The 70's Food Supply Chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    We used to get REAL (red) pistachios in 5 lb. Germac bags from Eastern Market in downtown Detroit. They weren't TOO pricey from down there. We'd drink Boone's Farm (usually strawberry) and shuck nuts whilst listening to groovy music - Jefferson Airplane, 10 Wheel Drive, etc. These kids will never know........

The rumor was that the pistachios were treated with iodine and that's why they were red and why it wouldn't come off your hands. I think they were better but maybe that's just my old memory making everything better in the olden days or yore.

Dan
    Thanks Dan, I knew you'd show up to help out. The red pistachios....I hadn't heard the iodine theory, but that's a good one, might be right. Later in life I figured it was red dye #10, the stuff they took off of the market in Ralph Nader's day, since anything bad for you (including Corvairs) should be banned.

And I do believe you are right - the dyed red ones WERE better, but like you, I can't explain why.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I just had 70 Z28 for lunch... it was nasty, but I ate it anyway.

Comment

Funny you should start this thread.......Mary just made a dessert for our church pot-luck dinner today, and in honor of St. Pattie's day she made it with pistachio pudding and green food coloring. I spent an hour yesterday cracking pistachios, and have the traditional split thumb nails from trying to split the ones that aren't cracked open very far................but it's worth it, man, it's good!
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
          Funny you should start this thread.......Mary just made a dessert for our church pot-luck dinner today, and in honor of St. Pattie's day she made it with pistachio pudding and green food coloring. I spent an hour yesterday cracking pistachios, and have the traditional split thumb nails from trying to split the ones that aren't cracked open very far................but it's worth it, man, it's good!
          Give Mary a hug - she puts up with you all the time and the rest of us at rare intervals. And tell Earl that Red said "hey." Earl won't who Red is, but he'll know what Red means.

Comment

was coors better back then, because it's like drinking piss now..

Comment

I didn't have much money back when Billy Beer came out... Bought 4-12 packs... Drank one, put 3 in the attic..friends came over, took one out, drank it, I had 2... Moved into a smaller house so Dad and I drank one, then friends came for a housewarming, we drank the rest... Never was good, nor worth what I paid, no regrets...if it becomes valuable..do me a favor and say nothing!

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                I didn't have much money back when Billy Beer came out... Bought 4-12 packs... Drank one, put 3 in the attic..friends came over, took one out, drank it, I had 2... Moved into a smaller house so Dad and I drank one, then friends came for a housewarming, we drank the rest... Never was good, nor worth what I paid, no regrets...if it becomes valuable..do me a favor and say nothing!
                I didn't have much money then either. Well, none really. But that Billy Beer....a gold mine. Nope.

Comment

pistachios.. I go superhero after eating them. I learned they were anti-oxidant, as a nut that is quite unique (I am strangely poisoned) on a kick lately to buy in pounds of stuff , recently I brought home 75 pounds of food from a sams club. I'll go for some pistachios next time, 4 pound bags.

speaking of high fiber.. I have 12 pounds dry of that quaker 40 grain oatmeal, I eat a ton of it.(having some right now, its cold out)
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 16, 2014, 05:57 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                  X