Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2007 ford focus - to buy or not (wife commuter car)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 ford focus - to buy or not (wife commuter car)

So we go today to check out a '07 focus SE 2.0 auto. Has 39,598 on the clock. Asking 6800.......rebuilt from light accident but no salvage title, just normal clean. Any input? She has 240,000 on the '02 Cavalier we bought new....we intend to roll the miles on this one now.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Don't know much about foci. If you put 200k on it that will be 3.4 cents per mile. The repair would not bother me but I would expect to pay less than the going rate for one that had not been banged up.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
      Don't know much about foci. If you put 200k on it that will be 3.4 cents per mile. The repair would not bother me but I would expect to pay less than the going rate for one that had not been banged up.
      not to put too fine a point on it, but that would be .042 per mile... 200000 - 39598 is only 160402. Daughter's had about 215,000 on her '00 when she sold it, still running and driving.

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

somehow I think this fits with my "what to put a 500 ci cadillac into?" thread

with that said, a friend just (Friday) bought a 2001 Focus with 15k miles for 4500 - point is, there's a billion of them that were blue-hair cars; so low miles and cheap prices are pretty plentiful if this one doesn't pan out
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

they do something strange at the rear left arch root, below door... I remember you are in a cold climate, that has the ingredient to do this.

they seem to run a long time, and start good in the cold.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

You can do better, here's one with a few more miles for $6450 Obo..

Last edited by tardis454; March 15, 2014, 02:41 PM.

Comment

My brother has an 07 that he has owned for about 4 years, he has a fairly long daily commute and has pounded the miles on. It's been pretty trouble-free, he keeps up with basic maintenance, and didn't have to do front brakes until about 115,000 miles.

The 05 - 07 cars were the first "refresh" of the original Focus that was for North America only ... in Europe they got a 2nd gen car that shared a platform with the Mazda 3. Working at the dealership, I can't say that I have seen any real chronic issues with the 05 - 07 cars, just noisy front stab bar end links that they all seem to get eventually.

If you can get the VIN, send me a p.m. with it and I will check to see if there is anything goofy showing in the warranty history.

cheers
              Ed
              Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
              07 Mustang GT with some stuff
              88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                Originally posted by Beagle View Post

not to put too fine a point on it, but that would be .042 per mile... 200000 - 39598 is only 160402. Daughter's had about 215,000 on her '00 when she sold it, still running and driving.

I said if YOU put 200k when its done it will have 240k like the current DD I think my math is good
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Thanks Ed! PM on its way. They are willing to take less Eric. I'll check into that red one you found too, thanks! Hope the new gig is still going well.
                  Originally posted by fast Ed View Post
                  My brother has an 07 that he has owned for about 4 years, he has a fairly long daily commute and has pounded the miles on. It's been pretty trouble-free, he keeps up with basic maintenance, and didn't have to do front brakes until about 115,000 miles. The 05 - 07 cars were the first "refresh" of the original Focus that was for North America only ... in Europe they got a 2nd gen car that shared a platform with the Mazda 3. Working at the dealership, I can't say that I have seen any real chronic issues with the 05 - 07 cars, just noisy front stab bar end links that they all seem to get eventually. If you can get the VIN, send me a p.m. with it and I will check to see if there is anything goofy showing in the warranty history. cheers Ed
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

is that one of the yeas that the air filter is a hole unit that you can't just replace the filter media.?

Comment

I have a 05 focus wagon as a d/d with 167 k on it and its still going strong and would buy another in a second especially with only 39 k on the clock
                      $6800 seems a little high but Kelly blue book says $7500 but I think they are high
                      your kids can have their own racecar www.aasbd.org

Comment

We bought an 07 new. Traded it off 2 years ago for something bigger. Nice little car and worked well for us. Price on that one seems a bit high with the accident info but the low miles may make it worthwhile.
                        Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                        74 Nova Project
                        66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                        79 Chevy Truck Project
                        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

We were teetering on buying one for the daughter last year. I was understanding that problems were the ignition switch, brakes that don't last for crap and the valve seats dropping out...but that may be different for different years.

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                          is that one of the yeas that the air filter is a hole unit...
                          I thought all air filters were hole units...

Comment

A friend of mine up here buys them all the time and runs them up to 200,000 then sells them off, most of the time getting his money out if them. He drives. ALOT. He picks them up with high miles for $500-$1,000 needing rocker panels or minor mechanical repairs and runs the hell out out of them. They're cheap to repair if they ever do need anything, and there's tons of them in the salvage yards. He has 3 of them now in the family. For the miles on that one but taking into consideration it has accident history I'd say more like $4500-5000

Comment

I did a 2000 and 2002 that were collision repairs. They were both still running except the 2000 finally would go no further without maintenance - it has about 115K last I knew. It needed (get that!) a set of plugs and the idiot boyfriend was unable to screw them out of the head. It's still in Michigan. Technology had evidently passed the lad by. The 2002 is here in NC and it went down the food chain to the adult daughter of friends of ours and is still going strong with who-knows-how-many miles. I like Foci - anvils.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X