formula 1 thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• formula 1 thoughts

i've been a big fan of F1 for a long time. i'm not digging the new turbo v-6. actually sounds very lame and annoying. will the series become as lame as indy? no v-8s. lower redline.

Please! Just shoot me! GP may be coming to Long Beach and it may get lame too? Friday of race weekend is free with a newspaper coupon. Champ Car ran qualifying heats, fun stuff, even on Friday. Now with Indy Car it is practice and tire scuffing. It only LOOKED lame until the announcer said "Marco Andretti, you are being warned for SPEEDING and may be fined". Sure there were ALMS and other classes, but the fastest cars were just stroking around. If anyone is interested I will watch for the coupons though. Free day at the races isn't bad.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

F1 is all about change, some seen, some not. Cutting edge is not 5.0l turbo any more. The new tiny 1.5l (?) turbo V6 is more relative in the new world and KERS is IMHO vey cool,I am not a fan of the limited use rule,it should be available whenever the driver wishes to use it. Same with the wing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone03 View Post
        F1 is all about change, some seen, some not. Cutting edge is not 5.0l turbo any more. The new tiny 1.5l (?) turbo V6 is more relative in the new world and KERS is IMHO vey cool,I am not a fan of the limited use rule,it should be available whenever the driver wishes to use it. Same with the wing.
        that really is small.

going way back in time, the smallest engine ever to win a lemans or sebring... inline four @ 1.5 liters.

I understand some of the sizing, but that v6.. blah.

the improved kers using exhaust is very interesting. they must be skipping right over the v6 errors anyway.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Its lost the shriek for a far more techno advanced powertrain. I miss the shriek.
          I'm still learning

Comment

I love watching F1, but I'm with the OP - the noise really is bothersome.... and to me, if I'm going to spend a Sunday baking in the stands; I want a complete entertainment - not one with mild entertainment and gross annoyance (if I wanted that, I could go to a dog show with my wife).
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

They have to sell folks on the "joys" of our <1-liter three-cylinder hybrid electric "robot car" future . . .

There's no reason why Indy and F1 couldn't have gone with downsized turbo V8s, other than the needs to feign "relevance" and produce propaganda for insufficient cylinder counts in consumer cars.

At least they had some proper V12s ripping on Turner Classic Movies last night when they replayed . . .

Comment

The sounds I loved when I was a dumb kid who naively believed in the future . . . .

Comment

thats funny, i watched some of le mans last night. cool vintage race cars.

while watching f1 practice last night i thought they sounded like moto gp bikes from a couple of years ago. i think it was an 800cc rule then?
                  maybe not the best analogy, but could you imagine nascar running v-6s with a no refueling rule?
                  i saw a test of an electric dragster a while back,...its just not the same with out the noise.
                  even with f1 going to turbo v-6s, i cant understand reducing the redline/rev limit? at least let them rev to the moon.
                  maybe it's bernie ecelstones' plan to run f1 into the ground before he retires?
                  "the pinnacle of motorsports",....my azz.

Comment

Grand Prix was another great - the rides of that time were pure sex. Looks, sounds... they just had it. I wish I could get the movie without all those bothersome human noises.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

And it aired on Turner Classic Movies right after "Le Mans" yesterday (I fell asleep during the bitchin scenes on the now-unused Monza oval) . . . .

I've got to say that Pete Aron (James Garner) "bangin' the gong" with Scott Stoddard's (Brian Bedford) wife . . . after blocking him at Monaco with a balky car and partly causing a crash that put ol' Scotty into the hospital . . . was pretty dog-gone low-down . . . even for a narcissistic Formula One driver . . . .

So the tired, bed-hoppin,' '60s free-lovin' filler material between races in "Grand Prix" is a tad melodramatic and tiresome . . . . The racing scenes are top notch . . . .

Comment

grand prix is an awesome movie. but i dont care for all the talking/acting either. must have been great back in the day watching those cars hit the high banks?

anybody know if new york/new jersey ever got approved for an f1 race? or is that next year?

Comment

Maybe they will keep whacking of cylinders and I can compete with may racing cart. Maybe I should wait. If they only go down to 4 then a hayabusa motor should be competitive.
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                          X