile suspension, Armstrong steering, in northeastern Iowa... did I mention that it snows here? I dearly loved that death trap even though it burned oil like a freight train... I will tend to wager that any truck that you decide to put your son in will be better maintained and operable than a lot of bangshifters firsts... do not quench your son's dreams of a truck... teach him how to work on it and make it handle better than most...remember a well trained driver can make up for a lot of vehicle shortcomings as long as the cell phone and other distractions are kept in check...
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I guess the 2wd pickup rollovers I've seen were just imaginary . . . HEY, LOOK! IS THAT A UNICORN?

This just in . . . Indy officials announce the 500 will be contested with stock-ride height pickup trucks . . . because NERF "scientists" have now proven with "interweb" logic that roll center height, roll couples, polar moment of inertia, and weight distribution no longer have any effect on handling!

Keep on Truckin' . . . .

no.. buddy.. but they are less likely to roll than a top heavy suv or a 4x4
                    you might want to look at how many cars a year roll over.. and they are inches from the ground.. we get it, you rolled a truck..
                    I've had a p/u for 28 years, sliding them around corners,, in dry/wet snow and ice...
                    even did 360's on highways in my 88 f-250 with 33"
                    I'm sure Joe will teach him how to handle the truck.. and what not to do if a tire lets go..
                    how did any old trucks make it till now.. the way you act they all should've been pancaked by now..
                    Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; March 19, 2014, 05:01 PM.

Comment

you two jagoffs have hijacked my thread and turned it into shit...thanks
                      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                      X